From 2017 M4 competition to 997.1 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:40 PM
977turbo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From 2017 M4 competition to 997.1 turbo

Hello,

I am new to this forum, in fact I signed up today.

Generally speaking, Porsche has never ever crossed my mind for many reasons and mainly they don't sound nice (I hope I didn't offend anyone- this is just my opinion). I owned a handful of powerful cars within the past 10 years, and the last 4 years I have been only driving M cars. I had 2013 M3 Limerock edition (competition) and last year I bought 2017 M4 competition package and very happy with the car.

However, recently, I have been reviewing and reading articles about Porsche. In fact, I went to my local P. dealership and put my name on the list for the next GT4. While doing research and looking up cars, I came across a 2007 997 turbo with only 12000 miles, the car also has the liberty walk wide body kit. Although I like the car, I am hesitant to get it since I have never owned Porsche before.

The price of this turbo 997 is very close to a 2016 GT4 (only 400 miles). My question to all Porsche experts on this forum is which one would pick and why.

Thank you in advance,
S.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:06 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Why are you getting a Porsche? If it is to track, I would go GT4, if you are looking for a multi purpose car, then you can consider the 997, just be aware of the issues, coolant pipes & cam pinning being the two big ones. If you track it seems the possibility of these two issues increases. For me I want to change the stock clutch since it is not as predictable as any other stick car I have owned. I do not track (maybe I will some day at a driver event) so this car is perfect for me.

Ed
Old 04-16-2018, 02:30 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 977turbo
Hello,

Generally speaking, Porsche has never ever crossed my mind for many reasons and mainly they don't sound nice (I hope I didn't offend anyone- this is just my opinion). I owned a handful of powerful cars within the past 10 years, and the last 4 years I have been only driving M cars. I had 2013 M3 Limerock edition (competition) and last year I bought 2017 M4 competition package and very happy with the car.

Thank you in advance,
S.
LOL!

Just busting your chops. A 997TT with a liberty walk body kit... I suppose if that's your thing, but you would be massively departing from what a 997TT (stock or mildly modded) would be like. If it has a LW body kit, what else is modified? By who? Using what parts?

This is completely unreasonable comparison to a 400 mile GT4. A butchered Liberty Walk 997TT is about the opposite end of the Porsche spectrum from a GT4. In this case, the GT4 is a no brainer IMO. And it sounds better stock than the 997TT regardless of what exhaust gets installed.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:45 PM
Chinboys
5th Gear

Ah, the dark side of the Porsche 911 has caught your attention 997Turbo. You will be in conflict or not.
I know too well as I ventured into this type of car some 6 years ago.

I own both a 2011 BMW E93 with DCT and a 2007 Porsche 997.1 turbo.
Like children, the two vehicles have their strong points and weak points.
Like children, I happen to love both vehicles and am lucky not to have to just pick one as a favorite.

I don't track either car and use them accordingly on the purpose of the trip or drive.
The BMW will carry 4 adults and the P car won't (my 8-year-old nephew complains of being cramped and hot in the back seat).
The P car does show its age in terms of social media based connectivity as I am now upgrading the radio\NAV unit to a more modern unit (Pioneer AVIC 8200 with both iphone and Android smart phone use).
You will be expected to drive accurately and fast by many on the road you share with. And the police will be very happy to give you speeding tickets if you are caught.
Maintenance service and items will be slightly more on the older P car.
Insurance is about the same.

Lastly, if you don't see the other vehicle's side mirrors or rear view mirror, the other driver won't see you park right behind them in a left turning lane at a stop light. They will back up and front end your P car when backing up to move into right lane to turn right.
Yes , the P car is much lower than SUV or regular automobiles and is in their blind spot.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM
977turbo
AutoX

Originally Posted by lliejk
Why are you getting a Porsche? If it is to track, I would go GT4, if you are looking for a multi purpose car, then you can consider the 997, just be aware of the issues, coolant pipes & cam pinning being the two big ones. If you track it seems the possibility of these two issues increases. For me I want to change the stock clutch since it is not as predictable as any other stick car I have owned. I do not track (maybe I will some day at a driver event) so this car is perfect for me.

Ed
I am not looking for a track car, I don't usually track my cars.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:56 PM
977turbo
AutoX

Originally Posted by cstyles
LOL!

Just busting your chops. A 997TT with a liberty walk body kit... I suppose if that's your thing, but you would be massively departing from what a 997TT (stock or mildly modded) would be like. If it has a LW body kit, what else is modified? By who? Using what parts?

This is completely unreasonable comparison to a 400 mile GT4. A butchered Liberty Walk 997TT is about the opposite end of the Porsche spectrum from a GT4. In this case, the GT4 is a no brainer IMO. And it sounds better stock than the 997TT regardless of what exhaust gets installed.
The car is not heavily modified. Aside form the body kit, the car is lowered and has an aftermarket exhaust, that's all.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:11 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

There's a wide gap in power, handling, tech/electronics, and price between the two cars -- at least if the GT4 is priced like the ones I see around here (well over $100K). Also of course the 997 is somewhat of a 4-seater/2+2. If those are not showstoppers for you then I would strongly recommend driving both and also getting a thorough PPI before deciding to pull the trigger on either.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:14 PM
977turbo
AutoX

Originally Posted by Chinboys
Ah, the dark side of the Porsche 911 has caught your attention 997Turbo. You will be in conflict or not.

Like children, I happen to love both vehicles and am lucky not to have to just pick one as a favorite.

I don't track either car and use them accordingly on the purpose of the trip or drive.
The BMW will carry 4 adults and the P car won't (my 8-year-old nephew complains of being cramped and hot in the back seat).
The P car does show its age in terms of social media based connectivity as I am now upgrading the radio\NAV unit to a more modern unit (Pioneer AVIC 8200 with both iphone and Android smart phone use).
You will be expected to drive accurately and fast by many on the road you share with. And the police will be very happy to give you speeding tickets if you are caught.

Lastly, if you don't see the other vehicle's side mirrors or rear view mirror, the other driver won't see you park right behind them in a left turning lane at a stop light. They will back up and front end your P car when backing up to move into right lane to turn right.
Yes , the P car is much lower than SUV or regular automobiles and is in their blind spot.

This is very helpful coming from an M owner! I am not worried about how many people the car can carry. Also what type of maintenance I am expecting to preform on 12000 miles car like this?
Old 04-17-2018, 12:16 PM
977turbo
AutoX

Originally Posted by campbellcj
There's a wide gap in power, handling, tech/electronics, and price between the two cars -- at least if the GT4 is priced like the ones I see around here (well over $100K). Also of course the 997 is somewhat of a 4-seater/2+2. If those are not showstoppers for you then I would strongly recommend driving both and also getting a thorough PPI before deciding to pull the trigger on either.
The last thing I want to worry about is the space, it doesn't matter if its 2 seats pr 4. But do you think 997 with 12000 miles worth as much as GT4?
Old 04-17-2018, 01:29 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

From what I have read any modifications to the 997's will decrease it's value. I did not know what the Liberty Walk wide body was all about, so I did some googling, and for me that modification is just not something I would ever do to any car. When you mentioned that I was thinking the widebody kit that TPC offers, which makes more sense (to me).

So, based on what others have said about the value for a GT4 (a race car in my opinion and something that if I tracked the car would make that a more attractive choice) and the value of a modified 997, I cannot imagine the 997 would come even close to the GT4. Now I have not done ANY searching to confirm that, it is based on what I have read over the past couple of years regarding Porsche Turbos from the 996 & 997 worlds and the occasional posts about GT2, 3 & 4's.

Personally I feel the two vehicles are completely different animals, with the transaxle setup and 2 wheel drive of the GT series being the biggest difference, not to mention the electronics and other more comfort driven approach of a non modified 997 making it a more of a street car. At the same time that doesn't mean I would not modify a 997 (coilovers, sways, DSC & tune are either done or in the plans for me) and run some track days every so often (if the wife lets me!)

So, for me:

1. This modified 997 value should not come close to the GT4 (non modified 997's should range from $50K (high miles, not well cared for) to $85K (low mile .2's) compare to $100K or more for a GT4
2. If I am not tracking the car I would be looking for a low mile non-modified 997
3. If I am tracking the car I would get the GT4

Ed
Old 04-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 977turbo
Hello,

However, recently, I have been reviewing and reading articles about Porsche. In fact, I went to my local P. dealership and put my name on the list for the next GT4. While doing research and looking up cars, I came across a 2007 997 turbo with only 12000 miles, the car also has the liberty walk wide body kit. Although I like the car, I am hesitant to get it since I have never owned Porsche before.

The price of this turbo 997 is very close to a 2016 GT4 (only 400 miles). My question to all Porsche experts on this forum is which one would pick and why.

Thank you in advance,
S.
Drive a 997 GT3 with a aftermarket exhaust and report back to us.

View this post on Instagram
Old 04-17-2018, 02:44 PM
997TTEQNY
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

That Liberty Walk 997 has more plastic surgery than Joan Rivers did.

No one will want it in the long run and resale will be a nightmare.

A 997 turbo will never sounds as good as a n/a variant thats a given.

However, I still think it sounds better than an m4 which sounds like a cross between a honda civic and a weed wacker with the exhaust valves open.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:13 PM
977turbo
AutoX

Originally Posted by Chinboys

I wrote a long reply to you but i am not sure why it's not showing....
Old 04-17-2018, 04:14 PM
977turbo
AutoX

Originally Posted by lliejk

Ed
even with a low mileage 997?
Old 04-17-2018, 04:16 PM
977turbo
AutoX

Originally Posted by 997TTEQNY
That Liberty Walk 997 has more plastic surgery than Joan Rivers did.

No one will want it in the long run and resale will be a nightmare.

A 997 turbo will never sounds as good as a n/a variant thats a given.

However, I still think it sounds better than an m4 which sounds like a cross between a honda civic and a weed wacker with the exhaust valves open.
I have M4 competition package with M performance exhaust, and it sounds no near a civic. Crackles and pops no stop.

Quick Reply: From 2017 M4 competition to 997.1 turbo