Sponsored by:

SpeedTech Quiet Exhaust Install some pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 07:35 PM
boomboom
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default SpeedTech Quiet Exhaust Install some pics

Hi everyone. Wanted to do a small write up on the SpeedTech Quiet Exhaust I completed about 2.5 weeks ago. First have to mention that John and Chad at SpeedTech were great to work with. Highly recommend them for the product and customer support.
I initially installed the 2.5 X-Pipe and it turned out to be too loud for my taste. I have an 08 TT Cab. The guys at SpeedTech gladly exchanged it for the 2.5 X-Pipe Quiet system. Long story short I have added sound deadening to the rear seat area in order to diminish a bit of drone. Yes even the Quiet system has some drone and manageable by many, but for me and my wife was a bit overbearing. The sound deadening helped out tremendously. Performance is excellent and on a recent Porsche cruise here in Georgia had many owners express how great it sounds. Especially when you wind it out a bit.
A few coments when doing this exhaust replacement:
1) Be patient and don't rush.
2) Soak the crap out of the Turbo nuts and studs before attempting to remove. Get some decent swivels and combo wrenches (with thin walls).
3) Do yourself a favor and remove the intercoolers in order to access the heat shields. Take the time to clean everything you can and inspect the hoses etc.
4) Make sure to seat the intercooler hoses well otherwise they will blow off and you'll think you blew up your motor.
5) Remove the Air Filter Housing and the Y Plenum. It will be worth doing this so you can disconnect the O2 sensors properly and again inspect items normally not accessible.
6) Don't forget to connect the rear license plate light when reinstalling the rear bumper cover. Did this twice by mistake. First with the original system, then with the quiet system.

I'll be posting the pics of the sound deadening done on the doors on another post. Car runs better as you can hear the engine and thus know how the clutch is engaging. Definately woke it up and you'll get lots of nods of appreciation for the sound it now makes.

All the parts off to the side of the garage

Welcome, boomboom.
You last visited: Today at 06:31 AM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 656.

User CP

FAQ

Community

Calendar

Search
Old 04-07-2018, 08:28 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

That's quite a pile of parts for an exhaust install.. I typically don't remove the bumper crash bar nor the side heat shields.. I just carefully fold it up out of the way. You certainly got to "lay hands" on your car appreciate the engineering behind it. Good job.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:05 AM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

It looks like you were not far from being able to do the plugs as well.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:16 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ I hadn't thought of that, but you're right. Prob another hour or so and plugs and coils could be done.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:13 AM
boomboom
Rennlist Member

Car only has 16K miles and runs great. I'll wait until due for plugs, coils etc. It was easier to remove all the other items as only a few more nuts, bolts and screws. Really opened the working area and allows for good visual inspection.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:50 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great. I cannot get over how clean the whole area looks. Sheesh!
Old 04-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Was it hard to completely remove the heat shields that everyone seems to simply bend up? I favor just removing them completely...
Old 04-10-2018, 08:26 PM
boomboom
Rennlist Member

Was not too hard once the intercoolers are removed. I think I used a swivel with a 1/4 inch socket that I put the proper torx bit on the end. A little of a jury rig, but it worked. Takes a bit more time, but sure clears the way for looking at all that is underneath.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:42 PM
boomboom
Rennlist Member

All,
A follow up on the completion of adding sound deadening to the engine cover inside the convertible top space. Pealed back the original material from Porsche and added more Eastwood Sound Deadener to the complete area. Has made a considerable difference in assisting to cancel any drone. Still some drone, but so little. I am really picky about these types of things and many would have left things as they were. Very little drone from the Speedtech Quiet exhaust as is, but I am a bit over the top. Pics below of the area covered in deadener material. Original cover went back in place with a little 3M adhesive spray.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:22 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboom

All,
A follow up on the completion of adding sound deadening to the engine cover inside the convertible top space. Pealed back the original material from Porsche and added more Eastwood Sound Deadener to the complete area. Has made a considerable difference in assisting to cancel any drone. Still some drone, but so little. I am really picky about these types of things and many would have left things as they were. Very little drone from the Speedtech Quiet exhaust as is, but I am a bit over the top. Pics below of the area covered in deadener material. Original cover went back in place with a little 3M adhesive spray.
For those who are wondering, I tried this sound deadening on my 09 TT cab with the Speedtech "moderate" exhaust (unmuffled x-pipe) and it did not solve the drone - it seems to have lowered the resonant frequency a bit so the drone occurs lower in the 2k-3k RPM range so maybe I just need to add a layer of something really substantial like Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro, which is Mass Loaded Vinyl and closed cell foam combined into one. But sound can easily get around this panel, so not sure it's worth the expense/effort.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:47 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 294 Posts

whats the point going from quiet exhaust to quiet exhaust ?
Old 12-28-2020, 06:50 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markmark26
whats the point going from quiet exhaust to quiet exhaust ?
drone is annoying
Old 12-28-2020, 06:52 PM
markmark26
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 294 Posts

just put back OEM if you want quiet, no point spending $..

Originally Posted by acr89
drone is annoying
Old 12-28-2020, 06:56 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by markmark26
just put back OEM if you want quiet, no point spending $..
I have stage 2 though so I need the high flow cats. I may try the Kline system next.

Quick Reply: SpeedTech Quiet Exhaust Install some pics