KW V3 coilover spring question - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

KW V3 coilover spring question

Old 03-13-2018, 01:13 AM
onefastman
User

Default KW V3 coilover spring question

My 997.2 came with V3’s on it (electronic dampening functional) but the car is too low for my liking and I think the springs are too soft.

What springs can I swap out for the KW ones?

To avoid the obvious, no the car can’t be raised and yes, the shocks are set up properly.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:58 AM
onefastman
User

Any thoughts?

I would like to swap these for something else (higher rate and not as low), if possible.

Does anyone know if it is possible and which springs will work?

I am not overly familiar with suspension, will running a taller and stronger spring be an issue?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:02 PM
BUTZI996TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Any thoughts?

I would like to swap these for something else (higher rate and not as low), if possible.

Does anyone know if it is possible and which springs will work?

I am not overly familiar with suspension, will running a taller and stronger spring be an issue?
Hi there, I have a lot of experience with KWs and the 997. Do your coilovers have the helper springs removed? I have installed many KW V3s and I am always able to dial in ride height higher than your current height. It seems that your set up has been modified in some way. As for switching springs, while it’s doable I’d like to learn more about the current set up. I’m happy to help, shoot me a text 203-216-0951.

Cheers,

David
Old 03-25-2018, 12:07 PM
butzigear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I posted above from my personal account. Feel free to reach out to me here via PM as well.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:27 PM
onefastman
User

Default Update

A big thank you to David!

Looks like the previous owner installed them without the helper spring for the look....

After a lot of googling and old threads it appears that the springs are also incredibly soft and even with the helper springs many have had issues.

One solution that I found a few places was to swap the front springs to a 4K swift spring. I’ve ordered a pair of those and if they are sufficient then I’ll leave it alone and if not I’ll start looking for a set of stock suspension.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:22 PM
butzigear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by onefastman

A big thank you to David!

Looks like the previous owner installed them without the helper spring for the look....

After a lot of googling and old threads it appears that the springs are also incredibly soft and even with the helper springs many have had issues.

One solution that I found a few places was to swap the front springs to a 4K swift spring. I’ve ordered a pair of those and if they are sufficient then I’ll leave it alone and if not I’ll start looking for a set of stock suspension.
Good chat (via text), I'm glad I could help you out. Keep in touch and let's get this fixed for you. Have a great night.

David Esposito

owner/operator
Butzi Gear LLC - a Porsche centric speed shop in Milford, CT.
Personalized consulting, parts, tuning, customizing & complete builds for those that LOVE to drive
Contact David at:
[email protected] or call 203-713-8089 - we ship worldwide.
Akrapovic • BBI • BBS Motorsport • Brembo • Ceramic Pro • COBB • ERP • Fifteen52 • Fikse • GIAC • IPD
JRZ • Kline • Momo • KW • Ohlins • Porsche Motorsport • Recaro • Rennline • Tarett Engineering • XPEL & More
Old 03-26-2018, 04:43 PM
ShatterPoints
User

I'm curious to know the OEM spring rate vs the KW v3 spring rates and why people feel they are too "soft". Does anyone change their bump stops? (Material and height). If you are rubbing tire because you've gone too low then that is one thing vs bottoming out. However if the general "too soft" statement is the butt dyno talking then that is very purely subjective in nature. I am very surprised to find the same lack of planning no matter the car when it comes to suspension. People just buy an off the shelf item, slap it on, twist some ***** and the stiffer the better !!!... except thats not how to approach suspension modification IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: