Sponsored by:

KW V3 coilover spring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 01:13 AM
onefastman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW V3 coilover spring question

My 997.2 came with V3’s on it (electronic dampening functional) but the car is too low for my liking and I think the springs are too soft.

What springs can I swap out for the KW ones?

To avoid the obvious, no the car can’t be raised and yes, the shocks are set up properly.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:58 AM
onefastman
Intermediate

Any thoughts?

I would like to swap these for something else (higher rate and not as low), if possible.

Does anyone know if it is possible and which springs will work?

I am not overly familiar with suspension, will running a taller and stronger spring be an issue?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:02 PM
BUTZI996TT
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastman
Any thoughts?

I would like to swap these for something else (higher rate and not as low), if possible.

Does anyone know if it is possible and which springs will work?

I am not overly familiar with suspension, will running a taller and stronger spring be an issue?
Hi there, I have a lot of experience with KWs and the 997. Do your coilovers have the helper springs removed? I have installed many KW V3s and I am always able to dial in ride height higher than your current height. It seems that your set up has been modified in some way. As for switching springs, while it’s doable I’d like to learn more about the current set up. I’m happy to help, shoot me a text 203-216-0951.

Cheers,

David
Old 03-25-2018, 12:07 PM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted above from my personal account. Feel free to reach out to me here via PM as well.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:27 PM
onefastman
Intermediate

Default Update

A big thank you to David!

Looks like the previous owner installed them without the helper spring for the look....

After a lot of googling and old threads it appears that the springs are also incredibly soft and even with the helper springs many have had issues.

One solution that I found a few places was to swap the front springs to a 4K swift spring. I’ve ordered a pair of those and if they are sufficient then I’ll leave it alone and if not I’ll start looking for a set of stock suspension.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:22 PM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastman

A big thank you to David!

Looks like the previous owner installed them without the helper spring for the look....

After a lot of googling and old threads it appears that the springs are also incredibly soft and even with the helper springs many have had issues.

One solution that I found a few places was to swap the front springs to a 4K swift spring. I’ve ordered a pair of those and if they are sufficient then I’ll leave it alone and if not I’ll start looking for a set of stock suspension.
Good chat (via text), I'm glad I could help you out. Keep in touch and let's get this fixed for you. Have a great night.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:43 PM
ShatterPoints
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm curious to know the OEM spring rate vs the KW v3 spring rates and why people feel they are too "soft". Does anyone change their bump stops? (Material and height). If you are rubbing tire because you've gone too low then that is one thing vs bottoming out. However if the general "too soft" statement is the butt dyno talking then that is very purely subjective in nature. I am very surprised to find the same lack of planning no matter the car when it comes to suspension. People just buy an off the shelf item, slap it on, twist some ***** and the stiffer the better !!!... except thats not how to approach suspension modification IMO.

Quick Reply: KW V3 coilover spring question