Sponsored by:

PASM failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PASM failure

I looked at related threads but no real help.
My 2007 with Bilstein PSS9s recently developed PASM failure after battery went dead. Took to dealer, they found open circuit (short) at LF damper wire. I sent damper to Bilstein, where they tested and found that damper was operating entirely within specs, and worked as intended on their PASM simulator. Damper back in, but can't get rid of PASM failure. Before going back to dealer, wondering if anyone has had similar problem, and any remedy. BTW, no ECU mod, or anything else. Dampers have been on car for almost 10 years without issue. Very happy with them.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:33 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine did the same after disconnecting the battery to wire a battery tender in. It cleared itself after driving a few minutes.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-install.html
Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 AM
512bb
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Clean all the contact points and check the wiring that goes into the shock. In particular on 997.1 those wires would kink or strectch or bind or etc. and they are very fagile. I had that problem with two of my shocks at different times.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:49 PM
ZDDY
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same experience as TBarrow...PASM failure after disconnecting battery but reset itself after a few minutes of driving.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:04 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not that lucky. PASM failure seems to be permanent, at least until I find the problem. As for cleaning the contact points, I tried with a needle. Not like you can just scuff them up with some emery cloth. Too tiny. Next, I'll try to check current at the connector if I can get a proper tool. If all else fails, back to dealer. Can't really drive the car around here in firm mode, just too jarring. And yeah, I know, if it lasts for more than 4 hours, consult a doctor.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:07 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
I am not that lucky. PASM failure seems to be permanent, at least until I find the problem. As for cleaning the contact points, I tried with a needle. Not like you can just scuff them up with some emery cloth. Too tiny. Next, I'll try to check current at the connector if I can get a proper tool. If all else fails, back to dealer. Can't really drive the car around here in firm mode, just too jarring. And yeah, I know, if it lasts for more than 4 hours, consult a doctor.
It took me five minutes of driving for mine to go away after disconnecting the battery to install an upgraded steering wheel.

I wouldn’t worry about it until you drive it and it continues to fail...

Quick Reply: PASM failure