COBB PDK Flash Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 04:23 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by urbanscribe
Indeed the AP manager is updated.

Exactly, going to drive the car a bit without the time but WITH the PDK update and see what it feels like.
So what’s the verdict? After having installed everything, is the flash worth it? Even on face book (The largest public forum) there were only a handful of reviews and many of them were less than stellar. Hopefully your experience has been different?
Old 04-30-2018, 09:19 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Updates??

I'm doing my research now on Tunes / PDK tuning, etc.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Updates??

I'm doing my research now on Tunes / PDK tuning, etc.
There are very few Cobb pdk reviews. I have a stage 3 Cobb tune on my TTS and I’m happy. Although I’m certain a protune would net a lot more power.

Initially I felt the pdk reviews leaned more towards the positive side. Lately, I have had a couple of friends (TTS Owners specifically) that were less than pleased. I’ve heard the TTS has a different pdk tune from the factory, hence the reason why these guys might be unhappy? I wish Cobb would verify this. Has anybody else heard this?
The following users liked this post:
Ed-209 (04-09-2020)
Old 05-02-2018, 07:01 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ultimately on the 997.2 TTS the PDK tune was a keeper. The normal setting makes it a little less laggish as it holds lower gears longer. Relearning was essential after the PDK tune to smooth it out (force relearning is a must after tuning and untuning). At the higher end sports plus is manic almost methhead bonkers so use with caution. Have not put on the aggressive PDK tune and assume it will be just too much.

TLDR; if you feel that the normal (non sport) setting is a bit sluggish at low revs in day to day driving you'll like the base normal PDK tuned response. In sports I did not notice a huge difference.

Keeping mine on.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Whosdady
Instructor

Originally Posted by urbanscribe
Ultimately on the 997.2 TTS the PDK tune was a keeper. The normal setting makes it a little less laggish as it holds lower gears longer. Relearning was essential after the PDK tune to smooth it out (force relearning is a must after tuning and untuning). At the higher end sports plus is manic almost methhead bonkers so use with caution. Have not put on the aggressive PDK tune and assume it will be just too much.

TLDR; if you feel that the normal (non sport) setting is a bit sluggish at low revs in day to day driving you'll like the base normal PDK tuned response. In sports I did not notice a huge difference.

Keeping mine on.
It was nice to hear another TTS’s opinion. Thank you! I personally only drive in sports mode and my other TTS friends do the same. You saying you didn’t notice a difference from the oem sports mode on TTS, corresponds with their thoughts as well.

Also, would it be safe to say if we drive in sports mode all the time, that this tune is unnecessary? It sounds like you feel the aggressive pdk tune is too jerky/aggressive? That the primarily benefit occurs while driving in regular mode?
Old 05-02-2018, 07:37 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Whosdady
It was nice to hear another TTS’s opinion. Thank you! I personally only drive in sports mode and my other TTS friends do the same. You saying you didn’t notice a difference from the oem sports mode on TTS, corresponds with their thoughts as well.

Also, would it be safe to say if we drive in sports mode all the time, that this tune is unnecessary? It sounds like you feel the aggressive pdk tune is too jerky/aggressive? That the primarily benefit occurs while driving in regular mode?
Bingo.

For me I was hoping for "something" but ultimately only made normal more enjoyable.

Would I do it again probably not but hoping new maps or something else comes up which makes it worth. Literally the value add now is I'm not rushing for the sports mode when I get in the car.

Cautionary notice. To apply to my 997.2 tts I needed a PDK software upgrade which bricked the main DME (new PDK version somehow could not communicate) which had to be replaced. Obviously a risk to be evaluated also.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:49 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I guess I was under the assumption (since I'm from a different modded vehicle world, now in the porsche world), that the PDK tuning had something or possibly more to do with "Holding" power and / or longevity of the tranny itself with "Tuned" higher HP cars. I guess not. Sounds like the PDK tuning is more about feel, crispness, shifting schedule, etc., than about holding more power.

If the PDK tuning isn't necessary after the increased HP tuning, than I'll probably hold off on it. I'm still debating an HP increasing tune to start with.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:52 PM
djillusion
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven’t driven a TTS but with the PDK tune, my ‘sport’ mode is a ton better than ‘normal’. It mates very well with an exhaust and a COBB engine tune.

Again, I just have a 997.2 Turbo (non S).
Old 05-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Whosdady
Instructor

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. It sounds like the TT Guys are gaining some nice improvements in sport mode while the TTS Folks see little to no difference.

This would explain why there is such a difference in opinions. And why the reviews have been so mixed. I’m not holding my breath for Cobb to make any improvements to the tune. They left out many of the features in the 991 pdk Cobb tune, and took much longer than expected to offer what they did.

It will be interesting to see if Cobb decides to chime in on the above thoughts. For the record, I do know one TTS Guy that is happy with the Cobb pdk tune because it helps shifts gears. But he has a super aggressive tune that had trouble shifting, prior to the aggressive pdk tune.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

This happened in the Diesel world. EFI Live didn't want to work on the older platforms, as opposed to development for the newer trucks / ECU's. Seems like the older cars get left behind for new innovations and tuning in favor of the newer cars / systems.

I hope they'll continue to work on the 997.2 platform (TTS esp.).
Old 05-03-2018, 01:04 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 999 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
This happened in the Diesel world. EFI Live didn't want to work on the older platforms, as opposed to development for the newer trucks / ECU's. Seems like the older cars get left behind for new innovations and tuning in favor of the newer cars / systems.

I hope they'll continue to work on the 997.2 platform (TTS esp.).

Hit me up bud I would be happy to stand behind you and you can give it a try. You can install OTS, do a PDK re-learn to make it all tip-top and if you like it we can do all sorts of fun stuff!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 08-12-2021, 07:15 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Bumping this old thread.

If there's one thing I dislike about the PDK in my TTS it's the shift speed. I really miss the pop of the 991's PDK. I'm not super disappointed with the shift points in normal mode, TBH. Really just want the shifts to pop like a good DCT does. The PDK in our 997.2's is a little too much like a torque converter auto in normal mode.

Worth doing?

Can you get a Cobb AP just for the PDK tune?
Old 08-12-2021, 10:02 PM
2fast2nick
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

I am curious about this tune as well.. this sounds promising
Old 08-12-2021, 10:35 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I think you CAN load just a PDK tune I believe. Check with SAM, I know he'll know for sure.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:35 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

There are a couple outfits that address (or claim to, or did at some point) the biggest pdk annoyances, getting rid of kickdown, disabling slush box style creep in 1st gear, and changing the shifter direction to the “right” way. But these tunes require removing and sending the tcu to be flashed. The German place also claims to reduce shift latency. I don’t think Cobb does any of these on 997.

http://www.aa-tuning.de/

silly rabbit Motorsports

Quick Reply: COBB PDK Flash Review