Sponsored by:

Trade-In Estimate on a 2010 TT Cab PDK with ~52k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018 | 05:13 PM
glayfan40
Track Day

Default Trade-In Estimate on a 2010 TT Cab PDK with ~52k Miles

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about possibly trading in my 2010 TT Cab PDK with ~52,500 miles to a Porsche dealer, for a 2016 Boxster Spyder. I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on what would be considered a fair trade-in value for the car. Here are some of the details of the car -
  1. The car was purchased almost exactly a year ago with ~48k miles. I'm the second owner.
  2. The car has been wrapped with PPF by the 1st owner. And it's been garage kept by me since purchase. It's in great shape cosmetically, both inside and out. The only blemish that I know of is that there are a few scrape marks on the front chin spoiler from the previous owner.
  3. There is ZERO mechanical issue to the best of my knowledge. It drives great and handles great. Soft top operates with no issues.
  4. All of the 40k and 60k service items (i.e. spark plugs, coils, drive belt, AWD controller oil, PDF clutch oil) have been replaced in April of 2017, along with an oil/filter change as well as the cabin air filter replacement. The work was done by a local shop who specializes in Porsches/BMWs.
  5. Brake fluid flush and wheel alignment were both done in Sept, 2017 by a Porsche dealer.
  6. Tires still have about 5/32 to 6/32 left all around.
  7. Car exterior has received a complete detail by a very reputable shop in Oct, 2017 prior to winter storage in my garage.
Appreciate your comments in advance!

Old 01-28-2018 | 06:16 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

"Fair" doesn't go along with "dealer trade-in value" all that often...

Dealers seem to be asking mid $90's for low mileage 997.2 Turbo cabs, with CPO. Deduct $3K for CPO. Deduct $$$ for 52K miles instead of 10-15K. Deduct $$ for winter season, especially in the Northeast. Deduct $8-$10K for the profit spread a dealer is likely looking for. Add a bit of good-will $ if the dealer is making plenty of money on the Spyder you are buying.

I'd guess $70-72K. Compared to dealer ask on a low mileage CPO for $95K, -$10K for mileage, -$8K for profit, -$3K for CPO costs, -$2K for Winter. Then the'll probably tell you how you will 'save' $8K another or whatever on tax through the dealer trade in tax loophole
Old 01-28-2018 | 09:58 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

^ +1.

If you want maximum value you will need to sell privately, but you might wave to wait a while for the right buyer. It also depends on what your time is worth, and if not having to deal with the hassle of selling yourself.. And there is a slight tax savings when trading. So you really just need to take it in to them and see what they say..

BTW, I have traded in two Porches before, and have sold 1 privately, so there is no right way to do it.
Old 01-28-2018 | 10:16 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Not trying to be an ***, but do you really think a dealer will offer 72 for it?
I was guessing 62-65. Interior is polarizing, mileage is the wrong side of 50k and it’s a .2 with a PDK rather than a more desirable stick.

This ones been on the block for a while with no takers. It’s on eBay now.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rbo-coupe.html

OP - GLWS.
Hopefully you get what you want out of it.
Old 01-29-2018 | 11:24 AM
glayfan40
Track Day

Appreciate the feedback so far, everyone.
Yes, I'm aware I wouldn't be able to get top dollars for my car by trading it in vs private sale.
But, to be honest if the dealership offers ~$65k or higher I'd be happy, as that's pretty much what I paid a year ago.
We'll see!!!
Old 01-30-2018 | 05:50 PM
Akunob
Race Car

You paid approx $65K for a 997.2 TT Cab w/ 48K miles a year ago... sounds like a steal to me!
Old 02-01-2018 | 02:07 PM
glayfan40
Track Day

Originally Posted by Alan A
Not trying to be an ***, but do you really think a dealer will offer 72 for it?
I was guessing 62-65. Interior is polarizing, mileage is the wrong side of 50k and it’s a .2 with a PDK rather than a more desirable stick.

This ones been on the block for a while with no takers. It’s on eBay now.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rbo-coupe.html

OP - GLWS.
Hopefully you get what you want out of it.
As you suspected, the dealership offered $61k to start. I countered with $65k and we finally settled on $62k.

I know, it sounds like a complete defeat on my part. But the drive home in the Spyder has made me forget all about that. The 6-spd and the exhaust note on that thing are simply sublime.

And at the end of the day, I only paid $3k plus some fees to have the Turbo experience for a year, which I'm perfectly happy with.

To those who might be interested, the Turbo is being listed by the dealership at $78,400 (gasp!), as a CPO car with 2-yr unlimited mileage warranty and a new set of tires. You should be able to find it using cars.com or Autotrader, I just don't want to advertise for them.
Old 02-01-2018 | 04:26 PM
Oregonian
Advanced

Your '10 Turbo was very well spec'd at $169k. Two downsides were the mileage and the red interior, which I happen to like but might be a turn off for others. I sold my '10 Turbo here on Rennlist a few months ago. It was very well spec'd also at $163k. It was a black/black with PDK, PTV, Sport Chrono Plus, PCCB with 37k miles and a few months left on the CPO. I listed it for $87.5k and it sold at $83k a few weeks later. Just wanted to provide a frame of reference for a recent private party sale of a pretty similar car.
Old 02-01-2018 | 04:33 PM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oregonian
Your '10 Turbo was very well spec'd at $169k. Two downsides were the mileage and the red interior, which I happen to like but might be a turn off for others. I sold my '10 Turbo here on Rennlist a few months ago. It was very well spec'd also at $163k. It was a black/black with PDK, PTV, Sport Chrono Plus, PCCB with 37k miles and a few months left on the CPO. I listed it for $87.5k and it sold at $83k a few weeks later. Just wanted to provide a frame of reference for a recent private party sale of a pretty similar car.
Yours was also a coupe. The current market/buyer pool places on a premium on coupes over cabs.
Old 02-01-2018 | 05:19 PM
Oregonian
Advanced

Originally Posted by vman932
Yours was also a coupe. The current market/buyer pool places on a premium on coupes over cabs.
True. Interesting how cabs don't command the same prices in the current marketplace as they used to, the 356 seeming to be the exception.
Old 02-01-2018 | 07:46 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Dealer stole it at $62K, as evidenced by his $78.4 ask with perhaps $4K into CPO certification and tires. But that's what they do...

Get a decent deal on the Spyder?
Old 02-02-2018 | 12:07 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Yes, they paid the exact value of what your car would get as a trade in with all the minuses and you drove away in the car you've dreamed about. Did I miss something or did you post tons of exterior and interior pics of the new car yet?

Congrats. You got a great deal all around!!! You got your car sold and it would have been a PITA to sell it yourself with a lot of potential depressing tire kicking experiences surrounding it, wasting much of your precious time. You have to put a value on that time saving aspect of simply trading it in. Bravo.
Old 02-02-2018 | 08:57 AM
Oregonian
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Yes, they paid the exact value of what your car would get as a trade in with all the minuses and you drove away in the car you've dreamed about. Did I miss something or did you post tons of exterior and interior pics of the new car yet?

Congrats. You got a great deal all around!!! You got your car sold and it would have been a PITA to sell it yourself with a lot of potential depressing tire kicking experiences surrounding it, wasting much of your precious time. You have to put a value on that time saving aspect of simply trading it in. Bravo.
Not a bad way to look at it. You may have left a bit of money on the table, but it was a hassle free transaction and you drove away in the car you wanted!
Old 02-04-2018 | 10:46 AM
glayfan40
Track Day

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

Agree 100% with everything you've said!
Weather here in MA hasn't been cooperating lately so I haven't got a chance to pull the car out of the garage to take some pictures of my own. But here are some pictures taken by the dealer -

Quick Reply: Trade-In Estimate on a 2010 TT Cab PDK with ~52k Miles