Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 05:32 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts
Default COBB Accessport Now Available with PDK Tuning

The Porsche team here at COBB Tuning is extremely excited to announce the newest development of our Accessport for Porsche product line. PDK Tuning is now available for all currently supported 997.2 Turbo or Turbo S vehicles. Similar to our initial PDK Tuning release for 991.1 and 981 vehicles, this release offers users the ability to flash the factory PDK controller with COBB optimized Off The Shelf Map files.

PDK Off The Shelf Maps
Accessports with PDK Flashing enabled will have a variety of Off The Shelf Maps pre-loaded. Choose the best map for your driving style or switch to a more aggressive map for spirited driving sessions or your next HPDE. All OTS maps provided are designed to be used on an otherwise stock PDK transmission. Cars with upgraded clutch packs will require custom tuning which will be available with a future Accesstuner Pro release.
  • Simulated Stock
  • COBB Sport
  • COBB Aggressive
  • COBB High Torque Aggressive
COBB Sport, COBB Aggressive, and COBB High Torque Aggressive will offer the features below.
  • Increased Minimum Shift Points
  • Increased Shift Firmness
  • Increased Clutch Pressure
  • Minimized Continuous Clutch Slip
  • Decreased Shift Time
For all details please visit the PDK Map Notes Page.

Below are examples of shifting behavior when utilizing the COBB PDK OTS Maps and driving the car in Normal and Sport Modes. As you can see, the COBB PDK maps hold gears to a slightly higher RPM so the car remains in the meat of the power band for a bit longer.

When utilizing Sport Mode the minimum RPM is bumped a bit further, represented in the graph below.

There are two options for gaining access to PDK Flashing for your 997.2 Turbo or Turbo S. Those already utilizing an Accessport for engine tuning, the COBB Customer Service Team can upgrade your existing Accessport remotely through a custom Accessport firmware update key. If you do not yet have one, Accessports with PDK Flashing already enabled are available for purchase directly on the COBB Tuning website.

Accessport with PDK Flashing for Porsche 997.2 Turbo/Turbo S

Select the following option to upgrade an existing Accessport to add the PDK Tuning feature:
Accessport for Porsche 997.2 Turbo/Turbo S (Upgrade to PDK Flashing)

In order to upgrade an existing Accessport, the COBB Customer Service team will need to collect payment information and email instructions detailing a custom firmware update using Accessport Manager. This can all be done at home, without having to visit a COBB Protuner/Dealer facility. For those not familiar with our firmware update process, see the quick how-to page here: Step-By-Step Firmware Update Instructions. You can reach our Customer Service Team at 1-866-922-3059 or support@cobbtuning.com.

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 11-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I'm going to bump this since I just acquired a Cobb AP and then just purchased the PDK tune. Not driven the car at all yet with the PDK tune. Looking forward to testing it. Also, I've only driven it a few miles with the OTS Stg..2 93oct. tune...Nice little bump in power. I'll so some testing tmrw. I hope. I'll report back.

I do have a question for Cobb though. I have a Europipe exhaust with 100 cell cats but stock 997.2 Turbo S IC's. Will there be any reason I can't test the power in very short burst if I load the Stg. 3 - 93 oct. tune, since it's a fairly nice jump in power??? I realize long pulls and multiple pulls wouldn't be smart, but for 1 at a time in short 5-10 secs. bursts, just to feel the extra gain, would it be "Safe"?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer that other question here.

Thank you,

David
Old 11-26-2018, 09:14 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I'm going to bump this since I just acquired a Cobb AP and then just purchased the PDK tune. Not driven the car at all yet with the PDK tune. Looking forward to testing it. Also, I've only driven it a few miles with the OTS Stg..2 93oct. tune...Nice little bump in power. I'll so some testing tmrw. I hope. I'll report back.

I do have a question for Cobb though. I have a Europipe exhaust with 100 cell cats but stock 997.2 Turbo S IC's. Will there be any reason I can't test the power in very short burst if I load the Stg. 3 - 93 oct. tune, since it's a fairly nice jump in power??? I realize long pulls and multiple pulls wouldn't be smart, but for 1 at a time in short 5-10 secs. bursts, just to feel the extra gain, would it be "Safe"?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer that other question here.

Thank you,

David
From reading the stock 997.2 IC and the 997 GT2RS intercoolers are the same parts. It makes 620 HP 120 Hp over a factory turbo for the bursts you are talking about why would it present a problem and it is cold outside as well.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...er-99711063971

The bigger part is the 3 bar map sensor they call out.

Stage3 93 v103 - Intended for a Porsche 997.2 Turbo with an aftermarket exhaust with 200 cell catalytic converters, aftermarket intercoolers, and COBB 3 Bar MAP/PUT sensors. Boost Targets: ~21psi +/- 1.5psi. 93 (M+R)/2 octane fuel minimum.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TBarrow
From reading the stock 997.2 IC and the 997 GT2RS intercoolers are the same parts. It makes 620 HP 120 Hp over a factory turbo for the bursts you are talking about why would it present a problem and it is cold outside as well.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...er-99711063971

Yes, from what I've read they Are in fact the same.

620 bhp for the GT2... doing math on approx. 15% drivetrain loss, that's about 527 WHP.

The Stg. 2 puts down 525 - 545 WHP from what I've been seeing / reading in threads / post.

So the Stg.3, adding approx. 32% more that stock BHP, puts me at close to 699-700 BHP....doing the math again takes it down to approx. 594-595 WHP.

So, That's why I wanted to make sure. But the fact that it is cold out (30-60 depending on time of time), I think it could be tested in short burst.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:34 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The HP increase percentage is based on the regular 500hp Turbo. The S difference is just the tune. So when you go aftermarket Tune the S and Base will end at the same HP.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:52 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TBarrow
The HP increase percentage is based on the regular 500hp Turbo. The S difference is just the tune. So when you go aftermarket Tune the S and Base will end at the same HP.
Ok, But that still puts the math at around 561 WHP, Which is around the whp range of most ProTuners and what they get for max on custom tunes (570-580 whp), given only an exhaust.

So, I'm thinking if that's the case, it'd be fine to test for a couple of gears burst just to see the seat-o-pants difference from Stg. 2 to Stg. 3.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Well i got to drive my car today with the PDK "Sport" tune. I Really like the shift strategy of!! Even seemed a bit smother as well.

After driving it a bit and getting it up to temp, I did the "Relearn" procedure. Interesting things the car does (sounds, raised rpm's, clunks, etc.) while doing it though.

The drive afterwards seems bit "rougher" at first. Seems like after I put a few miles on it in "sport mode" and in "normal" mode, that it smoothed out a bit. I'm sure since the tolerances were adjusted (tightening things up a bit), that it'll take some time to learn and get completely adjusted.

Secondly, I tried the COBB Stg. 3 - 93 Octane tune.... My car instantly did not like it. Seemed rough and missing a bit. I guess the 3 bar MAP sensors are a MUST for this tune. I immediately switched back to the Stage 2 - 93 Octane OTS tune. MUCH smoother and better running.

I still need to get more miles on it with the tune and PDK tune to get a full review of it, but I'd say buying the PDK tune from SambyDesign was a good move. Now I know why he told me to try the "sport" pdk tune first. The "Aggressive" pdk mode is supposed to hold the gears even longer in each gear. I think that'd be bit too much RPM in each gear for street driving ( Like driving around in Sport Plus was on stock software).

Quick Reply: COBB Accessport Now Available with PDK Tuning