Sponsored by:

Thinking of Making Offer on This 997

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:57 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thinking of Making Offer on This 997

Does anything jump out at anyone about this 2007? Not sure about the red stitching and seat belts. Coolant pipes an issue at this mileage? Anyone know this dealer? Im thinking of making a conditional offer. This will be my first TT as I previously had a 996 C4S.

http://www.atlantaluxurymotors.com/d...-17046366.html
Old 12-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 187 Posts

Looks good enough from here, pending a PPI. The price makes me wonder about the Carfax and etc. It doesn't have 20" wheels like the ad says, but that's probably just the dealer not knowing, and it has aftermarket exhaust tips.

Coolant pipes can be an issue at almost any mileage. Clutch may need looking at, too.

Edit: A quick Googling shows some sketchy things about ALM, with people saying their cars often have major undisclosed issues, so maybe poke around about that, too.

Edit 2: Looks like there are more cosmetic issues than I could see on my phone.

Last edited by Skwerl; 12-13-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:20 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks too cheap and there are reasons for it, first the Carfax shows an accident (it's available for free on their website). It was also driven in PA, NY, and NJ meaning the rusted lug nuts are a good indicator that the car was driven in the winter months so I assume other areas will be rusted. The Porsche logo is missing from the front brake caliper which is strange. There is a huge dent in the front bumper that I'm guessing could get costly to address. The interior ***** and switches are clearly sticky and will need to be replaced. The rear seat has some pretty heavy creases in the leather from a child seat and it also looks like they left an aftermarket clip on the receiver bolt. Also it looks like it has exhaust so I would be curious if it has any other mods.

Accident + rust + seller with a questionable history, should be more than enough justification to walk away from this one. Spend an extra $5-10k and get a nice example without any stories, you'll be glad you did.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Car Crazy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Also note the cracked and missing corner of the driver's side tail light. Interior looks like it has been brutalized. Add this to the problems noted above. It is going to cost a lot to make these cosmetic issues right. When I see a car with an interior and exterior in poor condition like this, I assume the mechanical parts have been neglected too. I'd run from this car.

Love the deviated red stitching though.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:12 PM
4LUX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Kind of odd that the deviated red stitching is not on the stack side panels??? Maybe they where added later in leather???
Old 12-13-2017, 03:42 PM
650kid
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Car looks pretty beat up to me
Old 12-13-2017, 04:14 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

That's what I was hoping would motivate them to move it. I have no problem repairing some cosmetic and mechanical problems to an extent but the accident can mean anything from minor to major. I'm close enough to go see the car in person where the previous damage and needed repairs should be obvious. They already have it listed for $58k elsewhere which is a good sign for me to start much lower. I suspect they got the car wholesale from where it was traded in. On the plus side, it has not too high mileage, the SCP option, and six speed.

Last edited by KrazyK; 12-13-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Here are the options.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 12-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

Car has an accident reported in the car fax. Seemed priced into the car. Accident was on Christmas Day, which is a little odd, but who knows? I always look to see how long after an accident the car was sold. This one seems to show very shortly after the accident, a couple of months later, it was sold. It's not an exact science, but sort of like an over rev report, You have to interpret with the data at hand.

Depending on what you're after, might be the right one.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:55 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the cheesy giant ALM sticker on the rear deck lid.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:46 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Here are the options
I'm not one that wants a heavily optioned 911 but I do like the SCP. Not sure about the red belts. The red stitching is OK.

The ALM sticker is pretty lame on their part.

As far as accidents, the Carfax info only shows "reported" accidents. Maybe this car was in a minor one. The best practice is a very thorough inspection in person which I would do of course. There's no way I would buy this car without being there in person.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:39 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MTR
Looks too cheap and there are reasons for it, first the Carfax shows an accident (it's available for free on their website). It was also driven in PA, NY, and NJ meaning the rusted lug nuts are a good indicator that the car was driven in the winter months so I assume other areas will be rusted. The Porsche logo is missing from the front brake caliper which is strange. There is a huge dent in the front bumper that I'm guessing could get costly to address. The interior ***** and switches are clearly sticky and will need to be replaced. The rear seat has some pretty heavy creases in the leather from a child seat and it also looks like they left an aftermarket clip on the receiver bolt. Also it looks like it has exhaust so I would be curious if it has any other mods.

Accident + rust + seller with a questionable history, should be more than enough justification to walk away from this one. Spend an extra $5-10k and get a nice example without any stories, you'll be glad you did.
This. ^

Spend the extra money and get a sorted accident free example. Don't get caught up on that lower mileage / low price. Remember you can't polish a turd.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

This car has too many question marks. id definitely take a higher mile car in better condition
Old 12-14-2017, 09:36 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Awesome car buy it. Watch some Mat Moreman videos and you can polish it up and add the clear protective film. Buy all microfiber towels and make sure Esoteric does all the work. I hear they are the best in preventing the corners of the film in lifting. But remember to decontaminate all paint and interior. Will wait for your videos good luck! Oh and follow all the advise given in this forum, it’s priceless! Many experts on here including myself that can help you!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:17 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 242 Posts

Looks like it will need rear brakes, some sort of aftermarket exhaust which could mean perhaps it is chipped? The hole/dent looks like from a low speed impact from the front plate frame/screw. Tires almost looks like they are smoked.

If willing to put in some work here and there it most likely would not be a bad buy at say 57-59k if everything else checks out. I personally would keep looking to find a better example.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Making Offer on This 997