Front Lip/Side Skirt Painting

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:10 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Front Lip/Side Skirt Painting

Greetings,

Can the stock black Front Lip and Side Skirts be painted out to match my vehicle color? I see that Suncoast sells OEM and "paintable" replacements?

Thansk,

G.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:25 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes they can, although they’ll get beaten up by stones etc. Also want to review lots of photos to make sure you like the look. Tends to make the cat look a little chunkier.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I have both the side skirts and front lip painted to match exterior color (GR). The car was spec'd this way by the original owner but if I had the choice, I would leave them unpainted as they are much cheaper and less hassle to replace that way. And I think it looks good either way.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:02 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

another option, which a RL'r pointed out, is to apply a clear bra on the painted side skirts ( aka rocker panel) for some protection. the front lip pry gets more chips than desired on a DD, but for a C & C car, then it stays pristine
Old 11-21-2017, 05:14 PM
Car Crazy
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm doing it right now. I'm having the front lip painted and installing GT2 side skirts (also painted). All will be covered by Suntek or Xpel film for protection.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:41 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

I just replaced my painted front lip that got all mangled bottoming out during an autocross with an unpainted $100 ebay job. Was originally planning to get the new one painted eventually, but not I'm not sure. Doesn't look bad... (Or more precisely, it doesn't look like anything. Unless you're looking for it, it just disappears, so the front end looks slimmer, although not as low.) I think the painted version looks a bit better when it's new, but when it inevitably scrapes on something, maybe not so much.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:00 AM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been contemplating on doing the same thing but my car is a DD, although my office is ony 2 miles away it still scrapes sometimes on the driveway. So im thinking of getting it vinyl wrapped (front lip, side skirts, and the rear bumper diffuser). It will probably cost the same as getting it painted but at least its not permanent if you want to go back and replaceable.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:13 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996pp
I have been contemplating on doing the same thing but my car is a DD, although my office is ony 2 miles away it still scrapes sometimes on the driveway. So im thinking of getting it vinyl wrapped (front lip, side skirts, and the rear bumper diffuser). It will probably cost the same as getting it painted but at least its not permanent if you want to go back and replaceable.
Thing with vinyl wrap I would think is if it scrapes on rough pavement it could tear, which would look terrible. On the other hand, if you only scrape the under-side of a painted lip, normally you can't really tell. (Now, if you bottom out on a dip in a hairpin corner hard enough to fold the whole thing under, that's a bit more visible...)

If you get it painted and don't like it, you can get a new one for literally a hundred bucks on eBay, and install it yourself in five minutes.

As for the sides, there is a thin strip of gravel guard (basically a rough section) just above the side skirt piece. If you do paint the sides, IMO you should add gravel guard there too, so it matches. Did that on mine and it fits in nicely. Would look weird if it were still flat but painted (or wrapped) body color IMO.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:28 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I was thinking the same thing about the sides Nate. If you don't add aftermarket side skirts do people still paint it just flat? I would think it would not look right with the gravel guard strip in between two flat paints. How did you add gravel guard on your sides?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996pp
I was thinking the same thing about the sides Nate. If you don't add aftermarket side skirts do people still paint it just flat? I would think it would not look right with the gravel guard strip in between two flat paints. How did you add gravel guard on your sides?
Ha, my technique involved paying money to a body shop. Sounded like adding gravel guard is a pretty standard thing though. It blends in with the existing strip really well.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

When I took delivery of my '09 Turbo Cab (Arctic) the sides, rear and front went right into our shop for matching lowers. But it's a bit tricky when done right - the tinting is different for lowers than for body panels. Took us 9 attempts to mix to the right tint, then perfection.

The rear and sides are still nearly flawless today. On the front, get two, and paint at same time, then swap as needed. Thought I don't thrash the hell out of the car, the front lip invariably has something go south once/year or so, and we just swap it out, repair and repaint, store for next time.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-05-2017, 02:48 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

As others have mentioned, painted lips look GREAT until they don't... Stone chips and spiderweb cracks if you ever flex them at all on a speed bump or rain dip. Black looks GOOD and stays looking good until you really mangle them on something.
The following users liked this post:
Skrizzo (05-30-2023)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:33 PM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

More pics of painted 997 lips, please--side views, especially.

I did this to my 964 and it looked much better--and lower, too.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:47 AM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

If your car has been lowered, don't bother spending money on the front lip other than buying a couple of the $100 replacements off eBay. I've had two 997 Turbos, one lowered and one not, and its just unavoidable with the lowered car. The other was beaten up a little, but not like the other. YMMV
Old 07-25-2021, 07:36 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 474 Likes on 317 Posts

Painted lowers is a must.
Have a top-level shop do them for you.
Game changer.

Quick Reply: Front Lip/Side Skirt Painting