Sponsored by:

Clean MAF or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 11:44 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean MAF or replace?

Ive read about cleaning these with CRC maf cleaner and then the check eng doesn't return. Even some who do this as routine maintenance when they change the air filter. Has anyone done this? Porsche tech says I should replace mine with new but removing and cleaning and re-installing seems worth a try.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Clean, drive, CEL? Replace.

This is what I’d do.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:52 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Takes 10 min to clean it. Worth it for sure.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:00 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Hi
How many miles?
What codes are you getting?
If tuned can you log?

I agree it’s worth a try. It just seams after one cleaning they are never the same. Even though it’s a proper cleaner. So best as an attempted fix than maintenance IMO. Feel free to reach out if I can be if any help. Good luck
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hi
How many miles?
What codes are you getting?
If tuned can you log?

I agree it’s worth a try. It just seams after one cleaning they are never the same. Even though it’s a proper cleaner. So best as an attempted fix than maintenance IMO. Feel free to reach out if I can be if any help. Good luck
Ok thanks for the info from everyone. Realized the Air filter had not been replaced since 2012 with 15,500 miles. It has 41k miles now so may just put a new one in along with the cleaning of the sensors. The check eng light has now gone away by itself. It lasted less than a week. I didn't know they can do that.

Sam as far as data logging. I just bought a durmetric cable and I'm trying to get my hands on a windows based laptop. So I will be gathering data soon. Codes were:

P1095
P2099
P2188
P2188
P2190
P2190
C190
C131

Thanks for the help. The only reason I would hold off on buying the new air filter is if I thought I might try a maf-less tune.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-22-2017, 01:55 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So far so good. It’s Thanksgiving here but is soon as we get some Family time and I will check these out. I may email you directly also feel free to send me an email. Cheers

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 11-22-2017, 05:37 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

So far so good. It’s Thanksgiving here but is soon as we get some Family time and I will check these out. I may email you directly also feel free to send me an email. Cheers
will do that on pm
Old 11-23-2017, 12:09 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey took a quick look and figured to post on here as well so if anyone refers to it, it may help. All pretty typical codes. Try cleaning them and see if it helps. I will email you. As for MAFless that is an option if you have it based on your tuner.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:17 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Hey took a quick look and figured to post on here as well so if anyone refers to it, it may help. All pretty typical codes. Try cleaning them and see if it helps. I will email you. As for MAFless that is an option if you have it based on your tuner.
Thanks Sam. Should I install a new air filter based on how mine is 5 yrs old and has 26k mikes on it?

or just do the cleaning first?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-24-2017, 12:31 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would that’s a long time. Cheers
Old 11-24-2017, 11:00 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

I would that’s a long time. Cheers
cleared codes with durametric after using CRC to clean both MAF sensors. And replace old dirty filter with new. Took for a drive and got on it several times and the car ran hard both in sport and normal mode.

Ran into my P tech while at dealer buying the air filter. He asked what I was doing. Told him I was trying to clean the sensors .....he said I was wasting my time and that he had put a voltage meter or test and they were bad.

Told him him I had the Bosch tubes with sensors in boxes just in case it didn’t work for him to install. He said he wouldn’t install them bc he can’t warranty them. I said they are Bosch and have the same part number as Porsche. He said he couldn’t do it. I’ll talk to the service Mgr next week and see what he says.

5 or 6 hard pulls and no check eng light. Let’s see what happens. Time will tell. Surprised my tech didn’t suggest the new air filter while they quoted me over $900 per MAF plus labor. Around $2300 when all done.

WOW!
Old 11-24-2017, 11:16 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wow is right. Does it run smoother and stronger as well?
Old 11-25-2017, 07:54 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I had similar codes to you and decided to just clean them before replacing. I checked the voltage on them with my Durametric and they were both >1.1 (suppose to be replaced according to Porsche) and after cleaning they were both < 1.1 (within spec). This may not last but seems to be worth a try.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:28 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

.....he said I was wasting my time and that he had put a voltage meter or test and they were bad.
Rightly so, your pretty much taking work from them. They get pissed at people like us that do work on our cars. Some of these replacement parts are pretty easily done by anyone that is slightly handy. On the MAF sensor issue, my BMW had one fail. I bought a replacement from Rockauto. Worked for three weeks. Same issue and they sent a replacement. Three weeks, same issue. Had to buy the OEM and wasted time with cheap Chinese knock-offs. Buy the oem type and your good. Porsche just rebrands and gives you 2 years warranty on the part only. That’s the only difference. My parts dealer is actually extremely competitive and matched online prices. I buy from them 100% justbfor that 2 year warranty.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:38 AM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

When it comes to mass air flow sensors. They could have tested bad because they were dirty and not reading the right air flow. Mass air flow sensors should be checked, if they are reading incorrectly cleaned and then rechecked then replaced if still reading incorrectly.

dealers don’t clean sensors they just replace. Mass air flow sensors don’t really go bad that often. They can but a lot of the times just cleaning them is the fix

Quick Reply: Clean MAF or replace?