Sponsored by:

Some fun with plasti-dip

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:51 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Some fun with plasti-dip

The chrome exhaust tips on my car we're looking pretty beat up, so I had them ceramic coated in black. Once I did that, I wanted to try black badging to match with Plasti-dip (aerosol rubber coating that's removable) and then I figured that I never liked the titanium colored strakes in the front outer grilles. All of this is temporary and reversible except for the exhaust tips.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:29 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Fun stuff! I used to use PlastiDip to keep up the appearance of the lower front lip of my Elise. Just mask it off and spray every couple of months!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:46 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

I tried to plastidip my turbo badge last year... yours came out much better. Looks nice!
Old 10-24-2017, 12:24 AM
6S219
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
I tried to plastidip my turbo badge last year... yours came out much better. Looks nice!
How did you plastidip your turbo badge? Did you remove and reinstall?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:02 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I did the same about 18 months ago..

Regarding the question of how, it's pretty easy with PD..

Just mask off a square around the badge.. cover up the area around the badge with newspaper.. spray the entire "square" area including the badge.. let dry and then peel away the PD from the paint.. All that remains is on the badge..

When you get tired of it you can peel it off the badge, too..

Not the best pic I know.. my basalt coupe with black PD badge..

Old 10-24-2017, 02:08 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 6S219
How did you plastidip your turbo badge? Did you remove and reinstall?
No I did it exactly as the post above mentions, but when I went to peel the plastidip off of the painted area it left jagged edges around where the badge meets the decklid... looked really bad so I peeled it all off and never tried it again.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:18 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

No I did it exactly as the post above mentions, but when I went to peel the plastidip off of the painted area it left jagged edges around where the badge meets the decklid... looked really bad so I peeled it all off and never tried it again.
The key is to do five or six very thin layers with about 20 minutes of dry time between each.
Then it will just peel off in one sheet...you just work it off slowly.
Then use a toothpick to grab an edge inside closed letters like O and peel up. It's really easy to do right and you can't tell the difference from paint.

Trending Topics

Old 10-24-2017, 03:33 PM
osunick
Racer

Originally Posted by midcont
The key is to do five or six very thin layers with about 20 minutes of dry time between each.
Then it will just peel off in one sheet...you just work it off slowly.
Then use a toothpick to grab an edge inside closed letters like O and peel up. It's really easy to do right and you can't tell the difference from paint.
Yep, this is what I did. Terrifying at first because it feels like spray painting he back of your car with a rattle can of rust oleum. I used a plastic pick to get in the books and crannies and some clay bar to remove stubborn residue. For the front strakes, they just pop off so I hung them in pegboard in the garage and sprayed away.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:56 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

How thin is thin? I feel like I may have applied the initial layer too heavy and somehow all of the layers weren't dry by the time I went to peel it is what caused my issues. It was messy and looked uneven.

Talking about it makes me want to try it again
Old 10-25-2017, 05:03 PM
osunick
Racer

How thin is thin? I feel like I may have applied the initial layer too heavy and somehow all of the layers weren't dry by the time I went to peel it is what caused my issues. It was messy and looked uneven.

You shouldn't expect full coverage with the first coat, and wait 20-30 mins between coats. As you discovered earlier, it doesn't hurt to try!
Old 10-25-2017, 05:33 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

There are lots of YT videos online by PlastiDip showing how to do this, including doing emblems.. there is a technique to it..
Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 PM
realking
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

How do you pop off the front strakes?
Old 10-26-2017, 02:25 PM
osunick
Racer

Originally Posted by realking
How do you pop off the front strakes?
They are snapped in in three places, on each side and in the center. If you get down low and look up under the strake you can see how it's clipped onto the grille. Reach behind the strake and pry it apart with your fingers and it will unclip in the center. Give it a gentle tug and it will release from both sides. I believe the factory color for the strake is Titanium D7Z, but I haven't confirmed this yet. I was going to respray them but decided to try PD first.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 PM
6S219
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
There are lots of YT videos online by PlastiDip showing how to do this, including doing emblems.. there is a technique to it..

Here is one of the YT videos. I like the "tip" regarding a Q-Tip.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:22 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Thin, a light dusting. You can still see the chrome for the most part. Don't even worry if a part looks like you barely hit it. At the end, assuming equivalent thickness, six layers is much better than three.

Quick Reply: Some fun with plasti-dip