Stolen but CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:04 PM
911 Prospect
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Stolen but CPO?

Hi All,
So can/will Porsche CPO a car if it has been stolen? There is no note on the CarFax and no other info, but the dealer wants a disclosure signed acknowledging the fact the car was stolen. It just seems strange for a CPO car. I suppose it is possible a car was stolen with no damage done, but still seems strange. Other than the fact the dealership should disclose this info up front, does anyone have any insight into this strange situation?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

You're going to need to get the whole story. "Stolen" could mean a lot of things, and sometimes result in a salvage title if it's thrashed enough.

Considering the dealer wants to CPO it, the car could have been in a situation where an owner had the car taken on a joyride by someone with access to the keys but reported it stolen.

Get more details.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I would be wary of such a requirement to CPO the car. It could be the dealer's way of wiping their hands clean of any potential future claims. For example, they could argue that whatever happens was a result of thieves joyriding the car causing the resulting issue or premature damage.

Transmission issues - Well this was obviously the result of the thieves doing all night launches and burnouts at the local twirking rave.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:46 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
I would be wary of such a requirement to CPO the car. It could be the dealer's way of wiping their hands clean of any potential future claims. For example, they could argue that whatever happens was a result of thieves joyriding the car causing the resulting issue or premature damage.

Transmission issues - Well this was obviously the result of the thieves doing all night launches and burnouts at the local twirking rave.
Be hard for them to do that methinks. Isn't the CPO through Porsche rather than the dealer?
Old 10-06-2017, 11:04 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm wondering if it's not a mechanical thing but more so unclear ownership or something to do with the theft.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:54 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

If it isn't on carfax but known to the dealer, clearly you need to hear 'the rest of the story...'

And remember you might be in a difficult position when you sell it down the road.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:45 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Also be wary that carfax may not be up-to date. I had this happen to me at the MB dealer when we bought a CPO GL550. Clean carfax at deal time only to find 4yrs later that they reported a crash a week after the deal.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Prospect
Hi All,
So can/will Porsche CPO a car if it has been stolen? There is no note on the CarFax and no other info, but the dealer wants a disclosure signed acknowledging the fact the car was stolen. It just seems strange for a CPO car. I suppose it is possible a car was stolen with no damage done, but still seems strange. Other than the fact the dealership should disclose this info up front, does anyone have any insight into this strange situation?
Thanks in advance.
Call Porsche Cars North America customer service and ask.

Ask if a "stolen" car can be CPO'd. Ask if it is SOP for a dealer asking you sign a disclosure? Ask what if anything you are giving up by signing this. And it would be nice to get a copy fo the document with all its fine print to read over *before* you call, and certainly before you sign.

Catorce has it right. Stolen can mean many things. I know of one case of a Boxster that was stolen. It was a crime of opportunity: 2 bank robbers leaving the bank passed by the Boxster in the detailer's area and jumped in and drove off.

The car was found a few days later in pretty good shape. The only damage was from the detailer I think trying to stop the Boxster by trying to block it in with another car and the Boxster got a scrape as the bank robbers took off.

In another case someone bought a new Porsche but did so fraudulently. After a short while -- next business day I think -- this was discovered and I believe the car was listed as stolen but recovered very quickly with no damage.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:53 PM
sunset gun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also common in the "Stolen, but not really Stolen" category is divorce, and dissolution of business partnership, and termination,, and and and.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:57 PM
sunset gun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for Carfax, it is better than nothing unless you believe they give a damn about accuracy and/or timeliness. They don't. You can cause yourself trouble by counting on them, or any of their ilk.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:55 PM
911 Prospect
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you all very much for weighing in! Appreciate the input and advice as always.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:42 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My main concern would be resale for you down the line, probably -10-15%.

Quick Reply: Stolen but CPO?