Sponsored by:

Turbos not spooling

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbos not spooling

Need help. My turbos aren't spoiling. Car has a deeper tone and barely any power. when I floor it the Turbo struggles to get to 10psi and drops from there. Any idea what's up? Car has been sitting for a month without being driven. But not sure what would cause this. Car is dead on power. I have a UMW tune. But was working fine. Just been sitting.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

See video.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:42 PM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start with the basics like fuel and air. make sure nothing nested in the airbox while it was sitting. try a reset on the ecu if fuel pumps are working and no air obstructions. do you have a durametric to plug it in?
Old 10-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 533 Posts

I think there was a TSB about lubricating the actuator rod, or unsticking it.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:07 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

Didnt see a video?

Either a boost leak or frozen actuator rods.

Here's the TSB on checking the turbo actuator rods.
http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/...e%20action.pdf
Old 10-01-2017, 06:58 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Boost leak, frozen actuator rod, in that order.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Seems that the actuators may be frozen. I can't move them. Aren't they supposed to go up and down? I posted this on facebook on the 997 Turbo GT2 enthusiast Group, you can see the video there.

i've had the hoses come loose before. But in this case I don't hear anything that sounds like an air leak. I don't think it's hoses because the car exhaust sounds DEEP. Not the normal sound coming out of the exhaust ias it sounds altered. Hoses wouldn't do that I believe so it's like the air

Heres the actuators. Pretty rusted .

honestly the car sounds like a diesel. Turbos won't spoil over 10psi

Old 10-01-2017, 11:24 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

The actuators either move up or down, depending on the side. (The TSB linked tells you which side.)
They require a medium amount of force, it's not like you can just barely push on them and they will move.. you have to put a little force behind it.

Those pics are kinda scary, that nut and actuator look to be in sad shape.. On second look, it almost looks like the actuator is off the ball joint in the top pic?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:25 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

^agree
Old 10-02-2017, 02:07 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by saabin
The actuators either move up or down, depending on the side. (The TSB linked tells you which side.)
They require a medium amount of force, it's not like you can just barely push on them and they will move.. you have to put a little force behind it.

Those pics are kinda scary, that nut and actuator look to be in sad shape.. On second look, it almost looks like the actuator is off the ball joint in the top pic?
Yeah I need to spend more time underneath to see if I can get them to move. I may need to have them replaced anyways. Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off with a new M3 lol.

Anyways I really think it could also be bad gas, sitting for a month could kill the octane. So I need to get out and drive it to burn off what I have in there and fill it up with some Shell V power. However I'm almost positive they are stuck because the sound is just awful, doesn't sound like the correct tone. So if the actuators are stuck I would assume that would regulate the acoustics out of the exhaust.

Shop wants 5 hours to swap the actuators.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:01 PM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just spray them to try and free them up first.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:58 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Just picked up an M2 as my daily driver. Forget the m3 check the M2
Old 10-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine froze and I replaced them at dealer...believe it was like $340 parts and labor.

So you can use that as a pricing guide....

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
Yeah I need to spend more time underneath to see if I can get them to move. I may need to have them replaced anyways. Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off with a new M3 lol.

Anyways I really think it could also be bad gas, sitting for a month could kill the octane. So I need to get out and drive it to burn off what I have in there and fill it up with some Shell V power. However I'm almost positive they are stuck because the sound is just awful, doesn't sound like the correct tone. So if the actuators are stuck I would assume that would regulate the acoustics out of the exhaust.

Shop wants 5 hours to swap the actuators.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:32 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Spray the **** out of it with wd40, do check that top ball joint, the actuator arm pops right on/off. Your car has a ton of rust and corrosion underneath, way more than I've seen on most 997s.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:59 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Spray the **** out of it with wd40, do check that top ball joint, the actuator arm pops right on/off. Your car has a ton of rust and corrosion underneath, way more than I've seen on most 997s.
Odd that's some of the only major rust on the bottom, the car is quite clean underneath. The bolts on the exhaust are definitely on their way out though as they've never been replaced with the three exhausts, Next time I touch them they will be replaced.

Tomorrow night i'm going to try to play with the arms and figure out which direction they are supposed to go and give them a solid push. Hard to get under there with the one race jack.

Any idea which way they are supposed to move on the drivers/passenger side?

Quick Reply: Turbos not spooling