Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to get s&#$ for this but I'm going to ask; RE: Gundo hack on 997TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 03:50 PM
Kyle John Ijichi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going to get s&#$ for this but I'm going to ask; RE: Gundo hack on 997TT

I am trying to do research out there on whether anyone has attempted the "Gundo" hack mod on a 997TT exhaust, stock or aftermarket. I think most people agree that the factory sound is very air heavy and less traditional NA 911 sounding. Why not try the Gundo hack for $150-200 from a local muffler shop to connect the two pipes and effectively create a PSE exhaust? Are there really any draw backs?

There are many aftermarket options, starting at $3500+, which is honestly a lot of money for mandrel bent metal tubes (typically stainless steel.)

I am not interested in getting into any debate around the "Porsche tax" or you get what you pay for, because at the end of the day you are paying for a replicated design (which may have cost several man hours "engineering" up front), materials, and labor (hand made aside). The normal person buying an exhaust wants the sound, and isn't trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of their turbo. If they were then it'd be a whole different story and custom straight pipe exhaust is probably the way to go, and for racetrack use only.

I think we can all also come to an agreement that catless and or muffler delete (like Fabspeed or AWE-tunings options) is probably a bit too loud for normal cruising.

One argument I saw posted tried to claim that the turbo's exhaust back pressure is important to the performance of the car, which I'm 99% certain is false, as the more free flowing the better for a turbocharged car; back pressure is actually better for NA cars.

Another argument in the same vein is that the turbo mufflers are designed differently than an NA muffler. How? The pipe leaves the catalytic converters, goes into the muffler, then exits on top? How is bypassing this muffler system to go semi-directly out to the exhaust tips any different than on the NA muffler?

Pictures below for examples
Attached Images       
Old 09-29-2017, 04:51 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I think you answered your own question. Look at the pics of the NA muffler in the lower left corner. There is no way that is possible on a turbo exhaust, nowhere near as easy as on an NA car. With the amount of welding required, you should just buy another exhaust.

I say this as the current owner of a 40th 996 that is gundo hacked, and a current owner of two 997TT, one with a Europipe, and the other stock.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:58 PM
Kyle John Ijichi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1st generation Tubi-style exhaust on my car and I don't see why you couldn't connect a 2" pipe between the two pipes, just like the NA mufflers.

Originally Posted by Catorce
I think you answered your own question. Look at the pics of the NA muffler in the lower left corner. There is no way that is possible on a turbo exhaust, nowhere near as easy as on an NA car. With the amount of welding required, you should just buy another exhaust.

I say this as the current owner of a 40th 996 that is gundo hacked, and a current owner of two 997TT, one with a Europipe, and the other stock.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2017, 12:17 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Why don't you just run the Tubi as is??
Old 09-30-2017, 06:55 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

It can be done. We bought a 2.5 inch door saw kit at Home Depot. You need to drill a pilot hole first. I went thru the bumper firsts just above the intercooler. Mark the line equidistant to the slats. Use the door saw and go thru the bumper and into the catalytic converter. The next step is most important! A trip to Home Depot and buy the Gorilla glue but clear not the amber. Attach a 2.5 inch galvanized hollow fence post thru the bumper. Attach the 90 deg elbow and the end piece to the catalytic converter and apply a liberal amount of gorilla CLEAR, very important not the amber to the end. Just before install, mist water to activate the glue and quickly insert thru bumper and catalytic. Finally start engine and rev to about 3k rpm. This will set the glue and vulcanize everything together. Paint the elbow to match exterior paint(Autozone). Do not use Dr. Colorchip, it will not adhere to the gorilla glue! Their you have it! Post pics please!

Quick Reply: Going to get s&#$ for this but I'm going to ask; RE: Gundo hack on 997TT