Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Spoiler Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:02 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dguth, Look for leaking (wet or DRIED) signs of fluid inside the lid, end of rams, at lid rubber gasket, up around fan, etc. Could also be a preliminary mechanical issue, motor about to fail, micro-switches on the way out, etc. About a dozen root causes for the hydraulic system failure, you can read about them HERE.

Last edited by DaveCarrera4; 10-11-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:32 AM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Dave,

Good to see you have the 997 kit figured out. If you recall, we tried to put a 996 kit on my 997 a couple of years back. I think that is when the measurement thing became better understood. I am experiencing a spoiler failure message and no action with the dash switch. We just had a snow and the car had to sit outside and get cold. I am hoping it heals itself (and that I get taller!) so may be considering your electric solution. Have your customers had good luck with the device/install?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:00 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robhamster
Dave,

Good to see you have the 997 kit figured out. If you recall, we tried to put a 996 kit on my 997 a couple of years back. I think that is when the measurement thing became better understood. I am experiencing a spoiler failure message and no action with the dash switch. We just had a snow and the car had to sit outside and get cold. I am hoping it heals itself (and that I get taller!) so may be considering your electric solution. Have your customers had good luck with the device/install?
hi Rob, that was a painful lesson. Another forum member in Oklahoma volunteered to work with me to figure it all out. The 997 turbo eRam kit is different as you can imagine. We had some teething issues with the spoiler warning cancellation device, known as a MicroModule, but got that figured out as well. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but around 75 eRam kits installed on the 997 turbo to date. In fact I bought a 997 turbo this past March. Guy said the wing only worked intermittently. That was BS. Removing the hydraulics, I could easily tell it hadn't worked in years. I installed the 4 3/4" eRam kit. Extending that big wing up in the air always puts a smile on my face.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Dguth, Look for leaking (wet or DRIED) signs of fluid inside the lid, end of rams, at lid rubber gasket, up around fan, etc. Could also be a preliminary mechanical issue, motor about to fail, micro-switches on the way out, etc. About a dozen root causes for the hydraulic system failure, you can read about them HERE.

Thanks for the heads up. I lifted the lid and looked when I got home but didn't see anything. I'll inspect closer today per your points above. Driving it yesterday and today, no issues, goes up and down fine while driving. Maybe the issue the other day was just temperamental but you never know.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:49 PM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

****UPDATE****
Finally got my car back last night. The spoiler issue was both an electronics and hydraulic issue. A wiring harness was replaced that was charged to insurance company. Because I admitted to a slight leak in the driver’s side hydraulic lifter, a rebuild was changed to me wherein seals within the lifters were replaced using a “rebuild kit” - total cost to me was $395. While I would have preferred not to be out any cash, the units are warrantied for two years. All in all, I’m just glad to have my car back after 6 weeks. Immediately dropped the top and went cruising. Car runs great, looks great, and the spoiler works!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:02 PM
RodneyB
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I found my 2007 last summer with 15K miles in near perfect condition, but upon having it inspected we found fluid leaking out the bottom of the right hydraulic cyl. My independent shop quoted the OE parts but actually recommended the Rennkit erams as a much cheaper option since he had heard about them from customers.

I called Dave and got a 3" supper fast acting set of actuators on the way. I decided to do the installation myself. The installation was super easy, took a couple hours, and the instructions were great.

I didn't like the silver look on my car so I called Dave and asked about powder coating to match the rest of the car. Dave told me he had not tried this but sent me several rams to experiment with since i have a powder coating department in my manufacturing facility.

the powder coating job was fairly easy to do and i think they look great. The only trick is figuring out how much aluminum to remove before powder coating in order to build back the proper amount of paint thickness. I wanted to end up with the same diameter as the polished original rams. I felt it important to maintain proper interference with the seals. While i was at it i shot the tail pipes to match with the same texture black powder and everything has held up great for over 1,000 miles with no problems. The eRams work much faster than the original equipment and are easy to install, i highly recommend them.
Attached Images     
Old 10-16-2017, 06:23 PM
rob.boost
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still using my E-Rams with no issues. Can leave them up or down without worrying about straining seals or springs. I can easily say that I have put them through a decent amount of testing. (they still do a great job at 200+mph)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:47 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

thanks guys! Appreciate your help.

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler Issue