Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's a lot of Mileage on a 997.1 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:44 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofever
I feel we will in a society to which we are programmed to think 100k miles is a lot.. it is just not!
I think it's a holdover from the 70s and 80s when making it to 100k miles was sort of a miracle, mixed with some "exotic supercar!!" cross-pollination where anything with more than 20k miles is basically a used up pile of scraps. On .1TTs it's sort of funny because people will wax about how bulletproof the Mezger was and moments later add that 40k miles is "high mileage."

As far as I can tell, the people with TTs that have over 50k miles tend to have few real non-maintenance problems besides maybe the coolant pipes around 60-70k, or other expected stuff like clutches and water pumps. Porsches are fully modern now and there's no reason they can't do 200k miles if you take care of them.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:08 PM
Rob Burgoyne
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AboEnzo Nsouli
Hi all,
I am looking for a 997.1 Turbo and was wondering if there is such a thing as too many miles on a 997 turbo.

Is 65K a lot of miles?
For what it's worth I bought a well optioned manual 2008 Turbo with 80k miles on the clock but it had a great maint history. I got it at a pretty steep discount compared to other less optioned turbos with lower mileage. I took the money I saved and I'm starting to dump that into upgrades. I kind of like that it has high miles so that I can daily it without feeling guilty.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:15 PM
upeshdesai
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rob Burgoyne
For what it's worth I bought a well optioned manual 2008 Turbo with 80k miles on the clock but it had a great maint history. I got it at a pretty steep discount compared to other less optioned turbos with lower mileage. I took the money I saved and I'm starting to dump that into upgrades. I kind of like that it has high miles so that I can daily it without feeling guilty.
I'm curious, what are you at now?
Old 09-20-2017, 05:19 PM
Rob Burgoyne
4th Gear

Originally Posted by upeshdesai
I'm curious, what are you at now?

I've only put about 2k miles on it, I daily it but everything I need is within 10miles from my house at most.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

that's where the $20k in savings can go to fix/update/modify.

buying a 15k mile car doesn't make you immune to either issue.

Originally Posted by strato58
My biggest fears are water leak and cam slip. That as the potential to happen at any mileage. Other then that I dont think mileage is a huge issue. My car just crossed 30K miles so its not a high mileage car. I've had no issues (knock wood). I will need a clutch soon though
Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 AM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Food for thought : Picked up my 07 TT tip car at the Porsche dealer fairly cheap because of 72k miles and well , its a tip .
. No PPI as it had alot of maintenance records being bought , serviced , and traded in there at the same dealership . Already had the cam sleeve issue done there recently as well.
. Didnt get a warranty either .
. 1600 miles later , the coolant pipe dump . Passed on the dealers $3200 fix and had all fittings upgraded , welded , etc. as well as other goodies .
$10k vaporized .
Put a Pdk paddle shift wheel in it , a safe tune from UMW , and never looked back .
Forgot about the $ and drive the car hard alot .
No regrets when i feel that boost or look at her .
Cant see getting rid of it unless i get into a 991 TT someday.
. Do the PPI
Seriuosly consider a Fidelity warranty .
Enjoy the search

-Lou

Quick Reply: What's a lot of Mileage on a 997.1 Turbo?