Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nano coating?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:28 PM
tomb18
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used CQuartz and did a full detail on the car before hand.
The main reason I used it is to avoid swirls from regular washing. It is really really durable.
Be careful though.,..if you put it on and don't take it off when you are supposed to it can leave a permanent streak that requires polishing to get out. Same thing if you inadvertently drop a spot on the car. Really tough to remove once cured.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
most of the better nano coatings will perform well. The $20 bottle at autozone, sorry, that doesn't fall in that category, so beware.

a solid coating, if you're diy, is around $50-100.

but as some have mentioned already, don't be so concerned about the brand of nano, rather the professional installing it. Prep is key and a lot can go wrong during installation, so leave it to the pros.

benefits are lower maintenance, amazing gloss/depth, and scratch resistance, not scratch proof. Durability is 12-18 months based on proper care. Stuff claiming 5-10 years, we haven't seen it in real life...those are lab results under ideal conditions. Warranty as good as paper it's written on and many loop holes to get out of it.

Hope this helps
With most products you are right Moe. At its core there are 3 factors that play into durability of a coating:
·The product used
·The prep and application
·The quality of on-going care

The Product Used

The VAST majority of coatings are organic and literally wear away. And the actual silica content is very low compared to the evaporative(removable) solvents. This greatly affects long term durability.

They last much longer than a wax or sealant (2'ish years for a coating and a few weeks to a few months for a wax/sealant under normal use) and offer superior protection but are still greatly limited by their chemistry.

Modesta can rightly claim the durability is does(3-10 years) because BC-03, BC-04 and BC-05 are inorganic and cure into a real and durable glass layer. The silica to evaporative solvent content is greatly in favor of the quality and the final product, not a lower cost or ease of use. This is also part of the reason it can be considered a true glass coating. The liquid product will cure into clear glass without any assistance required from a lab setting. I and other installers have created our own glass straight from bottles to demonstrate this.

Once installed and cured(properly -which is more demanding than other products I have personally tested), the only factor that will affect durability will be the on-going care. Because, as we both know, a coating is not a silver bullet that is invincible. They require on-going care(cleaning, decontamination when necessary, etc.). But because a Modesta coating actually becomes a part of the surface, it will not wear away like most of products. The exception for Modesta would be for BC-08. It was engineered to be a quality 3 year coating solution that fits the bill for ones looking for similar performance from other organic coating systems. But for BC-03, BC-04 and BC-05 there is nothing else on the market quite like them in my experience.

Here is an example of what I am speaking of. The product in the cup is a popular professional-only coating that suggests 2-3 years of durability and the clear cubes and shards are inorganic Modesta that is cured. All products were created the same way; pure product poured into a container and allowed to air dry. The product still in the cup is still there because it is a crusty mess, not a solid. The Modesta pieces could be removed and produced this way because of the high quality products and very high silica content to solvent ratio. We have performed this test with every coating I have put my hands on and we have them on display in my office for clients to see with their own eyes. The proof's in the pudding as they say.

Name:  yWrboaX.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  834.8 KB

With that said. These are part of the reason why Modesta costs what it costs. There is no extensive national marketing campaign to pay for on the back of a higher cost. There is no crazy overhead that needs to be compensated for by charging more. There are no false claims nor hype of being "elite" or "one of the few chosen"(which is ironic when one looks at the actual number of installers for any given product line -lol) that causes an increase in the cost to the consumer. The bottom line is that the product costs a lot to produce, costs a lot for each installer to purchase, requires an measure of expertise and willingness to spend a lot more time on each installation. These are the primary reasons why a Modesta job costs what it costs.

With full-disclosure in mind, I feel compelled to make this clear. I am a partner at the company that distributes Modesta in North America. To clear the air... it can be said that I am biased. And I admit I am biased. But I am not biased because I gain. I am biased because I have used most of the products on the market, at one time I have likely used them in a professional setting and have personally found Modesta to be the best for my clients and the highest quality product line available. It has always been sold as my best even when we used to offer other products who've claimed to be just that. Modesta costs more, requires more time, requires more expertise to get it right and the results have always been outstanding. I am biased because I looked at the all facets and married a brand I saw as the best. Though, I am sure everyone says they have the best and most honestly believe they do have the best. So take my .02 for what it's worth.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:59 PM
JSF721
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mr Designs,

i am a detailing geek. I have used pro coatings, non pro coatings and seen modesta up close after its been applied. It looks good. So do all pro coatings. If you want a good unbiased review send me enough to go my car and I'll report back. My skills are top pro level with polishing and prep. I'd need to learn the specific requirements of your product. I give you a full review. Let me know if interested.

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
With most products you are right Moe. At its core there are 3 factors that play into durability of a coating:
·The product used
·The prep and application
·The quality of on-going care

The Product Used

The VAST majority of coatings are organic and literally wear away. And the actual silica content is very low compared to the evaporative(removable) solvents. This greatly affects long term durability.

They last much longer than a wax or sealant (2'ish years for a coating and a few weeks to a few months for a wax/sealant under normal use) and offer superior protection but are still greatly limited by their chemistry.

Modesta can rightly claim the durability is does(3-10 years) because BC-03, BC-04 and BC-05 are inorganic and cure into a real and durable glass layer. The silica to evaporative solvent content is greatly in favor of the quality and the final product, not a lower cost or ease of use. This is also part of the reason it can be considered a true glass coating. The liquid product will cure into clear glass without any assistance required from a lab setting. I and other installers have created our own glass straight from bottles to demonstrate this.

Once installed and cured(properly -which is more demanding than other products I have personally tested), the only factor that will affect durability will be the on-going care. Because, as we both know, a coating is not a silver bullet that is invincible. They require on-going care(cleaning, decontamination when necessary, etc.). But because a Modesta coating actually becomes a part of the surface, it will not wear away like most of products. The exception for Modesta would be for BC-08. It was engineered to be a quality 3 year coating solution that fits the bill for ones looking for similar performance from other organic coating systems. But for BC-03, BC-04 and BC-05 there is nothing else on the market quite like them in my experience.

Here is an example of what I am speaking of. The product in the cup is a popular professional-only coating that suggests 2-3 years of durability and the clear cubes and shards are inorganic Modesta that is cured. All products were created the same way; pure product poured into a container and allowed to air dry. The product still in the cup is still there because it is a crusty mess, not a solid. The Modesta pieces could be removed and produced this way because of the high quality products and very high silica content to solvent ratio. We have performed this test with every coating I have put my hands on and we have them on display in my office for clients to see with their own eyes. The proof's in the pudding as they say.

With that said. These are part of the reason why Modesta costs what it costs. There is no extensive national marketing campaign to pay for on the back of a higher cost. There is no crazy overhead that needs to be compensated for by charging more. There are no false claims nor hype of being "elite" or "one of the few chosen"(which is ironic when one looks at the actual number of installers for any given product line -lol) that causes an increase in the cost to the consumer. The bottom line is that the product costs a lot to produce, costs a lot for each installer to purchase, requires an measure of expertise and willingness to spend a lot more time on each installation. These are the primary reasons why a Modesta job costs what it costs.

With full-disclosure in mind, I feel compelled to make this clear. I am a partner at the company that distributes Modesta in North America. To clear the air... it can be said that I am biased. And I admit I am biased. But I am not biased because I gain. I am biased because I have used most of the products on the market, at one time I have likely used them in a professional setting and have personally found Modesta to be the best for my clients and the highest quality product line available. It has always been sold as my best even when we used to offer other products who've claimed to be just that. Modesta costs more, requires more time, requires more expertise to get it right and the results have always been outstanding. I am biased because I looked at the all facets and married a brand I saw as the best. Though, I am sure everyone says they have the best and most honestly believe they do have the best. So take my .02 for what it's worth.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JSF721
Mr Designs,

i am a detailing geek. I have used pro coatings, non pro coatings and seen modesta up close after its been applied. It looks good. So do all pro coatings. If you want a good unbiased review send me enough to go my car and I'll report back. My skills are top pro level with polishing and prep. I'd need to learn the specific requirements of your product. I give you a full review. Let me know if interested.
I appreciate the gesture but that is not a possibility.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:44 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

Mr Designs,

Coatings like Modesta require an advanced knowledge of prep AND countless textbook applications to get familiar with the nuances of the coating on various paint types.

Furthermore, IR curing lamps are necessary to fully cure the coating to the optimal level, and that further requires daily use and experience with the coating and how it behaves.

Cannot stress how many things can go wrong when using "professional" coatings, that's why they're only available to professionals. It's not because we want to keep things out of consumer hands because we want to make a lot of $$$...it's because the products SHOULD NOT be used by someone not properly trained, because the down side can be greater than the upside.

That's why there are coating made that are more "consumer" friendly and provide amazing results...they have a more forgiving margin of error.

No matter how well you brush your teeth/floss, and have the right tools, it probably is not in your best interest to perform your own root canal or dental implant...better left to the pros.

We are fortunate to be an authorized installer for CQuartz Finest Reserve and have also used Modesta in the past. Both are amazing coatings, but both require their own unique application methods and neither is forgiving if steps are not followed correctly.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:08 PM
JSF721
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well until I see it for myself I won't drink the cool aid.

The modesto products are applied by the top tier Detailer’s. And I know enough about fillers, glazes, polishes and burnishing to know those guys can make a turd shine like a diamond.

What I would pay for is better durability , mar resistance and extended hydrophobic action without toppers. I only hand wash my cars and and fully outfitted to be in the detailing business. I have just been doing my cars but now have a very few select clients / friends cars I do.

Just Wanted to see for my self and give you an opportunity to proove your product with an unbiased review. If it's that good I figured it's the cheapest advertising you can get.

offer stands but we're running out of season around here. I do my car last so keep that in Mind.

. [qOTE=Detailed Designs;14489071]I appreciate the gesture but that is not a possibility.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-21-2017, 04:47 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Well until I see it for myself I won't drink the cool aid.

The modesto products are applied by the top tier Detailer’s. And I know enough about fillers, glazes, polishes and burnishing to know those guys can make a turd shine like a diamond.

What I would pay for is better durability , mar resistance and extended hydrophobic action without toppers. I only hand wash my cars and and fully outfitted to be in the detailing business. I have just been doing my cars but now have a very few select clients / friends cars I do.

Just Wanted to see for my self and give you an opportunity to proove your product with an unbiased review. If it's that good I figured it's the cheapest advertising you can get.

offer stands but we're running out of season around here. I do my car last so keep that in Mind.

. [qOTE=Detailed Designs;14489071]I appreciate the gesture but that is not a possibility.
[/QUOTE]

Moe pretty much nailed it. Aside from the technical aspects, Modesta is not a new product that is in need of reviews aside from the ones paying customers have already given. Modesta's coatings have been in use for over 10 years worldwide. While it's been stateside for about 4-5 years, there are still many unbiased reviews available on countless forums.

I appreciate your willingness to have a go with it but not even professionals are given access to the product before receiving hands-on training by myself or one of 2 other people in North America to ensure the very concerns you are voicing about filling and whatnot are not issues with a Modesta installation. It was not always this way but it became very clear very quickly that even professionals without proper hands-on training are not qualified to use the products.

Modesta is bred for the professional and there are no plans to make a coating available to the public. But if one does become available I am pleased to reach out and provide you with a no-cost bottle so you may give your .02 on a brand new product. I would not wait for that to happen though. From the owners of Modesta International to the distributors, there is no desire to make a push into the DIY market.

There are plenty of over the counter coatings that suffice for the DIY'er that will do better with an easier to use and less expensive coating anyways. I would urge you to look to those products and enjoy whatever they may offer you.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:18 PM
John Belk
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tomb18
I used CQuartz and did a full detail on the car before hand.
The main reason I used it is to avoid swirls from regular washing. It is really really durable.
Be careful though.,..if you put it on and don't take it off when you are supposed to it can leave a permanent streak that requires polishing to get out. Same thing if you inadvertently drop a spot on the car. Really tough to remove once cured.
Aprox a month ago had the same CQuatz product professionally applied to my 12 TTS and 17 ZO6. The 5 year old Porsche paint absolutely shows as new now. It's a very high sheen in my layman terms. Washing the car with they're booster product results in a no swirl finish not to mention makes it pretty easy to keep clean.
The cost to have the car deep cleaned, polished and ceramic coated was on the pricey side, close to 1% of the car's value...but the outcome and near maintenance free results were well worth it to me.
Darker paints tend to benefit greatly!!! JB

Quick Reply: Nano coating?!?