Turbo S Buying Advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:18 PM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turbo S Buying Advise

Hi

I am looking at a nice one owner 2011 Turbo S with 39k miles clean Car Fax.

I have no previous experience with turbo's and could use your advise on what to look for when inspecting the car.

I know about looking at the ceramic brake wear but other things mechanical are unknown. Pricing advise would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance for all the input.

Alex
Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo S

Ive have a 2012 red coupe that was amazing and I bought it new and owned for 13 mos. Amazing in every way. The car does it all and well.

Later I bought a a 2011 platinum Silver and this time it would have to have factory Aero Kit and 5 lug wheels so I could swap wheels I already had easily. Wish I never sold it a year ago but financially it was the wise thing to do. Got 90k and it had 31k miles. Dealer probably sold it for 98-100k.

The second one had CPO the 2 years I owned it which was nice. I'm guessing most are running out of CPO by now so I would advice getting a good fidelity platinum care extended warranty mostly bc I hear a few PDK cars have needed new trannys.

Im in a 07 TT and love the car and bought it wisely with out finance. Unlike the first 2 above. If I were to buy another 997.2 TT S. I couldn't justify paying more than 90k but likely between 80-90k for a good 175k MSRP CAR.

What dealers were were trying to buy mine for a year ago was insane. The lowest offer was 176k. On a 185k msrp car.

Good luck.

Tom
Old 08-17-2017, 02:09 AM
Sobrut911
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Plugs should have been replaced by now. Tpms are probably ready for replacement . Make sure its been properly serviced and do ppi. I have 36,600 miles on my 2011TTS and have had zero problems, including zero warranty claims. I'm on my third set of tires.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:05 AM
Whosdady
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my 2011 TTS last March. Get a thorough ppi and drive the car yourself. It's hard to catch everything but you can certainly eliminate several potential issues.

i haven't had any problems but I have thought about an extended warranty. Just for that piece of mind...
Old 08-17-2017, 10:10 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

2011 can be CPO if buying from dealer. Worth every penny. Haven't heard about any issues with the "S".
Old 08-17-2017, 10:53 AM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Whosdady
I purchased my 2011 TTS last March. Get a thorough ppi and drive the car yourself. It's hard to catch everything but you can certainly eliminate several potential issues.

i haven't had any problems but I have thought about an extended warranty. Just for that piece of mind...
Originally Posted by JG 996T
2011 can be CPO if buying from dealer. Worth every penny. Haven't heard about any issues with the "S".
I thought CPO lasts only for 6 years total after the In-service date?
I will ask the dealer. thanks

Originally Posted by Sobrut911
Plugs should have been replaced by now. Tpms are probably ready for replacement . Make sure its been properly serviced and do ppi. I have 36,600 miles on my 2011TTS and have had zero problems, including zero warranty claims. I'm on my third set of tires.
Yes the car had regular service at local dealers throughout its life.
Plugs , brake flush and a cam solenoid(whatever that is) were replaced 2000 miles ago.
Thanks

Originally Posted by tguaturbo
Ive have a 2012 red coupe that was amazing and I bought it new and owned for 13 mos. Amazing in every way. The car does it all and well.

Later I bought a a 2011 platinum Silver and this time it would have to have factory Aero Kit and 5 lug wheels so I could swap wheels I already had easily. Wish I never sold it a year ago but financially it was the wise thing to do. Got 90k and it had 31k miles. Dealer probably sold it for 98-100k.

The second one had CPO the 2 years I owned it which was nice. I'm guessing most are running out of CPO by now so I would advice getting a good fidelity platinum care extended warranty mostly bc I hear a few PDK cars have needed new trannys.

Im in a 07 TT and love the car and bought it wisely with out finance. Unlike the first 2 above. If I were to buy another 997.2 TT S. I couldn't justify paying more than 90k but likely between 80-90k for a good 175k MSRP CAR.

What dealers were were trying to buy mine for a year ago was insane. The lowest offer was 176k. On a 185k msrp car.

Good luck.

Tom

Thank you all for the input, I will get a PPI at a local Porsche dealer.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:56 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by kahane18
I thought CPO lasts only for 6 years total after the In-service date? I will ask the dealer. thanks
8 years from production date.

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2017, 06:12 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

The TTS does everything well but nothing exceptionally well (JMO). I would thoroughly inspect, test and verify that every component in the car works such as the PCM, windows, lights, PASM, A/C, heat, seats, PCCB wear etc. - EVERYTHING. Fixing any of these can get expensive unless you have a warranty. Also ensure you get copies of any work the previous owner had performed on the car. Get a PPI too.

Things I would not want on a TT or TTS - center lock wheels and multi colored upholstery/interior.

Things I want on a TT on a TTS - back-up sensors, Sirius/XM, cooled seats (especially if you live in a warm or tropical climate), and the Aero kit (matter of taste).
Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Why? I love mine.

They look great and differentiate from all the other 5-lug wheel sets out there.

Walt

"Things I would not want on a TT or TTS - center lock
wheels"
Old 08-18-2017, 11:38 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

I would never have bought a car without the center lock wheels, even though they're hard to clean, well. I LOVE the look of this car, the way it drives, the ease of PDK in our bumper to bumper traffic here in DC, the sirius radio (A MUST FOR ME), the adaptive sport seat (wouldn't have bought a car without it), etc.

GET WHAT YOU WANT, get a PPI and just enjoy it. You can buy an aftermarket warranty for "cheap" for these cars. I got the Fidelity warranty (I think that's what it was). It added many years to it for about $4k or so. I can't remember. Whatever it costs it's worth it for sure.

Good luck. Everyone will have a differing opinion on this car. It ONLY matters what you like and think, that's all. I drove my car for 1 minute before turning around and telling the dealer "I'll take it". That particular one didn't check out but a future one did, and i bought it sight unseen, no PPI. I bought the dealer, definitely... the seller. I trusted them implicitly. It was exactly as advertised.

Steve
Old 08-19-2017, 04:10 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

JMO but I don't want center locks because 1) more effort required to keep them clean although PCCB's help a lot, 2) special tools are required to remove and replace them (long breaker bar and large torque wrench), and 3) approximately 440 pounds of torque required to re-mount them. If I had a flat with center locks I would just trailer the car to my nearest dealer and let them deal with it. And I guess most importantly, they just don't appeal to me.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Originally Posted by tguaturbo

Good luck.

Tom
So how do you like your .1 compared to your .2? Would assume your .1 is a 6 speed and not a tiptronic. Just wondering overall how you find it and if one you liked a lot more?
Old 08-19-2017, 05:50 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Overall, the DFI 997.2 Turbos seem to be really solid cars. Besides the random PDK failure here and there, which someone mentioned you can easily get a Fidelity warranty for, you should be fine. I would definitely recommend a PPI, just so that you can find out if anything needs replacing and hopefully get the price down a bit.

Quick Reply: Turbo S Buying Advise