Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Turbo, strange whining noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:23 PM
FLGT2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Turbo, strange whining noise.

I have a 997.2 turbo with PDK that has just recently started to make a whining noise.It sounds like it is coming from the front part of the car.It is most noticeable on acceleration and sound kinda like a straight cut gearbox would sound.
Has any one else experienced anything similar and could shed some light on what it maybe?????
Old 08-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I experienced something very similar to what you are describing when the front differential failed in my 996 C4S. I hope that's not the issue for you!
Old 08-15-2017, 10:44 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

What Dennis C alluded to. Front diff. That has to be high on the list of possible explanations.

Without hearing the noise -- and this is not a request for an audio clip -- about the only thing I can offer other than to 2nd the front diff explanation -- is front tire alignment.

Surprisingly rather mild front tire misalignment on my 996 Turbo accounted for noise that had me suspecting a wheel bearing problem or worse.

Porsche tech diagnosed wheel alignment and sure enough after he pointed out the front tire condition -- which had signs of scrubbing/feathering which one could see/feel -- I agreed.

The alignment wasn't that bad as I drove 2K miles home then had the car aligned and after a few hundred miles as the tires adapted to the new alignment the noise was gone.

A noisy front diff or noisy tires or whatever proves to be the source of the noise is not going to get better on its own. Best thing is to get it road tested by a reputable Porsche tech who can then make a diagnosis.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:37 PM
FLGT2
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After putting the car up on a lift and wiggling the drive shafts to see if there was excessive play, we found out the whole front diff is loose and moving. The bolts that connect the diff to the subframe had come out. So new bolts have been ordered and hopefully thats all its going to be.We are going to check the diff oil to see if there is any metal particles in it to indicate excessive wear on the gears due to all the movement,but hopefully that will not be the case.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:18 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by FLGT2
After putting the car up on a lift and wiggling the drive shafts to see if there was excessive play, we found out the whole front diff is loose and moving. The bolts that connect the diff to the subframe had come out. So new bolts have been ordered and hopefully thats all its going to be.We are going to check the diff oil to see if there is any metal particles in it to indicate excessive wear on the gears due to all the movement,but hopefully that will not be the case.
Wow., that's a scary situation. Was it ever worked on before?

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo, strange whining noise.