GT3 no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 12:43 AM
Astrix
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 66 Posts
Default GT3 no start

Hi,

I went to start my gt3 yesterday and no luck, I thought perhaps the battery had died down a bit as its been cold here in Sydney lately, so I put the booster pack on it and still no joy, I can hear the relay working when I turn the key, so it sounds to me as though the starter is getting power, but no action? I tried the whole deadlock/unlock process too, no joy, I had the clutch switch replaced last service as a preventative maintenance measure too.

Any ideas on a common fault before I go dragging it to a shop.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 AM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

Double check your clutch switch even though you had it replaced. You can simply jumper the two wires on the white switch to bypass. You can also check your starter relay, even though you hear it click you can have a bad contact.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrix
Hi,

I went to start my gt3 yesterday and no luck, I thought perhaps the battery had died down a bit as its been cold here in Sydney lately, so I put the booster pack on it and still no joy, I can hear the relay working when I turn the key, so it sounds to me as though the starter is getting power, but no action? I tried the whole deadlock/unlock process too, no joy, I had the clutch switch replaced last service as a preventative maintenance measure too.

Any ideas on a common fault before I go dragging it to a shop.
The general rule is when something goes wrong out of the blue the last thing touched to that then leads us to the clutch safety interlock switch. The time I had a problem with this though I never heard anything noises when I tried to start the engine. The dash lights come on normally but then dead silence.

Do the dash lights dim when you turn the key to start? If so then it could be a real flat battery.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:39 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

+3 on clutch switch

i need to really push the clutch all the way down to satisfy the switch for a cold start
Old 07-10-2017, 02:21 AM
Astrix
Racer

Thanks guys, that kinda echoes my thoughts too, to check the last thing done! I noticed it was an intermittent issue last track day, but cycling the key off then on again seemed to remedy this.

I would not be surprised mind you, I had to re-bleed the brakes track side too as I had the fluid changed, again, preventative maintenance
Old 07-10-2017, 02:22 AM
monstaR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried syncing your key with the immobiliser? Give it a shot and see whether it works.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:09 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Could be bad cell in battery if more than 4 years old.
Try a fresh battery from one of your other cars, see if it starts.

If it fails, go back to switch per above.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had all sorts of starting issues on my 7.2 GT3:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ing-issue.html
Old 07-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Astrix
Racer

Originally Posted by monstaR
Have you tried syncing your key with the immobiliser? Give it a shot and see whether it works.
I tried that tonight, no luck! To clarify; with car locked, unlock by key, with door still shut, unlock on the remote, open car and start as per norm.

Originally Posted by tgavem
Could be bad cell in battery if more than 4 years old.
Try a fresh battery from one of your other cars, see if it starts.

If it fails, go back to switch per above.
I connected my battery booster pack, no better or worse, so I don't think it's the battery?

Originally Posted by sfo
I had all sorts of starting issues on my 7.2 GT3:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ing-issue.html
That doesn't make me feel good! 😂
Old 07-10-2017, 09:09 AM
RAPID
Racer

As said above, if your battery is older than a few years (5 or 6), it is very likely to be that: mine was 6 years old and always on the trickle charge when not driven. At first it took a few attempt to start it, then one day no luck. I could hear the starter motor being triggered, but nothing else...I changed the battery and that did it. No more issue since 2 years...
Old 07-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks guys, that kinda echoes my thoughts too, to check the last thing done! I noticed it was an intermittent issue last track day, but cycling the key off then on again seemed to remedy this.

I would not be surprised mind you, I had to re-bleed the brakes track side too as I had the fluid changed, again, preventative maintenance
That's a switch then more than likely. I had a switch replaced in my Boxster and the no start symptom remained though much less frequently.

Tech said that what can happen is the switch bracket needs to be adjusted so the contact with the plunger is sufficient to ensure the switch plunger gets fully depressed. I can't remember now if he did this or replaced the new switch. (There was also a problem with some new switches being bad.)

Anyhow, the only time the engine doesn't start now is when absentmindly either don't press the clutch pedal down all the way or possibly turn the key to start before I have the clutch pedal pressed all the way down.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:30 PM
monstaR
Intermediate

I tried that tonight, no luck! To clarify; with car locked, unlock by key, with door still shut, unlock on the remote, open car and start as per norm.

I connected my battery booster pack, no better or worse, so I don't think it's the battery?

That doesn't make me feel good! 😂
I was shown by the porsche tech the procedure to sync the key is to:

1. insert key and turn to position 1
2. press and hold the lock/unlock button and hold on to it for 3-5 seconds while in position 1 and you will see a couple of blinks coming from the immobilizer sign near the AC vents
3. return key back to position 0 and the immobiliser is synced

That's what I can recall but highly advise for you to take a look at the manual as I am sure there is mention on this as well.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:09 AM
Astrix
Racer

Originally Posted by monstaR
I was shown by the porsche tech the procedure to sync the key is to:

1. insert key and turn to position 1
2. press and hold the lock/unlock button and hold on to it for 3-5 seconds while in position 1 and you will see a couple of blinks coming from the immobilizer sign near the AC vents
3. return key back to position 0 and the immobiliser is synced

That's what I can recall but highly advise for you to take a look at the manual as I am sure there is mention on this as well.
Thanks for that!

Update - I was able to start it last night, having said that, I had to cycle the key at least a dozen times in quick succession before it would kick over.

I took it out for a quick drive to warm it up and upon return, I switched it off and went right back at it, it fired up straight away.

Based on this I am thinking it may have a sticky starter solenoid.

As I said, I put the battery jumper pack on it, it made no difference, I will check the date and then load test the battery, but based on the above I am not convinced the battery is the issue.

Cheers
Old 07-11-2017, 03:13 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had this issue a bit with mine, I found that if I keep the clutch depressed and hold the key all the way over to the right then it usually starts after 10 seconds even if the warning comes up to depress the clutch

Quick Reply: GT3 no start