Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cup car gear shift cables noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 03:17 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cup car gear shift cables noisy?

I was looking at the FVD site at getting a new set of shifter cables since getting t from 2nd to 3rd is becoming difficult more often when shifting under load. Cars at 60k miles, so I think it's a reasonable time to replace.

Here's the cables - I think they're essentially cup car cables with the metal ends as opposed to OEM street car with the rubber bushings.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD424051/...d-996-997.html

Anyone use these in a DD and is the noise actually significant?
Old 07-01-2017, 03:55 PM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kind of like a stereo question.... Just push the sport button and u will never hear anything from the cables.

I used similar ones in my Cayman. Occasionally you can hear drivetrain noise, but in the GT3 it is loud enough that I don't think you would ever notice.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:16 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 991 Posts

Those are not Cup cables. Those appear to be Numeric. Do a search, those get a fair amount of complaints about noise. I have Porsche Motorsport 996Cup cables and have just a hint whine from time to time, certainly nothing to complain about. I have a LWFW and RS semisolid engine mounts also. I would stick with the genuine Cup cables instead of the copies.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:08 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I have 996 cup cables and shifter on my gt3 with dual mass flywheel. There is a very subtle whine if the radio is off and you are crusing at low rpm. Otherwise I don't notice it.

A friend of mine has 996 cup cables and shifter with lwfw and his car has much more NVH than my car.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:55 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Mine rattles a bit. Cup cables semi solid mounts cup shifter light flywheel.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:59 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Yep. Normal. Mike
Old 07-02-2017, 04:32 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Echo some of the comments. There is a very slight wine from the my 996 CUP cables, but not very noticeable conisdering the exhaust and road noise from the tires. Good luck finding factory 996 CUP cables. I think there was a set on RL marketplace for a bit but they're now unobtanium now that Porsche Motorsports have discontinued them.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:43 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by DYSL
Good luck finding factory 996 CUP cables. I think there was a set on RL marketplace for a bit but they're now unobtanium now that Porsche Motorsports have discontinued them.
I had 10 set of the cables. I still have 5 sets of brand new sets of the factory Cup cables left from the last production run before they were discontinued. Will keep 2 sets for myself as spares and sell the rest.

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-04-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

The ones pictured are Numeric. I have them on my car and from a function standpoint they work well. I think they had a couple of issues early on with stretching or something like that but I've checked mine quite a few times since install and they function quite well and are holding together nicely.

That said, they are noisy but as others have stated window down you don't really notice. On my car, even with a 100+ DB exhaust when I have windows up and A/C on they do make a good bit of noise. I also went to a more solid transmission mount at the same time so I'm sure it's a little of both contributing but the whining through the cables is pretty apparent. If you are adverse to these types of noises the cables are not a mod for you.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts

Those are Numeric cables. If you have exhaust on your car then you don't need to worry about any noise. The noise is so insignificant. The cable itself is bigger in diameter and the rod ends aren't made out of plastic. So it transfers some gear whine from the transmission. You can get of it very simply though. I sell silicone tube that you would wrap around the cables. It will absorb the gear whine. Or you can go to an auto parts store and buy some 3/8 or 7/16 ID fuel line and use that. It is less expensive than silicone tube but doesn't work as good. I cut the tube in a spiral so you don't need to use any zip ties to hold it on. One twist per foot will work just fine. It is also important that you reuse the rubber grommet that hold the cables in the firewall. SO if your worried about noise this is the solution.

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 07-03-2017, 05:52 PM
zaitsev
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there's unanimous feedback that these cables (and cup cables) make noise, but everyone still runs them. It's what sets this car apart from the lesser ones. Choose your poison
Old 07-04-2017, 05:58 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like Numeric has a pretty good solution to the whine.

Any reports from people that have done the silicone tube?
Old 07-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
Those are Numeric cables. If you have exhaust on your car then you don't need to worry about any noise. The noise is so insignificant. The cable itself is bigger in diameter and the rod ends aren't made out of plastic. So it transfers some gear whine from the transmission. You can get of it very simply though. I sell silicone tube that you would wrap around the cables. It will absorb the gear whine. Or you can go to an auto parts store and buy some 3/8 or 7/16 ID fuel line and use that. It is less expensive than silicone tube but doesn't work as good. I cut the tube in a spiral so you don't need to use any zip ties to hold it on. One twist per foot will work just fine. It is also important that you reuse the rubber grommet that hold the cables in the firewall. SO if your worried about noise this is the solution.

Awesome! Never though of the silicone solution.

Quick Reply: Cup car gear shift cables noisy?