Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 tick at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:52 AM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 tick at idle

First thought it's the vacuum pump but can't hear the noise coming from it. Unable to track it really.

Symptoms:
1. Only can here the ticking noise inside the cabin
2. Starts about 2 minutes after cold start
3. Comes and goes. Can increase in frequency at same rpm.
4. Blip the throttle to 3k rpm and it goes away. Then comes back.
5. Only get the tick at idle
6. Not constant. Comes and goes.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:53 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Only when cold or hot too?

When these are cold it sounds like the motor is going to fall apart usually
Old 04-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mm450exc
First thought it's the vacuum pump but can't hear the noise coming from it. Unable to track it really.

Symptoms:
1. Only can here the ticking noise inside the cabin
2. Starts about 2 minutes after cold start
3. Comes and goes. Can increase in frequency at same rpm.
4. Blip the throttle to 3k rpm and it goes away. Then comes back.
5. Only get the tick at idle
6. Not constant. Comes and goes.
First I assume the oil's reasonably fresh, the right oil, and the oil level is good?

While on the subject the power steering and coolant fluid levels are all good too?

The noise could be due to a number of causes.

My advice would be to have the car checked out by an experienced Porsche tech. Be sure you can reproduce the noise on demand. The tech will listen to the car and probably with it on the lift pinpoint from where the noise is coming from. Knowing this then helps him know what's the cause and what to do about it.

Could be something noisy in the accessory drive.

A month or so back after a 30 mile drive to work I stopped just a few blocks away to pick up some breakfast. When I got back in the car (my Boxster) and started the engine I hard a noise, periodic, regular. A tick like noise but not at a period that had me believing it was coming from a valve lifter, or something similar from inside the engine. I drove the car to the office and parked it. Debated what to do and finally decided to err on the side of caution and called a tow truck to have the car flat bedded to my local dealer. At the dealer with the car on the ground and the SA and tech at the car started the engine and of course no noise.

Since the car was nearly due for servicing I left the car for servcing and at the same time to let the tech check the car over. He reported the accessory drive was fine, no play anywhere, belt was fine everything was fine. To be sure I took the car out and duplicated as best I could the drive of the day or two before and was unable to reproduce the noise.

SA/tech both said they see maybe 6 cars a year in with a noise similar to what I reported and it is from something -- a piece of paper, leaf, even water sometimes -- that gets into the accessory drive and causes a noise.

While the car has twice now got something caught in a brake it has never in over 310K miles got something caught in the accessory drive but it must have that day.

Back to your car: Could be a water pump. Could be a bad belt. Could be a loose plug. Could be an exhaust leak. And so on.

Unless you are willng to get your hands dirty and are able to get under the car and pinpoint the source of the noise my advice I offered above I think is the best. Arrange to have the noise heard by a Porsche tech and let him diagnose the location of the noise and what it may mean and go from there.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:42 PM
mm450exc
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it when cold and hot.

Macster - Will have my tech have a look next week and see what we find.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Post video

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 tick at idle