Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone one w turn down tips to borrow/rent?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:49 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
Alekshop sells sells a gps module that automatically closes the exhaust valves prior to the sound booth and opens the valves past the sound booth. That should allow you to pass. I've run at Laguna 2x with a gmg bypass and manually opened/closed the valves with my carnewal remote and I had no issues with sound at laguna. The gps module automates this procedure.
Thanks! I saw a thread about GPS module, but the car with 3 mufflers and the valves close does 92 db according to what I read. And this is a 90 db day, so I need even more quiet and have to run the tips regardless.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:11 AM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Thanks! I saw a thread about GPS module, but the car with 3 mufflers and the valves close does 92 db according to what I read. And this is a 90 db day, so I need even more quiet and have to run the tips regardless.
just for a datapoint my previous setup with the gmg bypass and valves closed passed on two different 90db days with overcast without any Laguna tips.

Running intermediate group in the 1.47s.

I've been flagged at 104.1 db at thill with valves completely open with this setup so it's pretty loud system. I would think that setup is louder than your 3 muffler setup.

tips would be good for extra precaution though.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:02 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

just for a datapoint my previous setup with the gmg bypass and valves closed passed on two different 90db days with overcast without any Laguna tips.

Running intermediate group in the 1.47s.

I've been flagged at 104.1 db at thill with valves completely open with this setup so it's pretty loud system. I would think that setup is louder than your 3 muffler setup.

tips would be good for extra precaution though.
Really?!?! I'm very surprised you were able to pass with a center muffler bypass with the valves closed! Do you know what decibels you were running?

Yeah, I'm only going to do Laguna once. May be worth investing in tips and taking them to the track in the box. So can see if it's needed to be swapped or not. This way I can return it if I don't use it
Old 02-03-2017, 09:45 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Really?!?! I'm very surprised you were able to pass with a center muffler bypass with the valves closed! Do you know what decibels you were running?

Yeah, I'm only going to do Laguna once. May be worth investing in tips and taking them to the track in the box. So can see if it's needed to be swapped or not. This way I can return it if I don't use it
I never got meatballed at laguna so I'm not sure what the actual sound level was for my car.

if you can't find anyone to borrow the tips from, contact alekshop or spmotorsports to build you a set. They both offer Laguna pipes.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:39 AM
Alekshop
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

The only way boostedt0y would be able to pass with muffler bypass is only if upshift to 5th gear and lift a LOT at T5.

Bone stock GT3 cant pass sound if you are not upshifting or lifting. I was kicked out personally from 3 laguna days on my bone stock GT3 for sound failure.

for 92db days you can get away with GPS box
for 90db day you need to have GPS box plus turndown pipes.

We offer both pipes and GPS box and they are a simple plug and play setup and works on 997/991 GT3/RS cars

Here is 991 being setup for laguna and 997 running at laguna with SW bypass and our pipes and GPS box ... Both cars pass sound at Laguna and now sound limited Sear Point.
Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2017, 01:54 AM
boostedt0y
Banned

Originally Posted by Alekshop
The only way boostedt0y would be able to pass with muffler bypass is only if upshift to 5th gear and lift a LOT at T5.

Bone stock GT3 cant pass sound if you are not upshifting or lifting. I was kicked out personally from 3 laguna days on my bone stock GT3 for sound failure.

for 92db days you can get away with GPS box
for 90db day you need to have GPS box plus turndown pipes.

We offer both pipes and GPS box and they are a simple plug and play setup and works on 997/991 GT3/RS cars

Here is 991 being setup for laguna and 997 running at laguna with SW bypass and our pipes and GPS box ... Both cars pass sound at Laguna and now sound limited Sear Point.
idk maybe the stewards were lenient the two times I've been to Laguna. Myself and a friend with a gt3 who has a gmg bypass also passed sound using the carnewal remote to close the valves without having to lift and/or be in 5th gear. I was in 3rd and wot up the hill. But as I mentioned above I've only gone 2x.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:58 AM
Alekshop
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

idk maybe the stewards were lenient the two times I've been to Laguna. Myself and a friend with a gt3 who has a gmg bypass also passed sound using the carnewal remote to close the valves without having to lift and/or be in 5th gear. I was in 3rd and wot up the hill. But as I mentioned above I've only gone 2x.
You guys got lucky! It's a nonsense to have a sound limit at the race track ... but something we have to deal with ...

Best are the no sound limit days Our RS with racing headers and SW bypass was popping ears
Old 02-05-2017, 08:26 PM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Flaps closed, Sharkwerks bypass I wouldn't need to lift or short shift up the hill (LS 92). Flaps open I hit 105!
Old 02-07-2017, 01:56 AM
Alekshop
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by etchhead
Flaps closed, Sharkwerks bypass I wouldn't need to lift or short shift up the hill (LS 92). Flaps open I hit 105!
Problem with flaps is that they open after 4-4.5k RPM. So if you are on it the flaps won't stay closed which mean you have to lift or upshift or both to have valves closed and to pass the sound.

It's been like that on at least a dozen cars that I drove/setup for Laguna.

Maybe soundbooth worker was on lunch

Aleks.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 AM
boostedt0y
Banned

Problem with flaps is that they open after 4-4.5k RPM. So if you are on it the flaps won't stay closed which mean you have to lift or upshift or both to have valves closed and to pass the sound.

It's been like that on at least a dozen cars that I drove/setup for Laguna.

Maybe soundbooth worker was on lunch

Aleks.
you can keep the valves closed regardless of rpm by capping the exhaust valve switch which controls the opening and closing of the valves as shown in the link below. Probably not best for the car due to the excess heat build up.

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/technical-articles/167-997-gt3-laguna-seca-db-sound-buster-modification-beat-the-db-limit-at-laguna.html

Alternatively, you can buy the carnewal exhaust valve controller which allows you to manually control whether the valves are always open or always closed through the press of a button on the remote that comes with the controller. I was closing the valves prior to the booth using the remote and opening the valves using the remote once past the sound booth.

http://carnewal.com/products/P87/p97084/PSE-Manual-Control
Old 02-07-2017, 02:21 AM
Alekshop
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

you can keep the valves closed regardless of rpm by capping the exhaust valve switch which controls the opening and closing of the valves as shown in the link below. Probably not best for the car due to the excess heat build up.

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...at-laguna.html

Alternatively, you can buy the carnewal exhaust valve controller which allows you to manually control whether the valves are always open or always closed through the press of a button on the remote that comes with the controller. I was closing the valves prior to the booth using the remote and opening the valves using the remote once past the sound booth.

http://carnewal.com/products/P87/p97...Manual-Control
Yep there are many ways to make/force them to stay closed but we try to make it less invasive and without you thinking/pressing anything when you are going for that 137 lap

Better to focus on driving than thinking about sounds booth haha

Aleks.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:26 AM
boostedt0y
Banned

Yep there are many ways to make/force them to stay closed but we try to make it less invasive and without you thinking/pressing anything when you are going for that 137 lap

Better to focus on driving than thinking about sounds booth haha

Aleks.
yep I totally agree! I'll be in touch re the gps module once I find a used set of valved side delete pipes to replace my bbi setup.

Quick Reply: Anyone one w turn down tips to borrow/rent?