Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Side mufflers - options

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 08:30 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Side mufflers - options

One more time reaching out to the vast experience of Rennlist community, this time as we were getting a bypass for the center muffler we realized that the side mufflers are cracked, both on the same place on the seam that faces to the back of the car right under the smaller of the two pipes that connect to the center muffler. It has been running like this for a while as you can tell there is some exhaust residues on the heat shield.

Is this something common? Anybody had a similar failure?

My goal was to keep volume checked and the center bypass was sufficient to satisfy my need for noise.

Options?
1- It seem that can be welded, but not sure about materials, integrity, etc.
2- Alternatively a new muffler is quite expensive, I wanted to keep volume checked but also want to have a cost effective solution...
3- Aftermarket, but as commented did not want to increase the DB ... any recommendations? I saw Tubi keeping side mufflers as an example, not sure how loud with a bypass will result...

Comments and inputs much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by AGO; 12-28-2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-28-2016, 06:15 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 308 Posts

I think Fabspeed and M&M might have the most options if you want a substitute for side mufflers-check out websites, and FVD seems to be the distributor in the US for M&M.
I ended up keeping my side mufflers with FVD center bypass for now but was considering side deletes with valves. That might be a good choice for you if you still have the OEM center.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:28 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Makes sense, clearly one of the options I was considering is the side delete with valves.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:38 PM
chasen1211
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

careful with side deletes with valves, the car gets a bit more drone.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:00 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chasen1211
careful with side deletes with valves, the car gets a bit more drone.
What about without valves?
Old 12-28-2016, 10:28 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
What about without valves?
More drone and ears bleed. Find a good shop and get them welded. Run center bypass. Otherwise, be prepared to spend $$$ in quest to find your preferred tone. Enjoy!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Drone is very individual dependent. I've had side delete no valvaes and oem center for 3 years and I feel the car while not super quiet is very tolerable and doesn't drone. Well at full tilt it's a bit loud. In a good way.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:09 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

I have cargraphic headers catted and valved with side delete and stock center, no drone at all on .1, typical 4k howl but screams at 6k+.

I also have evoms catted headers on my .2 stock sides and sharkwerks bypass which sounds louder and angrier over entire rpm range, still no drone.

Originally Posted by chasen1211
careful with side deletes with valves, the car getswith a bit more drone.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:36 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

I did a BBi side delete on a 7,1GT3 recently and sound is nice to my ears....but my straight pipe GT2 may have broken them,,lol
If I had a GT3, side deletes would be the way I go...from a weight/simplicity perspective.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

AGO,

If you are already planning on installing an aftermarket center muffler then any aftermarket side muffler bypass pipes will increase sound level over the OEM side mufflers. The ones with valves will produce lower sound decible at lower rpm when the valves are closed. When the valves are open they sound the same as the non-valved side muffler bypass pipes.

I have two options I can offer to you:

1) A used pair of OEM side mufflers in good condition(no cracks, no dents) for 600.

2) Hand-crafted stainless side muffler bypass pipes with valves. Link- http://www.tpcracing.com/gt3-active-...er-bypass.html

PS- I have not seen any side mufflers crack so this occurrence is uncommon to me.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 PM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So how loud would it be to add side bypass pipes if I already have the center bypass and catless headers?

JK. It would be straight pipes with no mufflers at all.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Not to say that your side muffler delete plan is bad in any way, but mine also cracked and I welded the seams back up. Piece of cake. I pulled the mufflers, but this can easly be done in place with the rear bumper off.

Either way is good, one is more expensive.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:29 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Here are the cracks...

Left side

Right side

Tom, thanks for the info as it helps to figure out the direction to go. Do you know approx. miles or use on the OEM's you have?

Protocav, good to know that welding may be an option. How long since you've done it, is it holding ok?

Last edited by AGO; 12-29-2016 at 01:34 PM. Reason: pics
Old 12-29-2016, 02:54 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Been about two months, and 3 trackdays, holding fine.

Those are worse than mine, but definitely still correctable.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:16 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
AGO,

If you are already planning on installing an aftermarket center muffler then any aftermarket side muffler bypass pipes will increase sound level over the OEM side mufflers. The ones with valves will produce lower sound decible at lower rpm when the valves are closed. When the valves are open they sound the same as the non-valved side muffler bypass pipes.

I have two options I can offer to you:

1) A used pair of OEM side mufflers in good condition(no cracks, no dents) for 600.

2) Hand-crafted stainless side muffler bypass pipes with valves. Link- http://www.tpcracing.com/gt3-active-...er-bypass.html

PS- I have not seen any side mufflers crack so this occurrence is uncommon to me.
I have the non-valved side delete pipes (Cargraphic) and OEM center muffler but I'm thinking about the valved version from TPC to bring sound levels down when needed. Do you have any measuements for the sound with valves both closed and open? On local trackdays noise limits are measured at 4500rpm at 45 degree angle, 0,5m from exhaust. I am now at appr. 102dB, would be nice to how many dB the valved version can lower the static noise at a given rpm.

Quick Reply: Side mufflers - options