Whats High Milage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 926 Likes on 520 Posts

57K miles, 10-12 track days a year, last cold leak down was less than 5% all cylinders, last dyno test(this Summer) made more power than a new engine.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 12-15-2016, 12:39 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,594 Likes on 2,300 Posts

good question.
on GT3, anything over 1000miles is high mileage and ppl freak out

but reality is that these things are like diesel. as long as you drive and maintain them, mileage isn't an issue, but condition is. good luck in your search
Old 12-15-2016, 12:20 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fantastic feedback. Thanks all.

I am also considering stretching to an RS. Anyone have a POV on that decision? I'm kind of worried i'd get the GT3 and immediately wish I gone the final step to RS......I could be wrong.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:30 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Also - Whats with all the stickers on the RS cars. I mean a few is ok, but I'm not sure I dig 'em. Thoughts?
Old 12-15-2016, 12:41 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb
Fantastic feedback. Thanks all.

I am also considering stretching to an RS. Anyone have a POV on that decision? I'm kind of worried i'd get the GT3 and immediately wish I gone the final step to RS......I could be wrong.
I upgraded within 8 months of buying GT3 - RS is more special - is the more special worth the more money is up to you
Old 12-15-2016, 01:19 PM
jacksojf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage

Just rolled over 36500 on my '07; absolutely no worries one or two DEs per year and 6-10 autocrosses/year and still solid as a rock.

Serviced twice/year spring and fall. As others have said, maintenance and care are the key. If you get service records, no reason to sweat the miles.

RS cars had the stickers from factory, but you could specify delete...generally I prefer without in most cases, your taste may vary.

Jeff
Old 12-15-2016, 01:44 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 359 Posts

Sold mine at 31k to a fellow RL'er. Car felt new and barely broken in. It's sad so many started to view these as investments instead of cars. They are amazing pieces of engineering and e.g. To be driven.

To me, high miles is 50k and above. Hoping to get to that on my RS
Old 12-15-2016, 01:46 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Sold mine at 31k to a fellow RL'er. Car felt new and barely broken in. It's sad so many started to view these as investments instead of cars. They are amazing pieces of engineering and e.g. To be driven.

To me, high miles is 50k and above. Hoping to get to that on my RS
Cars are very robust - they will disintegrate a quail at well over 90mph without issue - blood removal sometimes does require R3 though
Old 12-15-2016, 02:06 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by dlb
Once you start thinking about an RS you won't find comfort until you buy one. Many of us went through this process and are now happier as RS owners. It sounds like a joke and a cliche but it's true. You probably won't immediately wish you bought one if you got a GT3 because the GT3 is very, very good. But eventually you will.

However, there are different paths to the RS. Some buy it outright. I personally think the journey is very important. I was an air-cooled guy for many years and still am. But a few years back I bought a 997TT, then graduated to a GT3, and then got the RS. It was a natural progression that made me appreciate each of these cars and especially the RS. Because it is a much better car in all aspects but you won't know it until you try the others. It's the engine, suspension, gearing, sound, and the stickers No other car has given me more joy out of driving it. I've put 6K miles on it since April. It's been an amazing experience.

Originally Posted by dlb
Also - Whats with all the stickers on the RS cars. I mean a few is ok, but I'm not sure I dig 'em. Thoughts?
Stickers can be peeled off. I've debated this myself. For now I've kept them....
Old 12-15-2016, 04:32 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Once you start thinking about an RS you won't find comfort until you buy one. Many of us went through this process and are now happier as RS owners. It sounds like a joke and a cliche but it's true. You probably won't immediately wish you bought one if you got a GT3 because the GT3 is very, very good. But eventually you will.

However, there are different paths to the RS. Some buy it outright. I personally think the journey is very important. I was an air-cooled guy for many years and still am. But a few years back I bought a 997TT, then graduated to a GT3, and then got the RS. It was a natural progression that made me appreciate each of these cars and especially the RS. Because it is a much better car in all aspects but you won't know it until you try the others. It's the engine, suspension, gearing, sound, and the stickers No other car has given me more joy out of driving it. I've put 6K miles on it since April. It's been an amazing experience.

Stickers can be peeled off. I've debated this myself. For now I've kept them....
The progression you speak about is really an important part of owning these cars. I have owned a variety of cars, but there is something about progressing through the flavors of 911 that really does paint a picture.

I think my 964 will always be a keeper as its just such a different driving experience. Simple, slow, mechanical and it smells great. I am loving the Turbo, its barbaric in its speed, and from my POV one of the absolute best looking cars on the road. Those RS's though....they work their way into your brain. It is, I am sure, only a matter of time.

As for those stickers.....they would have to go.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:36 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Also - Thoughts on value curve? What was the bottom of their depreciation?
Old 12-15-2016, 06:49 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Cars are very robust - they will disintegrate a quail at well over 90mph without issue - blood removal sometimes does require R3 though
haha, i hit a low flyiing turkey at 70mph in 996gt3
glass shattered but didn't break.

Originally Posted by dlb
Also - Thoughts on value curve? What was the bottom of their depreciation?
i think 45,000 miles there about
Old 12-15-2016, 07:15 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread made me sad, that i have very low miles on my car.
I only have 37k miles.
I drove my car to work today in the rain.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:18 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ and it didn't melt?
you must have a MIT GT3?
no that's not the university. MADE IN TAIWAN
Old 12-16-2016, 12:29 AM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 289 Posts

my '11 just hit 10k and I instantly felt remorse...and moved on...

Quick Reply: Whats High Milage?