Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

one fifth the HP, twice the weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:16 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default one fifth the HP, twice the weight

Our much missed '07 GT3 is racking up the miles for its new owner, up near Chicago. He has put in a roll cage, added some decals, and hopefully he will post here one of these days. Seems to really love his GT3.

As I had mentioned a month or so ago, I finally got my '52 M 37 Command Truck back to SC, cost me $1100 to get it to my home near Charlotte, the truck coming from eastern NE. Arrived a few days ago. Pretty original, just lacking the radio's it would have had back then. I have a NOS antennae system to mount on the truck, as soon as i paint it, and put the stars and decals and such back on it. No rust, just weathered a bit. Former owner had it for 22 years, garaged when not running, has about 6K on the odo. Four speed, "granny" low, with high low, and two and four wheel drive. A few leaks. Put the winch back on before I shipped it. Need to get the turn signals and horn working, everything else works fine, even the black-out lights. 24 Volts really lights things up out front. Have to blip a double clutch to down shift back to second, which is the usual starting gear. Need to tighten up the steering a bit. The army rated these as capable of climbing a 68 degree slope, if sufficient traction. All of 80 ponies, and weighs right at 6,000 pounds. Needless to say, a real hoot to make a Pizza run in. Tops out at about 40 mph. Waterproof everything, so can ford nearly five feet of water, then if you put on the fording kit, up to the driver's eyeballs.

I am doing pretty well on my shots, and am getting a new knee in a few days, so had it then taken down to Columbia, where my son will keep and drive it for the several months until I can climb up and work the pedals. Shifter falls "readily to hand", as I can touch the shift **** with my pinkie with my hand on the wheel. The throw is about 2 feet, however. Pretty much just needs fresh paint.

After a Cobra and two Porsche's, I could not get another sports car, as that would be "going down", so went as far away from high performance as I could. one of these days, will put a 30 or 50 cal in the truck bed. Flat head six cylinder, many of the lines in the engine compartment are all the tubes and hoses venting everything to make it sealed from water.

a few pictures. And I wish all of you all the best. I will be around from time to time.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:38 PM
YnotGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nam Vet glad you're doing well and wishing you a speedy recovery on the knee
That will make a Killer tow vehicle for the Lotus
Old 10-25-2016, 01:21 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

what are all those fan belts for?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:06 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jenn, my truck is actually an M42, the Command Version of the M 37 trucks, first fielded in '51, and replaced by the M 59 and later the M113 and M114 tracked armored personnel carriers in the late '50's. When I was posted to Germany in late '69 as a newly minted 2nd Lt, as a platoon leader and later Company Commander, we had the M113 tracked personnel carriers. When we would have an alert, and have to run out to our pre-planned defensive postions along the East German border (which of course were all precisely registered for Russian Artillery!!), my job was to climb on top and mount the 50 cal guns, and set the timing and headspace. I still have my two little gages to do this.

Anyway, about ten percent of the M37/M42 trucks were winch equipped, and a smaller number designated Command Versions, and hence the truck bed was filled with assorted radio's. While the troop versions were equipped with 25 amp generators, in order to support the electrical demand of the communication equipment, the Command versions like mine ran a 100 amp generator, thus the four fan belts. All of them are 24 volt trucks. 16 ply tires, about two feet of ground clearance. Incredibly capable off-road vehicles. They were the first military truck actually designed from the ground up to be a tactical vehicle. All previous trucks were actually modified versions of civilian trucks. Since the army was so pleased with the Dodge versions used in WWII, they chose Dodge to make the 110,000 M37/M42 trucks. Virtually every part, no matter how small, is still available, for far less cost than anything on a Porsche.

Ever since I was in college, I have wanted a WWII six wheeled M3 armored car, but they are really expensive now. My M42 is just what I need for a lifetime of things to do to a vehicle.

Here is the business end of my truck....

Old 10-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Dirtmerchant
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NAM VET,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you are doing well.

The M42 looks like it will be a cool project. Personally speaking, I like the patina and would likely just clean it up and leave it as is, maybe clear coat it... Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Last edited by Dirtmerchant; 10-25-2016 at 09:14 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

It is great to hear from you, NAM VET. Happy that your GT3 found a good home and that you are still active playing with wheeled vehicles. That M42 is a beast!

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery as well. Please don't be a stranger, many of us enjoy your thoughtful and interesting posts.

Quick Reply: one fifth the HP, twice the weight