Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Secondary negative lead on 7.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Secondary negative lead on 7.2 GT3

Searched all of the usual places without success... does anyone know what the secondary negative lead on a 997.2 GT3 battery cable is for? The one attached via an M6 threaded nut in the following image (stolen from Sharkwerks):

Further, is it safe to remove this lead before disconnecting the main ground? What about the other way around, can I disconnect the ground before the secondary lead (from the chassis end, obviously)?

In case anyone's wondering why I'm asking, I'm installing a Odyssey 925 battery using the Rennline holder, and it has been an unbelievable PITA. I'm 95% of the way working through all of the issues, but the last part is that I can't use the stock battery cable with the dual terminals -- it's too short. I can easily get a longer chassis lead, but then I'm forced to move the secondary negative lead to the negative terminal of the battery, which would mean that it would get disconnected before, and reconnected after, the chassis lead. (I can also disconnect the positive lead first, but I'd rather not swing a ratchet next to the bare metal bracket, which happens to be grounded as well.) I'll post a separate thread about the stupid Rennline bracket once I get it all working.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Bumping this. (I guess in some respects I'm glad my question wasn't so simple that it was answered immediately!) If no one knows, I'll try the dealer...
Old 10-07-2016, 03:41 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

it shouldn't matter what that's attached to since the whole car a negative ground, i would just remove the entire neg terminal, like you've done

Quick Reply: Secondary negative lead on 7.2 GT3