Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Best looking seats I've ever seen (997.2 GT3) - What material?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 05:55 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best looking seats I've ever seen (997.2 GT3) - What material?

These are the best looking seats I've ever seen! They look neither like leather nor like Alcantara (both much brighter)

Can someone help me out?

http://cas01.autoscout24.ch/porsche-.../3958815/5.jpg

Here is a comparison to regular leather / Alcantara seats and they are nowhere near as great as the former ones!

http://cas01.autoscout24.ch/porsche-.../3944528/9.jpg

thanks!

edit:

another question: There seems to be another type of seats, how do they differ to no1 and which do you prefer?
http://cas01.autoscout24.ch/porsche-.../3296258/9.jpg
Old 07-28-2016, 06:25 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Both seats are Nomex material. Nomex has a higher resistance to heat and flame than Alcantara or Leather.

The first seats are GT2 Buckets, that have the ability to fold forward to allow you to access the area behind the seats easily. The 2nd seats are the CGT seats, and were an option with the ROW 997 GT3 Clubsport Package. They do not fold forward.

Both seats do not have the ability to recline, they are fixed back buckets. The only way to adjust the recline angle would be by adding washers under the front mounts, but I would not recommend doing that.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:47 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

Thank you very much, great reply! Which are, out of all Porsche seats, your top 3 and why?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:02 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Seats are subjective, and Id encourage you to sit in different seats to see what fits you best. The best seat is the one that fits your body best for the type of driving you intend to do.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:13 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

aesthetic, GT2 seats are awesome.
butt feel which a lot of people over look and tight fit, CGT then 996gt3 seats
Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 PM
EUWDIAMOND
Advanced

thanks guys!

Am I mistaken or are all of these seats available in leather, Alcantara and Nomex? I think that Nomex is not only the by far best looking but also most practial one (?)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:17 PM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 66 Posts

Size and body shape are important factors for picking the right seat. I'm on the smallish side of medium, and the GT2 buckets are too wide for me. The Euro GT3 buckets support me much better.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:04 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by EUWDIAMOND
thanks guys!

Am I mistaken or are all of these seats available in leather, Alcantara and Nomex? I think that Nomex is not only the by far best looking but also most practial one (?)
I like nomex (edit: perlon) the best. Sometimes much harder to find.

Last edited by Yargk; 07-29-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:23 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put 700 then 600 miles in two days in the GT2 buckets, not back pain, no leg pain. They just fit me fine. You can't put a big butt in them though. I find them supremely comfortable.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:09 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

996 GT3 (AKA "Euro") seats are the best OEM bucket seat i've ever used. They hold you well, accommodate those with wider shoulders and they seem to have the perfect amount of lumbar support. Really great for track work, long tours and everything in between.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

for me the 996GT3 club or euro seats were great.
CGT seats 2nd best,
GT2 seats are the best (because of the forward fold) for lots of miles and road trips- makes the back seat area a luggage shelf
Old 07-29-2016, 06:59 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's called Perlon
Old 07-29-2016, 11:03 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think having race-like seats in a GT3 without the ability to fold them forward would be a real issue. I just arrived in Nebraska, driving out from SC to run the Sandhills Challenge in about 10 days or so, and since my son is flying out just before the race, I had to bring our helmets and race gear, suits, spares, video system, plus my own clothes and such for several weeks out here, not to mention the things that go with our car when it is transferred to a Rennlister from Chicago. Plus my wife wanted me to bring out a footstool, church clothes, computers, and all sorts of stuff. It fit fine in the car, using of course the passenger seat for the footstool. I could never have gotten much of anything in the rear compartment without being able to fold the seats forward. Plus, we don't have any sort of rear half cage.

Was a great drive out, coming over the eastern Mountains, car opened up, cool air, then AC from Frankfurt the rest of the way out. Then the 200 miles west from St. Joe on the open nearly deserted roads, often with miles of clear view ahead, to the next, distant rise. Took the opportunity to pass two trucks, then stay hard on the throttle, knowing that only a military grade radar could pick me up from the rise several miles ahead. It was, shall we say, a long strong run, before i eased off the throttle. Car used no oil, per usual, on the 1300 mile trip.

I put on the Road Wrap film on the hood and bumper, but if it gets wet, as soon as the rain stops and the sun comes out, i pull it off to avoid any possible paint hazing from trapped moisture. Keeps the bugs and nicks off the front of the car.

With the Sharkwerk's track-no muffler exhaust, I put in my ear buds, and listened to my I phone's music from the '60's and early '70's. Only about ten minutes of hard rain on the trip. Had a Heath Bar and some licorice along the way.

Yesterday went to Fremont, NE, to the gun smith shop of Cylinder and Slide, who have done all my pistols since the late '80's, picked up a repaired custom 1911 in 9mm, dropped off another Browning High Power for combat sights, and then talked with Bill Laughridge about my buying his vintage and perfect Korean war vintage 3/4 ton army truck, has the issue winch on it even. I just love them, and wanted to buy a 6 wheel Greyhound WWII armored car I had seen in a field years ago.

Just some ramblings, life is good, had a great lab report and checkup with my oncologist just before I left Charleston Monday. Was up yesterday to Lincoln, where i went to college in the mid-late '60's, flying out of Duncan aviation on the ROTC programs dime back then. Drove the same roads I traveled in my TR4 and MGB a half century ago. So many memories......
The following users liked this post:
TD_05 (10-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Best looking seats I've ever seen (997.2 GT3) - What material?