997 GT3 Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Bluprint
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT3 Rattles

Hi!

I am on journey to get rid of a few of the rattles on my 2007 GT3. I have about 23k miles on the car and i really feel that i should not be experiencing this much noise. I previously had a 996 GT3 that was squeak and rattle free, along with a 996 Turbo before that. I have been doing a lot of research and i just cant narrow down some of them. The two that are driving me crazy are the following.

1) ~3000k RPM buzz/rattle that sounds like it is coming from the passenger door. I understand that there can be a vibration from the engine, but this rattle makes a buzzing noise that i find hard to tolerate. It happens from around 2800 RPM to 3000 RPM. I have read a lot of threads, but i have not been able to narrow an actual fix.

What i have done so far
  1. replace door clips
  2. apply some felt along contact areas
  3. replace door pivot and cable

What i believe is left to do
  1. Check muffler/exhaust for broken welds
  2. Dynamatt the the door...

2) Rear passenger window squeaks over bumps. i believe it is the rear window squeaking and i have read that adjusting/ tightening the screws will result in a fix. I just can not get to the screws. Unfortunately/Fortunately i have a roll cage back there that makes it difficult, but the hard part appears to be removing the rear cover where the seat belt would have been. Any help on this would be appreciated.

What i have done
Sprayed Silicone lubricant around window

What i believe i need to do
Remove rear panel and tighten screws and lubricate
Possible TSB for window spacer (Are TSBs free?)

Any help or insight on either of these are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts

My 997s had a buzzing rattle noise that was coming from the left side of the car at those RPM,s and was very frustrating at times ,, the noise was not constant and took me a while to narrow down and find the source of the issue,,,as it turns out the previous owner of the car had drop some loose change "COINS "in the car and it had some how made its way under the passenger side seat and was rattling a vibrating around as I drove the car ,,,I managed to suck the coins out with a industrial vac after spending hour with a torch looking for the source of the noise ,,,I haven,t hears the noise again and it was caused by 4 coins ,,,such a simple issue that gave so much frustration ,,,worth a look
Old 06-10-2016, 10:03 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,924 Likes on 1,731 Posts

Do NOT, repeat, DO NOT, dynamat that car.

There was a thread here a few years back where a member purchased a GT3 only to find out that the prevoius owner dynamatted it.

If you're gonna dynamat, may as well dynamite.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:57 PM
abcut973
Pro

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Do NOT, repeat, DO NOT, dynamat that car.

There was a thread here a few years back where a member purchased a GT3 only to find out that the prevoius owner dynamatted it.

If you're gonna dynamat, may as well dynamite.
Lol!
Old 06-11-2016, 01:47 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

The sunroof has many parts with screws that can come loose. Just drive down the road at the resonant RPM and push your fingers at different locations. They are difficult to find by ear because the sound reverberates around the interior. The plastic wind deflector at the front of the sunroof was vibrating (with the sunroof closed) and I fixed it with a few 1" pieces of weatherstrip material. Couldn't find black, so I used a sharpie to make it black.

The driver side door handle vibrated and I fixed it with a small rubber cabinet door bumper.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:25 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

My solution is 100'cell cats and side delete muffler pipes.
My car is rattle free.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:10 AM
Bluprint
Intermediate

Thanks for the advise. I'm not planning to dynamat anything, I have just read that it was a "solution" that others have used.

I do have a Sharkwerks muffler bypass to help with the noise. I was just curious if anyone has removed the rear trim panels and what the best way to approach this would be.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:54 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
My solution is 100'cell cats and side delete muffler pipes. My car is rattle free.
This!

Rattles are part of the experience. Be glad you don't have an RS with solid mounts and shifter cables. Most people think your car has gone wrong which to me is so right. Enjoy you car!
Old 06-11-2016, 09:35 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 997 GT3 Rattles

AWE long tube headers and can mufflers fixes rattles and poor quality stereo issues. Keep wife from chirping at you too 😜
Old 06-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by madmurdock
This!

Rattles are part of the experience. Be glad you don't have an RS with solid mounts and shifter cables. Most people think your car has gone wrong which to me is so right. Enjoy you car!
Car is an RS with lwfw, motor, trans mounts, cup shifter and solid cup shifter cables.

Sounds like a can of marbles at idle. Love it.

Regarding rattles... The rear carpet shelf just pulls up, the other panels are either clipped or have screws.

On the door panel make sure it's not the panel... And is something inside, there aren't a lot of moving parts in there. With a helper I think you can find it.

On the rear side window, have it removed and installed with a new seal.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Simple solution, add Sharkwerks bypass, RS flywheel and Brembo type 3 rotors. You will then post on whether the above mods should be that noisy.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:38 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Car is an RS with lwfw, motor, trans mounts, cup shifter and solid cup shifter cables. Sounds like a can of marbles at idle. Love it. Regarding rattles... The rear carpet shelf just pulls up, the other panels are either clipped or have screws. On the door panel make sure it's not the panel... And is something inside, there aren't a lot of moving parts in there. With a helper I think you can find it. On the rear side window, have it removed and installed with a new seal.

Hey Spyrex, I know yours is an RS. Was referring to the original poster .
Old 06-12-2016, 12:49 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ive read that GT3s with non - leather dash/door panels (mine) sometime develop rattles, squeaks;
a guy I talked to yesterday with a race prepped 996 told me he heard of of guys taking off those panels and applying felt tape which he heard worked.
So far Ive been lucky I guess- no rattles, etc.
Good luck.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:17 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think mine makes the same noises as the OP.

1) Mine comes and goes. It can be stopped with a little pressure on the passenger arm rest or the door release lever. I've not tried to fix mine.

2) The rear squeak in mine if from the carpet rubbing on the roll bar. I just wrapped a small piece of fabric (black t shirt) around the bar. Noise is gone.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Rattles