Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:23 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Same thing has happened over on the 993 boards. All threads involve price, new owners asking questions that have been beat to death (my horn honks when I hit the brakes) or worship at the alter of Rudy (no offense to him- incredible collection and passion). I think all subforums have a great run in the three or four years following the release of the car as people discuss their allocations, mods, hacks, etc. Then a new version of said comes out and all the threads start to center around about whether you should keep or upgrade. Finally everyone decides the new version isn't as good as the old version, the prices go up and everyone shows up and wants to know the latest buy or sell prices.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:51 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Same thing has happened over on the 993 boards. All threads involve price, new owners asking questions that have been beat to death (my horn honks when I hit the brakes) or worship at the alter of Rudy (no offense to him- incredible collection and passion). I think all subforums have a great run in the three or four years following the release of the car as people discuss their allocations, mods, hacks, etc. Then a new version of said comes out and all the threads start to center around about whether you should keep or upgrade. Finally everyone decides the new version isn't as good as the old version, the prices go up and everyone shows up and wants to know the latest buy or sell prices.
You've summerized the fora trends well. I would also add that with the advent of the 991 and 981 cars, a lot of discussion has been placed on paint to sample colours. The rhetoric is moving from driving towards 'painting' the car, and naturally onwards to resale values. It's easy to see the hyping up of PTS for future resales with posts written in rainbow colours that span a few paragraphs too many - falsely articulating a sense of 'expertise' while simultaneously implying the knowledge, while attainable, needs a special network. Some people have too much time on their hands. Some use that time to drive these cars and others to write about their colours and their histories.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:39 PM
Bleek
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These pricing threads are fun. Nice to look back on years later and see what people were thinking. Just read a bunch from 2013 where people were asking if $130K was too much for an untracked 7.2 RS or how prices were gonna plummet on the 4.0 once the new 991 GT3 and RS came out. Others were spot on to where the market is now.

Point is, none of us can predict obviously, but history always finds ways to make fools or geniuses out of us all. Most of us take credit for the wins but not the losses, lol.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:52 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

^^^^^^^
Spot on!
Old 05-21-2016, 04:04 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

i dunno, 964 forum is pretty active w/o a whole bunch of pricing threads... must go in cycles.

Going out to drive my 964 now to run some errands. 997RS sits in the garage filthy after 6 track days, needs a little love. Will get her cleaned up tomorrow and put my street wheels on for the summer. No more RS track days till it cools down a bit. Might get the 964 out a couple times, do some AX...

Quick Reply: Pricing