997 GT3 gen 1 fire extinguiher

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:01 PM
bhaupt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT3 gen 1 fire extinguiher

Hello all,
I would like some opinions or ideas, my 07 GT3 factory equipped fire extinguisher? Should I get it recharged and if so by who and how much? buy a new one from the dealer? Or install an aftermarket bracket with a Halguard or similar popular fire extinguisher?
Thanks, Bill
Old 04-20-2016, 10:15 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Keep it for cars and coffee and concourse. Otherwise get a bigger one
Old 04-21-2016, 05:16 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

If you've never had it inspected take it to your local fire station and they'll do that for you in a few minutes. If tracking upgrade to at least a 2.5 lb tank.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not familiar with GT3 F/E but if it is a Euro supplied unit. I doubt it could be recharged by any U.S. F/E service dealer due to lack of parts (valve stems/seals/proper agent etc). U.S. F/E are UL listed and recharging requires some sort of tag/I.D. New U.S. F/E has mfg. date on label. Best to purchase a U.S. unit ( x-Halon) Halguard that can be serviced. F.D. can only look at the gauge/indicator, to see if F/E is still holding a charge. Unused dry Chem units should be "shaken up" every now and then to keep powder from settling at bottom of container……… and yeah, I used to be in the fire equip. business but more in the "water supply" dept.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 PM
bhaupt
2nd Gear

Thanks for the reply's, I had a local fire and safety company that recharges all kinds of fire equipment and he said he could not charge it and didn't know any one that could? Hence my post, it definitely needs to be charged or replace based on the needle in the gauge plus its 8 years old. I guess its looking like an aftermarket bracket and fire extinguisher? again any other suggestions besides get a 2.5 lb?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:44 PM
Ppy5
Track Day

Hi Bhaput,

If you end up going aftermarket I'd be interested to pick up your old extinguisher if you'd be willing to sell it so keep me in mind please.

Thanks

Originally Posted by bhaupt
Thanks for the reply's, I had a local fire and safety company that recharges all kinds of fire equipment and he said he could not charge it and didn't know any one that could? Hence my post, it definitely needs to be charged or replace based on the needle in the gauge plus its 8 years old. I guess its looking like an aftermarket bracket and fire extinguisher? again any other suggestions besides get a 2.5 lb?
Old 04-25-2016, 12:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

I've heard factory fire extinguisher is corrosive. Can anyone confirm?

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 gen 1 fire extinguiher