Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Brake Help - OEM vs. Brembo 380 x 34

Old 03-29-2016, 11:14 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake Help - OEM vs. Brembo 380 x 34

Need some good advice

I'm driving a 997.2 GT3 steel brakes, fronts are lasting about 7 to 10 track days (COTA mostly, some MSR Houston and TWS) before cracks are over 10 mm. Using OEM front pads (and pagid yellow rears).

I wonder if Brembo's slotted will last longer. There are two versions, a regular one and an extreme duty (here's the link to suncoast) https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...2GT3997FR.html

Any advise on what to get. I drive on the streets, not too much (50 boring miles to the office once a week) and a monthly drive with friends along country roads - far from the limit. Try to keep one DE event a month too.

I'd really appreciate your advice. Not too worried about noise, but good to have some bite when brakes are not driven at the track already at good working temperature...

I don't do the brake job myself, and have been using the dealer to install Suncoast parts, convenient and not too expensive.

Thanks !!!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:16 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Additional info: typically doing at COTA 2:31 to 2:33's on MPSC2 on 50's to 60's (depending on tire condition and track conditions).

Also, I don't really push the braking zones as much as I could to give it a better life (most of the times )

Last edited by AGO; 03-29-2016 at 11:42 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 03-29-2016, 11:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

the 2 different discs are different air gaps, the HD one has a thinner air gap so more material on the faces, they are a heavier duty rotor. Also, you can get a type 5 which should last even longer.
Pad choice and cooling also play into this.

I run the Type 3 (just trying Type 5 now) and I get 20+ track days out of a set of rings using Race Technologies RE10 pads which are endurance pads.

You definitely need a better pad at those speeds. COTA is hard on brakes, but I will bet the RE10 pads + the Brembo rotors last much longer than stock parts.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:54 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Brembo type 3
They last
I think they are worth the $
Old 03-30-2016, 05:15 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P.J.S.
I use Brembo type 3
They last
I think they are worth the $
Thanks for the tip, is yours the Heavy Duty version? What's the pad you're using? Any experience with Pagids 19 or 29?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:16 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
the 2 different discs are different air gaps, the HD one has a thinner air gap so more material on the faces, they are a heavier duty rotor. Also, you can get a type 5 which should last even longer.
Pad choice and cooling also play into this.

I run the Type 3 (just trying Type 5 now) and I get 20+ track days out of a set of rings using Race Technologies RE10 pads which are endurance pads.

You definitely need a better pad at those speeds. COTA is hard on brakes, but I will bet the RE10 pads + the Brembo rotors last much longer than stock parts.
Good feedback. Was your Type 3 HD? Always run RE10?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:48 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

I've run HD and non HD, they seem to last about the same for me. I ran PFC08 and they were WAY harder on the rotors. I really like the RE10 pads. I just put them on my 964 for track duty.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:40 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have used Brembo (OE, Racing Type 3 - Sprint, Racing Type 5 - Endurance) and Race Technologies products in professional and club racing for a few years now ourselves and have a good idea of the range.

The Type 3 has an aggressive slot type which results in good bite and smooth release.
The Type 5 offers a a tad less bite due to the less aggressive slot type which affects heat distribution across the face of the disc and offers maximum disc / pad life. This is one we prefer based on testing but you have to request it specifically by PN. (which we know)

For the Porsche 997/991/981 GT4 Brembo 380 x 34 Front Discs:

Brembo Type 3 "Sprint" Lightweight - This is the standard disc with the wide airgap. If you want maximum weight savings and overall performance, stay with this one.
Brembo Type 3 "Sprint" Heavy Duty - This is the heavier "HD" version of the standard disc with a narrower airgap.
Brembo Type 5 "Endurance" - This is the longest lasting disc in the Brembo Racing lineup. It only comes as in a heavy version with narrow air gap.

PM us also for special pricing because we have extensively used all the Brembo and Race Technologies products and only use them in the professional racing we are involved in. The reason is the longevity, availability and range for the Porsche cars is unmatched.

The 991 RSR has Brembo Type 5 heavy endurance discs on it as standard.

Last edited by KA MOTORSPORT; 03-30-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

In my discussions with RT, the Type5 at a "club" or "DE" level (i.e. ME) the bit and release differences with Type5 may not even be felt, but the longevity should be seen! :-)

Good descriptions, this is exactly as I understand it. The type 5 are going on my car this weekend. (in the front)
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spyerx
In my discussions with RT, the Type5 at a "club" or "DE" level (i.e. ME) the bit and release differences with Type5 may not even be felt, but the longevity should be seen! :-)

Good descriptions, this is exactly as I understand it. The type 5 are going on my car this weekend. (in the front)
Only some drivers can really feel the difference, which is why for us, the Type 5 is always the way to go (cost/performance ratio). We definitely get more life out of the 5s.

The question is not really whether the environment is "race" or "de", it's whether the driver is attune to the differences. Some DE guys have felt the difference while some pros have not and vice versa.

If the driver complains about modulation or release, we may test the Type 3 in the front, and do wear calcs to see the differences in pad / disc life to see if it's worth it or not to change.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:04 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. If modulation may be an issue, I rather start with type 3 most likely. I was thinking also in keeping the GT3 OEM pads to minimize changes (I think is the old 90 compound on Pagid, but not 100% sure) to avoid changing too many variables at once.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:24 PM
991P
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Type III
Old 03-30-2016, 09:44 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

We almost exclusively use Type-III with RT's endurance pads on every single one of our shop's or customers' cars. Great rotors, excellent performance. We also use Brembo's brake fluid.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:52 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KA MOTORSPORT
Only some drivers can really feel the difference, which is why for us, the Type 5 is always the way to go (cost/performance ratio). We definitely get more life out of the 5s.

The question is not really whether the environment is "race" or "de", it's whether the driver is attune to the differences. Some DE guys have felt the difference while some pros have not and vice versa.
Yes that's what I meant, many drivers won't feel it. i'll see if I notice a difference. My guess is probably not.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:31 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
Thanks for the tip, is yours the Heavy Duty version? What's the pad you're using? Any experience with Pagids 19 or 29?
Until this thread I was not aware there were sprint and hd options so I presume I have the type 3 regular duty

I have run them with pfc and RS 29

I primarily run at Oregon Raceway which is not particularly hard on brakes...

I get 20+ days on the rings easy

I am on my 3rd set

I will buy more but perhaps take a look at the hd version... But given my experience with the regular type 3s i have zero complaints

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Help - OEM vs. Brembo 380 x 34