Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

can ecu replacement hide overrevs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts
Default can ecu replacement hide overrevs?

Can ecu replacement hide overrevs?
Old 03-03-2016, 06:38 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Yes but it's obvious when it's been done if you pull a DME readout. Hours don't match up, among other things. It's very rare.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On other marques when a ECU is replaced they divorce the old one and marry the new one and in that process the iamge and all detail i.e hrs, mileage etc is retained.

Some of this information is also shared in other control modules like the dash or central / body control modules etc.

In this instance the only way to get a totally clean car is to replace all the control modules in the loop and manually input mileage but it shows i the system as an new ecu to flag this.

Note I am not sure if this is the case with Porsche.

Sound dodge to ask as this would hide vital information on the car to prospective buyers.
The following users liked this post:
ajondyh (11-17-2020)
Old 03-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ur20v

Sound dodge to ask as this would hide vital information on the car to prospective buyers.
I would be the prospective buyer. I looked at a car that had it listed on the CARFAX that the ECU was replaced and I was curious.

So, if the hours match up, then the overrevs would have been transferred to the new ECU, if there were any?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would want to know why the ECU was replaced- they do go wrong but it should be detailed in the service history.

As for a definitive answer on the transfer of over rev's should come from Porsche to be of true value.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:33 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
I would be the prospective buyer. I looked at a car that had it listed on the CARFAX that the ECU was replaced and I was curious.

So, if the hours match up, then the overrevs would have been transferred to the new ECU, if there were any?
Carfax is not always an accurate indicator of what was actually done on a car. It may have been an ecu tune which does not affect the history at all.

If you can send me the screenshot of the durametric readout showing the total hours, overrevs, vin, etc etc, I can tell you if it's been replaced/wiped or not.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:48 AM
porches
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we replace DMEs we use the tester to read the data off of the old one and then again to write data on the new one so all of that information will transfer over.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:29 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,127 Posts

I had my DME replaced. The dealer married the DME to the car with PIWIS but everything on the car was at 0. They said that the mileage and over revs could not be transferred.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies. Strangely the ad said no overrevs, but I got a screenshot of the DME, which although was cutoff so I couldn't see total hours, it did have some type 1 and a couple type 2 overrevs. Will have to think about it...
Old 03-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

It is not unheard of to swap an ECU for track use then put stock in for street driving...people did it for warranty
Old 03-05-2016, 08:55 PM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

You can delete this without changing the ECU
Old 03-06-2016, 04:29 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by juanpablo046
You can delete this without changing the ECU
Wouldn't your states local BAR have something aginst this- swapping ecu's out to to record potential over rev's amongst other parameter's? If Porsche was smart about this... If they were smart about it Porsche will have kept su h parameters seperate from the ECU simply just keep if in some form oc flash memory off of the ECU just fof such cases. So people would not be able to cheat the ecu of saving and keeping data.

But then I could be completely wrong about the whole situation. As "They Say, Only one way to find out... Or if you are lucky fine someone who is an expert in these matters.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by The New 911
Wouldn't your states local BAR have something aginst this- swapping ecu's out to to record potential over rev's amongst other parameter's? If Porsche was smart about this... If they were smart about it Porsche will have kept su h parameters seperate from the ECU simply just keep if in some form oc flash memory off of the ECU just fof such cases. So people would not be able to cheat the ecu of saving and keeping data.

But then I could be completely wrong about the whole situation. As "They Say, Only one way to find out... Or if you are lucky fine someone who is an expert in these matters.
It's completely dis-honest, but was not uncommon...to have an ECU for the track. Some dealers helped people procure them

There are quite a few cars I know of that had two ECUs

I was told that you could erase over revs by s few people, not sure if possible or not

That being said these engines are pretty robust, I've seen a cup over rev to 10 k and be ok
Old 03-06-2016, 06:28 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

you get overrevs when you take it to redline, so if you find a car without any 1st level overrevs, it's because a) something is fishy, or b) it was never driven to fuel cut.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 96 Posts

It was possible to delete over revs on older ecm software versions. I'm not sure about current ecm's.

I would be very suspicious of a car with 0 ignitions in range 1 and 2.

Quick Reply: can ecu replacement hide overrevs?