front suspension set-up, newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 11:22 AM
tommye
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front suspension set-up, newbie question

Hi all,

Just trying to figure out what's going on with the front suspension on my recently acquired 2011 GT3 RS.
- There is a lot of negative camber all around, between 3 and 4 degrees. I want to get this closer to stock values to improve street driving.
- As can be seen from the attached photos, I can see that there has been some (previous) rubbing in front of the front wheels, it does not seem to rub now though.
- The spring struts have been rotated for more negative camber.
- There are 2mm shims on the lower control arms.
- I am puzzled about the bushings in the lca:s for the thrust arms (caster control arms). Are these original or aftermarket ?
- Is it possible to get around 2 degrees of negative camber without rotating the spring struts back to stock position? i.e. by only putting 1mm shims back and adjusting the position of the top of the spring struts.
- If yes, will the caster be more or less stock keeping the thrust arms mounted in the off-centre holes of the lca bushings like they are now?
- Do I risk rubbing if the centre hole should be used ?
- What tools should I use to adjust ride height ? I don't know how to refer to different sizes for this kind of wrenches.....

Thankful for any help !!

Tommy

Name:  20160220_152102.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  20160220_152138.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  20160220_152208.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  142.4 KB

Name:  20160220_152352.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  95.4 KB
Old 02-20-2016, 12:02 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,084 Posts

If the studs in the top hats have been rotated, you'll have to try pulling the shims from the bottom and adjust at the top. You can see how much is dialed in now, but I think you can get closer to stock.

The lower control arm pucks are not stock. Those look like cup/RSR parts (factory race car). The stock pucks are rubber and have 2 holes in them. You can use these but will probably have to adjust them once you get the camber and toe right. These are better parts, more adjustability.

There are a lot of variables when setting up a new car geo... would recommend getting it to a shop that knows these cars well to get it all sorted. Who knows what the previous owner did to it.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:05 AM
tommye
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All right - thanks for that !
Non-stock pucks !

So what I really want to know now is if I can get 2 or 2,25 degrees negative camber without rotating the spring struts back to stock position.
And which hole is the pucks to use to get 8 degrees caster.
Any other opinions ?

Cheers,
Tommy

Quick Reply: front suspension set-up, newbie question