Storage Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:53 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Storage Questions

Hello,

Always wanted to post this question. I store my .2 GT3 for 6 months during the winter. I wanted to know if any people on here FOG their engines for storage?

We own a tons of engines and usually FOG the engines. I have never heard anyone Fogging their Mezger.
If so, What is the best way to do it.

Thanks in advance..
Old 11-22-2015, 04:23 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the necessity or advisability of "fogging" your cylinders depends a lot on where the car will sit for six months. Coastal areas, or where there is a lot of humidity, or changes in temperatures leading to more condensation? I guess it wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs, and put in a little fogging oil. Might throw a code at startup, though. On my mowers and yard vac and such, when I put them away for a season, i spray some down into the intake at shut down, plus some gas stabilizer in the tank. But I am not sure that would be a good idea on a MAF car, though.

Pulling the plugs, while not a day long affair, is still a bit of work, even with the right tools.

Just some thoughts here,

all the best....

NV
Old 11-22-2015, 07:19 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 193 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. 6 months is not all that much time. When you are ready to start it again pull the fuel pump fuse and crank a few times until you see the oil pressure gauge move. Then put the fuse back in and crank again. Car will start and you'll be all set.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:36 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you pull the fuel pump fuses, be sure to put them back in the right slots, a Porsche Indy put my fuses back in wrong, and it cost me about $7K.

all the best....
Old 11-22-2015, 08:17 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

^^ This

Old 11-22-2015, 10:21 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

These are all good suggestions! All my other engines are done, especially my outboard and race car engine. it keeps the rings from sticking from sitting without compression and movement.

This subject is near and dear to me. The 250SHO motor on my boat makes oil! It somehow is getting ring sweep taking along extra fuel and adding to the crankcase. The manufacturer isn't standing behind this. Effectively making this engine/boat unsalable.. They are saying its from the former owner not maintaining it correctly, and incorrect storage procedures.. Got me thinking about the mezger sitting on a lift, corroding the cylinder walls...Ugh!!

Quick Reply: Storage Questions