Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Great day for a fall drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:03 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Great day for a fall drive

8 days of rain and mist here in Upstate SC, couldn't do anything outside, grass long, leaves heavy, since our GT3 all spotless, just did not want to head out into the muck, and dirty it all up again. Did make up several thousand rounds of 5.56 ammunition in the garage, though. So when another RL'er questioned me about the carbon buckets in my car, decided to drive up north of Charlotte to let him drive my car for himself to see, he has an absolutely gorgeous 996 Turbo, gray, aftermarket wheels, track exhaust, just a stunning car. So after some time just chatting, he climbed into the driver's seat, me in the passenger, and we headed to the race shop that took car of my former Superformance Cobra, up north of Mooresville. Great drive, winding roads, trees, sun light, cool temps, car all opened up, and since he had run 'cycles for decades, a pretty skilled driver, i had no fears for my car when we hurtled thru curves and short straights. I know a back road to the race shop, so directed him that way, and we pulled up to Olthoff Racing.

I have not been back in several years, but the technicians and fabricators are all old friends from the past decade, and we looked over the GT40's and Daytona's,& other vintage race cars, including a '70 open Lola, and of course a variety of Cobra's. It was once my second home. After just a great reunion, he again drove back, we stopped for some great Lexington style BBQ, and once again, since he new the back roads, we fairly flew. I enjoyed being a passenger, looking at the abandoned old homes here and there in the woods, the forests, seeing thru the trees, now that the leaves are falling, back into the age old NC woods, almost expecting to see Confederate Soldiers, JEB Stuart's cavalry boys, peering back thru the foliage at me.

Back to his home, way out in the woods, some time for chat, then I ran the hour home, thru the small Southern towns, picked up some strawberry's and black berries at a fruit stand, and when I got home, my wife was itching to try out her new bow, so we grabbed our two new compound bows, and ran over to a nearby outdoor range, and began to learn how to shot these things. My wife put two arrows back into the woods, maybe we will find them some other day. Then dropped by our favorite Pizza "joint", for one of their best, with a fine craft beer, and now home. Car ran great, and I continue to be amazed at the extraordinary roadworthyness of these machines.

A great day here in Upstate SC, so wishing as always, all the best....

NV
Old 11-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you had a good time..

Quick Reply: Great day for a fall drive