Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need to weld left side muffler .2 GT3. Center box out or?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:09 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need to weld left side muffler .2 GT3. Center box out or?

As I haven't taken the rear apart before; what would you suggest?
Center box out to get to side muffler and loosen/remove that to get to weld or rear bumper / heat shield off to have free access to weld?

Huge difference in time/difficulty? Work will be done with the car on a lift
Old 11-02-2015, 12:07 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've taken my exhaust so many times now that instinctively it's easier to just take everything apart to get to the side muffler, so you can then get it out of the car and weld safely.

to get to the point where everything is exposed with all heat shields off should take something like 30 minutes, then take off center muffler is another 15min, then one side muffler is like 5-10min after that. one huge tip is to pb blaster all the bolts especially the 4 on each side for the stock center muffler. if it has been a while since it's been taken off then apply it before taking off, saves you a lot of time. then go ahead and put thread grease on after.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:35 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r6elmo
I've taken my exhaust so many times now that instinctively it's easier to just take everything apart to get to the side muffler, so you can then get it out of the car and weld safely.

to get to the point where everything is exposed with all heat shields off should take something like 30 minutes, then take off center muffler is another 15min, then one side muffler is like 5-10min after that. one huge tip is to pb blaster all the bolts especially the 4 on each side for the stock center muffler. if it has been a while since it's been taken off then apply it before taking off, saves you a lot of time. then go ahead and put thread grease on after.
Great info, thanks. I caught myself looking suspiciously at those exact bolts the other day..
I'll give it a go one of the coming weekends, but first time will probably be a bit more than an hours work to find nuts and bolts an wiggle everything off..
Old 11-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Yeah, I agree, it's really fast to pull the bumper and heat shields off, like 30 mins at most. The center muffler can be pulled by loosening the 5 bolts on both sides plus the straps, then loosen the cat connection to the side muffler, a couple bolts holding the muffler and then it's off.

Quick Reply: Need to weld left side muffler .2 GT3. Center box out or?