Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Starting the search for a GT3RS.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015 | 05:56 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sleepy996
Getting US car into CN is easy. Getting a US car already in CN back into the US somewhat easy. Getting a CN car into US is not easy and expensive. Just my 2cents.
Completely disagree with you there. I have brought 3 cars over from Canada to the US, California to be exact and it was simple process. 2 BMWs and 1 MB.

Only RS I have seen for sale around my area is $240K CAD.
Old 10-27-2015 | 08:34 PM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

My RS is for sale!

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post12619165

It's a US car that was imported in canada. The speedo is still in MPH.

Clean DME too.

Worth a look
Old 10-27-2015 | 08:44 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

^ Your car is beautiful! If I had the finances available then I would have gotten it off your hands

Good luck with the sale! OP should def take a look.
Old 10-27-2015 | 08:49 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
ahhaa, i could have told u that on the lift thing.
cam bolt doesn't ALWAYS fail
and they MAY STILL fail AFTER replacement, guess how i know!

RS are getting really hard to find now. not mnay under 200k
I am aware it's not always, but something worth being aware of and taking some precautions

Hopefully you didn't blow an engine...
Old 10-27-2015 | 11:55 PM
///BLACKLABEL
Rennlist Member

PM me. My ex RS is available...5k Miles, gray, buckets, no track or revs.
Old 10-28-2015 | 10:21 AM
Sleepy996
Pro

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Completely disagree with you there. I have brought 3 cars over from Canada to the US, California to be exact and it was simple process. 2 BMWs and 1 MB.

Only RS I have seen for sale around my area is $240K CAD.
Cool story but if you do jump through hoops getting a CN car imported into the US good luck getting top dollar for it when you go to resell it. It will be just another story car and will not bring market value.
Old 10-28-2015 | 10:27 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4SGRPDK
My RS is for sale!

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post12619165

It's a US car that was imported in canada. The speedo is still in MPH.

Clean DME too.

Worth a look
If a US car is imported into Canada do you have to pay the 2.5% import duty when you bring it back? Was the car imported by an individual or a dealer?
Old 10-28-2015 | 11:58 AM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

I think you still have to pay 2.5%.

I think the car was imported by an individual but maybe with the help of his dealer. Not sure it makes a difference how the car was imported in canada.
Old 10-28-2015 | 12:14 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

This is why I'm focusing on the Lower 48. I don't have the head to deal with the possibility of an issue, minor or major. Ive imported cars from Europe and it was very straightforward but at a cost.
Old 10-28-2015 | 03:28 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sleepy996
Cool story but if you do jump through hoops getting a CN car imported into the US good luck getting top dollar for it when you go to resell it. It will be just another story car and will not bring market value.
Hoops??? You fill out 3-4 pages of paper work, and make sure the office is open when you cross the border.

If you are getting good savings on the car upfront then its all relative when you sell it. And if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time, putting miles on it and actually enjoying it, then its a moot point.
Old 10-28-2015 | 03:50 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

You may also have to receive a letter of US Compliancy from the manufacturer after the title's been transferred. At least you had to do this for a Canadian car. Not sure about a car that's coming back to the states. This requires the actual title being sent to Porsche (in this case) and then returned to you.

There's no doubt that when talking to US prospective buyers they seem to shy away from Canadian cars. Not sure why other than the dials.
Old 10-28-2015 | 05:07 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
You may also have to receive a letter of US Compliancy from the manufacturer after the title's been transferred. At least you had to do this for a Canadian car. Not sure about a car that's coming back to the states. This requires the actual title being sent to Porsche (in this case) and then returned to you.

There's no doubt that when talking to US prospective buyers they seem to shy away from Canadian cars. Not sure why other than the dials.
I think it's that the selection is usually much greater in the US to begin with. Take that along with the possibility of a hang up on importation and the savings are negated. The warranty issue has been raised in other subsections here over the years too. Not sure how PCNA deals with this when it happens.
Old 10-28-2015 | 05:19 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I think it's that the selection is usually much greater in the US to begin with. Take that along with the possibility of a hang up on importation and the savings are negated. The warranty issue has been raised in other subsections here over the years too. Not sure how PCNA deals with this when it happens.
When I was going through the process I contacted both PCNA and my local dealer regarding the warranty on the CPO'ed car I was considering. Both said it would be covered. The CPO would only be valid however if the deal was between individuals or an authorized Porsche dealer and not if it passed through an independent dealer.
Old 11-02-2015 | 04:34 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

I personally would pass on any car with range 4 or 5 over revs no matter how many hours since it occurred. I would infer that a money shift or three has occurred, and only because of the beautiful design of the engine, it stayed together - but who knows what stresses went on during those brief periods. My opinion is that a car with higher mileage but zero (or only range 1 or 2) over revs is a better engine and car than a 5K mileage car with high range over revs. Race cars get the crap beat out of them, no way around it, as racing is far more brutal than it looks on TV or from the stands.
Old 11-03-2015 | 05:06 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
I personally would pass on any car with range 4 or 5 over revs no matter how many hours since it occurred. I would infer that a money shift or three has occurred, and only because of the beautiful design of the engine, it stayed together - but who knows what stresses went on during those brief periods. My opinion is that a car with higher mileage but zero (or only range 1 or 2) over revs is a better engine and car than a 5K mileage car with high range over revs. Race cars get the crap beat out of them, no way around it, as racing is far more brutal than it looks on TV or from the stands.
Agreed! I'm no fan of high range over revs either... My old car has now over 44-46k miles with lots of track days by multiple owners over the years and she runs as strong as ever. No over revs above Range 1 I believe (not a 100% sure as it's been a few years since I sold her ).

Quick Reply: Starting the search for a GT3RS.