SC + TC on 7.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
Old thread but seems appropriate to ask here:
Test drove an RS .2, acts like TC-SC is activating when not necessary. Spirited driving on canyon roads, quit often, turning in left or right feels like the brakes are slightly tapping on and tail will wiggle, sometimes front will wiggle too. Driving is nowhere near the limit. Finally it crossed my mind to turn the TC-SC off and it went away.
Also note: front Michelin PSC (original) and rear Bridgestone Protenza, air pressure is equal side to side.

What could be causing this?

Tim
Should not kick in at reasonable street speeds; I've never had SC kick in on the street, TC only occasionally (worn tires, wet, etc.).

If you're contemplating the purchase of a car with old AND mismatched tires, insist that the seller fit new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.

Who in the world would mismatch tires on a $200k+ GT3 RS?
Old 07-11-2016, 01:21 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I agree. What I 'feel' is the lugging of the throttle and the flashing light. Reading some old posts it seems the ABD might not flash the light so harder to tell when it is intervening.

Anyway I drive with it off on the track, on on the street
I've rarely felt my TC come on on the street. Recently had the car at a car wash and they decided to armor all my tires and got some on the tread. First drive off the lot the tires spin a bit, but the throttle just goes to 0 and you see a blinking light and bam on your way...no chatter of rear brakes in this case.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Should not kick in at reasonable street speeds; I've never had SC kick in on the street, TC only occasionally (worn tires, wet, etc.).

If you're contemplating the purchase of a car with old AND mismatched tires, insist that the seller fit new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.

+1
Old 07-11-2016, 02:41 PM
andrew2008
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happens on my 2010 GT3 unless I use N-rated tires. I think the
threshold for activating SC is too low. Maybe some cars are more
sensitive since some people see a problem and others don't.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:27 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 290 Posts

Could the wiggle be contributed to the stock diff? Has anyone noticed any wiggle when going to a Guard diff.?
Old 07-12-2016, 02:37 AM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Owner punctured one rear MPSC and believe it or not the receipt of the Bridgestone replacement tires indicate the purchase and mounting was provided by the owners Porsche dealer! Owner didn't want to pay the price for new MPSC's.

Originally Posted by andrew2008
This happens on my 2010 GT3 unless I use N-rated tires. I think the
threshold for activating SC is too low. Maybe some cars are more
sensitive since some people see a problem and others don't.
Is the "threshold" programmable or calibrated by the dealer? If so, is it necessary when changing a brand of tire or a different diameter tire? Why do you think an N-rated tire makes a difference?

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Could the wiggle be contributed to the stock diff? Has anyone noticed any wiggle when going to a Guard diff.?
I don't think so, the issue does not exist with the TC-SC turned off. And when I say "wiggle" it's more like a feeling of the brake tapping on in one corner of the car rather that equal from side to side.

BTW, when the issue occurs there are no dash warning lights. I'm not buying the car, I'm only trying to help the owner diagnose the issue.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:10 AM
andrew2008
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the "threshold" programmable or calibrated by the dealer? If so, is it necessary when changing a brand of tire or a different diameter tire? Why do you think an N-rated tire makes a difference?
As far as I know this is not something that can be programmed or calibrated by the dealer.

With N-rated tires I don't feel the "wiggle" but with non-N-rated tires I do.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Owner punctured one rear MPSC and believe it or not the receipt of the Bridgestone replacement tires indicate the purchase and mounting was provided by the owners Porsche dealer! Owner didn't want to pay the price for new MPSC's.

I don't think so, the issue does not exist with the TC-SC turned off. And when I say "wiggle" it's more like a feeling of the brake tapping on in one corner of the car rather that equal from side to side.

BTW, when the issue occurs there are no dash warning lights. I'm not buying the car, I'm only trying to help the owner diagnose the issue.
Very distressing; arguably the most important part of the car. What bridgestone provides the appropriate rear fitment? It's a 325 section IIRC.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:51 PM
ZMC-ZH
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Old thread but seems appropriate to ask here:
Test drove an RS .2, acts like TC-SC is activating when not necessary. Spirited driving on canyon roads, quit often, turning in left or right feels like the brakes are slightly tapping on and tail will wiggle, sometimes front will wiggle too. Driving is nowhere near the limit. Finally it crossed my mind to turn the TC-SC off and it went away.
Also note: front Michelin PSC (original) and rear Bridgestone Protenza, air pressure is equal side to side.

What could be causing this?

Tim
Got the same experience on my vanilla GT3 on MPSS and proper alignement. There are 4 things to do after starting the car
- Sport mode button
- TC off
- SC off
- Clear warning message on the obc 😃

Since I apply this procedure VERY carefully, I have not experienced it on the RS
Old 07-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

NUTS!

its not AFIAK, in my mind putting the car on the same rubber, N rated or not, should resolve the problem!

change the tires ... its ridiculous that a $150k plus sports car is running on mismatched rubber for the sake of price!

change the rubber to be the same all round, that should cure this; if you think about this, you have different tires F/R which is impacting the relative
slip angles which the TC+SC is detecting and intervening.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:19 AM
charles06
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had this EXACT SAME issue with my 2011 GT3. Tires are Michelin Super Sports. Been driving me nuts for years! And needless to say, it has scared the $hit out of me a few too many times.

Took it to local Orlando dealer...no luck.

Sent it to Champions...no luck. (Awesome guys, btw!)

Took it locally to Rum Bum Racing...no luck. (Also awesome guys!) However, their theory is that the yaw control sensor is out of wack, causing the computer to apply the brakes. They and I sat in their garage going back and forth over possibilities, but at the end of the day, we decided it can't be something mechanical as it completely goes away with the push of a button, meaning electrical. Keep in mind that I had my car at Champions for over a month, checking brakes, hubs, alignment, suspension bits, wheels, etc. Currently waiting for Rum Bum's (outsourced) guy to check it.

For now, I turn off the SC and it's all good.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:39 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 368 Posts

Tires and maybe alignment. As most have said, it's crazy someone skimped on this car. Not a good indicator. Hard to tell if there's a bigger problem with tires exacerbating it.

Quick Reply: SC + TC on 7.2 GT3