Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

"Alcantara is a garbage material for car interiors"

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 05:20 PM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the love it camp. It feels so much better in your hands. I will say leather is definitely more durable. I am pretty OCD on washing my hands before I touch the steering wheel. Additionally I won't get into car if I am dirty (DIY'ing). I go take a shower and get cleaned up before I get back in. If you don't care and just get in/out of the car I can see why people would complain. For me though I think it looks good and adds a more sporty feel to the car. If you daily drive the car leather is definitely a better option from a longevity stand point. The one good thing is you never see cracks in Alcantara.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 98 Posts

I like it for its functionality but certainly doesn't look luxurious to me at all. Mine has held up very well over the past 8 years.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cooler in the summer where leather burns your bum and hands.

Grippier in the corners

Not sticky to sweaty hands

Doesn't show scratch and cracks
Old 10-06-2015, 12:28 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like alcantara in small portions. However the cleaning procedure that was stated in the opening thread is BS. I have cleaned and sometimes had to scrub the alcantara with no ill effects.

I recently installed a black alcantara roof liner in my 78 Turbo project. There were small stains of contact cement that I cleaned off with acetone. Cleaned it perfectly with out any residue.

Entire dash, instrument panels and side panels done in alcantara is way too much for me. But alittle here and there is a great accent.

Quick Reply: "Alcantara is a garbage material for car interiors"