Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Downshifting to 1st?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 03:18 PM
sraz786
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting to 1st?

Spirited driving on the street, I come across several very low speed corners which I usually take in 2nd but powering out of the corner I find myself on the lower end of the rev range and therefore not in the optimal sweet spot of the power band. With the 997.1 GT3 being geared a bit taller, I'm considering downshifting into 1st. I was always taught not to, but was curious what others do as I'd imagine I'm not the only one who has this dilemma. Thoughts?
Old 09-19-2015, 10:53 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is what the gearbox is for.

All the best.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:08 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

if you do it right there is no problem
MANUAL gearbox
YOU are in charge
Old 09-19-2015, 11:41 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

get your entry speed up and carry the revs

But yeah, you can grab 1st or do the R&P.

At Sebring, data has shown that sometimes a downshift is not always faster...
Old 09-19-2015, 11:52 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I double clutch downshift to 1st. It seems easier on the engine and drive train. Do it all the time. This G50 gearbox is awesome.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Aren't synchros on first brass? I'm old fashioned, I never grab first once moving.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to double clutch my '63 MGB because it had a non-synchro first gear. After 50 years of driving I am pretty good at it. I am pretty good at heel and toe too. I prefer to keep my Porsche's engine rpm up. I never "load" a motor at low RPM.

But some gearboxes are a little more bulky than others too. I think if let your synchro's do the work perhaps it is best to stay in the higher gear.

All the best....
Old 09-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sraz786
Spirited driving on the street, I come across several very low speed corners which I usually take in 2nd but powering out of the corner I find myself on the lower end of the rev range and therefore not in the optimal sweet spot of the power band. With the 997.1 GT3 being geared a bit taller, I'm considering downshifting into 1st. I was always taught not to, but was curious what others do as I'd imagine I'm not the only one who has this dilemma. Thoughts?
Grabbing 1st at anything above idle speed is just asking for accelerated transmission wear and tear. 'course it is your transmission and you can treat it like you want.

I seldom downshift into 1st while rolling but when I do downshift it is at a very slow speed and with the engine at idle.

Around town I don't engage in spirited driving. The only time I have to take a corner in 1st gear is when starting the turn from a dead stop.

Out of town, in the twisties I have yet to encounter a turn I can't arrange to take in 2nd gear with enough revs while the engine may not be in its sweetest spot, power band speaking, revs are high enough the engine pulls quite happily. In fact some feathering of the throttle is often necessary to avoid rear tire spin.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:17 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Aren't synchros on first brass? I'm old fashioned, I never grab first once moving.
Yup. I think 1st is also triple synchronized. I may be wrong.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:14 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Grabbing 1st at anything above idle speed is just asking for accelerated transmission wear and tear. 'course it is your transmission and you can treat it like you want.

I seldom downshift into 1st while rolling but when I do downshift it is at a very slow speed and with the engine at idle.

Around town I don't engage in spirited driving. The only time I have to take a corner in 1st gear is when starting the turn from a dead stop.

Out of town, in the twisties I have yet to encounter a turn I can't arrange to take in 2nd gear with enough revs while the engine may not be in its sweetest spot, power band speaking, revs are high enough the engine pulls quite happily. In fact some feathering of the throttle is often necessary to avoid rear tire spin.
+1
Old 09-22-2015, 04:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Name:  2nd.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  56.3 KB

See those teeny weeny itty bitty teeth? for reference it takes about 3 of them to equal the width of your index finger.

The ring is welded on. It is not replaceable. 1st and 2nd gear are both fixed to the mainshaft. One bad downshift can zing those teeth badly enough that you have a pop out issue. A mainshaft is about $2000 plus another $2000 in labor.

So, my question to you is how badly do you want accelerate out of that corner in your street car?

ps. Don't believe the guys who tell you that they can replace that dog for you. This is what happens to the gears that get new dogs welded onto an old gear. The temper of the heat treat is compromised and the gear tears in half under load.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:20 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Never encountered a scenario where I have to use 1st gear other than stop/go or drag race. Got vids of such a scenario? Mike
Old 09-22-2015, 08:18 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

^ love the new avatar, mike.
who is the owner of those panties? lol makes one wonder although bimmers shouldn't provoke such reactions.

to the op - i only use first when taking off and when parking.
i really don't think shifting to 1st is a good idea at anytime that you are rolling at speed.

so, NO.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
get your entry speed up and carry the revs

But yeah, you can grab 1st or do the R&P.

At Sebring, data has shown that sometimes a downshift is not always faster...
Or go 3.9, problem solved!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:53 PM
sraz786
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTgears

See those teeny weeny itty bitty teeth? for reference it takes about 3 of them to equal the width of your index finger.

The ring is welded on. It is not replaceable. 1st and 2nd gear are both fixed to the mainshaft. One bad downshift can zing those teeth badly enough that you have a pop out issue. A mainshaft is about $2000 plus another $2000 in labor.

So, my question to you is how badly do you want accelerate out of that corner in your street car?

ps. Don't believe the guys who tell you that they can replace that dog for you. This is what happens to the gears that get new dogs welded onto an old gear. The temper of the heat treat is compromised and the gear tears in half under load.

Hard to argue with that!! I think I'll stay out of 1st, upgrade the final drive and call it a day, should provide a bit more low end and mitigate my issue. Also of course, need to upgrade the weakest part of the car, the DRIVER!

Quick Reply: Downshifting to 1st?