Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 Turbo to 997.1 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 03:37 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I own both.

I love my turbo as a daily car. It is soft and as quiet as a ***** cat but can dance when you stand on it. All wheel drive and two back seats make it a nice GT. All the creature comforts one would ever need for around town. Such a remarkable 911.
Obviously the turbo is the most practical of all my 911s being the all rounder of the bunch. But with that being said it is not my favorite...

The GT3 is the essenance of what a 911 was and should be. It is one of my favorites.
It is simple and basic in a time of such modern cars. It truely is a classic in a modern package.
The steering feel sets the bar, the brakes are fantastic and the sound is addictive, especially when uncorked.
If you like sitting through the steve mc queen film "le Mans" during the part where he wails through the gears in the 917, then you will like the GT3.... It just begs to be taken to high RPM. It sings.
The Power band is satisfying. The delivery is different from the turbo. It is so much more linear.

I wouldnt daily drive my GT3 like i daily drive my TT. The lack of down low power and sound would be a little more then needed daily like eating chocolate too much...The GT3 is best reserved for odd week days to drive in anger along with sunday drives or a track day here and there if desired.
I also would take it for a roadtrip over the TT because it keeps the entertainment factor higher on longer drives. (High speed Gas station stop and goes are more fun in a GT3 when compared to a TT.)

If you cant have both, you need to figure out what you are going to use it for.
Ask yourself if you are prepaired to live with it daily to truely say you experienced one for better/worse or keep it parked most of the year as a coffee/collector car.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:24 PM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I am new to the GT3 (997.1) community. Had a 03 C4S with Fabspeed exhaust setup headers to intake, and tested a couple 996 and 997 TT.
There is no comparison to the 997.1/2 GT3 vs. TTs or the C4S. I tested a couple 997.2 GT3 also.
Mine has 8800 miles, manual, and completely stock.
It starts when you turn the key. You have to experience it to hear and feel the diff. before you switch from TT to GT3 cars. My friend has a 991 GT3 but I have not been in it.
TT beautiful and luxurious. GT3 not stripped but very diff. experience.
Good Luck.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:30 AM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I own both.

I love my turbo as a daily car. It is soft and as quiet as a ***** cat but can dance when you stand on it. All wheel drive and two back seats make it a nice GT. All the creature comforts one would ever need for around town. Such a remarkable 911.
Obviously the turbo is the most practical of all my 911s being the all rounder of the bunch. But with that being said it is not my favorite...

The GT3 is the essenance of what a 911 was and should be. It is one of my favorites.
It is simple and basic in a time of such modern cars. It truely is a classic in a modern package.
The steering feel sets the bar, the brakes are fantastic and the sound is addictive, especially when uncorked.
If you like sitting through the steve mc queen film "le Mans" during the part where he wails through the gears in the 917, then you will like the GT3.... It just begs to be taken to high RPM. It sings.
The Power band is satisfying. The delivery is different from the turbo. It is so much more linear.

I wouldnt daily drive my GT3 like i daily drive my TT. The lack of down low power and sound would be a little more then needed daily like eating chocolate too much...The GT3 is best reserved for odd week days to drive in anger along with sunday drives or a track day here and there if desired.
I also would take it for a roadtrip over the TT because it keeps the entertainment factor higher on longer drives. (High speed Gas station stop and goes are more fun in a GT3 when compared to a TT.)

If you cant have both, you need to figure out what you are going to use it for.
Ask yourself if you are prepaired to live with it daily to truely say you experienced one for better/worse or keep it parked most of the year as a coffee/collector car.
Wow, great advice here! Thanks so much.

I think ill be going towards GT3 at this point.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:15 PM
hds10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 997.1TT for two years and loved it but always wanted a GT3. Picked up a 7.2RS and its my favorite car, period. You will miss the TQ a bit but if you do not need back seats GT3's are awesome. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo to 997.1 GT3?