Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Exhaust solenoid going?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 07:25 PM
AgentSpeed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust solenoid going?

Noticed when I hit sport, exhaust note not changing as dramatically as I remember it used to. In idle you can hear a slight change but doesn't seem to be much different under throttle. Do these selenoids fail gradually? Is it even the selenoid or could it be something else going on?
Old 08-23-2015, 09:38 PM
KDAWG97M3
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same issue and the hose providing vacuum had come loose. Check snd see if everything is hooked up
Old 08-23-2015, 09:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentSpeed
Noticed when I hit sport, exhaust note not changing as dramatically as I remember it used to. In idle you can hear a slight change but doesn't seem to be much different under throttle. Do these selenoids fail gradually? Is it even the selenoid or could it be something else going on?
Do you have access to a piwis or durametric to check codes? Curious if you have similar soft code that I have
Old 08-24-2015, 01:15 AM
AgentSpeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Do you have access to a piwis or durametric to check codes? Curious if you have similar soft code that I have
Hmm didn't think it would generate a code. I plan on going to my shop tomorrow to troubleshoot. I can have them pull codes too. i just figure it's the selenoid valves because I was told the fail often. Almost hoping it is because they are relatively cheap to replace.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:55 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

just remove the side cans!!!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:08 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

That stupid valve is about $350.

I have had side mufflers for 2 years but when pulling codes the other day there were soft codes (don't trigger check engine light) indicating a malfunction. These hand been there in the past.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:55 AM
AgentSpeed
Instructor

Car going in Thursday for troubleshooting. They know to pull codes. Will report back!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:42 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

There are two things to check, the vacuum solenoid and the exhaust valves. What happens when you just unplug the the valves at the solenoid and run in open mode?

Have you also done the following:
Make sure the solenoid is getting power. Then check if the actuator valves work. Disconnect the hose from each and apply vacuum to see if they open and close. If the actuators work, check if the solenoid works and for vacuum leaks. If not, try running a pipe cleaner down the actuator ports to see if they are plugged. Also check if actuator arms are dirty and are just getting stuck, not fully opening or closing the flap.

It is common for the exhaust valves (actuators) to get stuck or damaged over time requiring replacement (even if they look fine). The valve part number is 997 111 901 90 and the cheapest place I have found it was Sunset Porsche for $131 each.

If its not the valves (actuators), then it could be the vacuum solenoid has become stuck or sticky and is not releasing the vacuum from the exhaust actuators. You can buy the $200 part from the dealer, or get the exact same part without the Porsche stamp for $25 from here:

http://www.hansautoparts.com/0789062...noidValve.aspx

The reason these valves get stuck is because of dirt that gets sucked in every time the solenoid opens up as air gets sucked in to the vacuum exhaust actuators. The suction port is the chrome nipple at the bottom and is unfiltered and open to the engine compartment. In a dirty or dusty driving environment (ie at the track) there's lots of dirt and silt that passes through this port every time the flaps open/close. You could add a small $3 fuel filter on a vacuum hose to this port to filter out all incoming and outgoing air to act as an air filter for the solenoid and exhaust actuators, or add a nipple to the backside of your airfilter airbox and letting it draw clean air from there instead.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:47 PM
AgentSpeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmwtye
There are two things to check, the vacuum solenoid and the exhaust valves. What happens when you just unplug the the valves at the solenoid and run in open mode?

Have you also done the following:
Make sure the solenoid is getting power. Then check if the actuator valves work. Disconnect the hose from each and apply vacuum to see if they open and close. If the actuators work, check if the solenoid works and for vacuum leaks. If not, try running a pipe cleaner down the actuator ports to see if they are plugged. Also check if actuator arms are dirty and are just getting stuck, not fully opening or closing the flap.

It is common for the exhaust valves (actuators) to get stuck or damaged over time requiring replacement (even if they look fine). The valve part number is 997 111 901 90 and the cheapest place I have found it was Sunset Porsche for $131 each.

If its not the valves (actuators), then it could be the vacuum solenoid has become stuck or sticky and is not releasing the vacuum from the exhaust actuators. You can buy the $200 part from the dealer, or get the exact same part without the Porsche stamp for $25 from here:

http://www.hansautoparts.com/0789062...noidValve.aspx

The reason these valves get stuck is because of dirt that gets sucked in every time the solenoid opens up as air gets sucked in to the vacuum exhaust actuators. The suction port is the chrome nipple at the bottom and is unfiltered and open to the engine compartment. In a dirty or dusty driving environment (ie at the track) there's lots of dirt and silt that passes through this port every time the flaps open/close. You could add a small $3 fuel filter on a vacuum hose to this port to filter out all incoming and outgoing air to act as an air filter for the solenoid and exhaust actuators, or add a nipple to the backside of your airfilter airbox and letting it draw clean air from there instead.
Hey Bud-

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain in such detail. This is helpful for everyone!

$200 later, dealer found no problem and that system is working normally. After I picked up the car, everything seemed fine. Got me questioning my sanity but still not ruling out intermittent issue. Your comments around clogging make it more plausible. I like the idea of employing filters.

Hey I see you are local. Are you headed to GGR event at Thunderhill next weekend? If so, looking forward to meeting you.

Erik
Old 08-30-2015, 12:59 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Tye thanks for posting link to the part cross reference. That is one hell of a porsche markup on that sensor
Old 08-30-2015, 02:09 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Tye thanks for posting link to the part cross reference. That is one hell of a porsche markup on that sensor
I have the same intermittent issue. The odd thing is that if I press sport mode immediately after starting car, it works >90% of the time. If I press it once I have been driving for a while, either at idle or under load, it won't open. Of course when I go to dealer for some CPO love, they start it from cold and say it works...
Old 08-30-2015, 02:18 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Exhaust solenoid going?

Mine does the same as above on my 997.2. When it's cold it works fine, but after driving forms few minutes it has mind of its own. Strange. Maybe I'll try replacing using the part numbers Tye listed.

Quick Reply: Exhaust solenoid going?