Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Do All Tracked RS's Have Peppered Rear Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:14 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Do All Tracked RS's Have Peppered Rear Fenders

I've looked at a few RS's lately, almost all of which have had significant track use, and each one seems to have significant 'peppering' above the tape graphic in front of the rear wheels. These are lots of little small stone chips in the paint that can't be buffed out and would require painting to repair. Even with 3M protection up the fender a ways it seems to happen. My non-RS, also tracked to some degree, doesn't have this damage. I'm guessing the wider rear fenders and wider front track contribute. Would you say this is just a common issue that comes with the territory?

So a follow up question would be, if you're looking at a car would you rather see it with the damage, or pick a car where it's already been repaired?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:20 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Common issue. I chose not to repaint mine. I'm covering it up with a magnetic shield that is much thicker than 3m. It's still not 100% coverage but better than the stock sticker.

I think it depends on the buyer whether repainted is more desirable. You can document it but as a buyer I would suspect the seller could be hiding something more.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:42 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 552 Posts

If it's going back out onto the track, you'll have the same issue - but it's really difficult to see - I didn't even know until I looked very closely last week. Next time around running clearbra up to the window would solve the problem. I doubt the NBs have the problem.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

I think cars run on slicks gets it the worst. Hoosiers maybe a little less. I only run NT01's so not sure if that's the reason I have no damage.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:23 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not just from the RS itself, but traffic ahead.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

not bad, I have double layered clear bra that goes way up the hips. but if not, hell yes, those arches stick way wide and the front tires kick up the debris
Old 08-12-2015, 08:54 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

It's nothing until you see DENTS in the fender. Drive harder.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:34 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Not just RS's my NB GT3's have the same issue and this was never tracked:
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

fk I thought I was ****. Drive them.

I hear if you park them in the garage in a bubble they don't get marks on the paint. Anyone verify this is true?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:57 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Snowboarder, that's not the area I'm referring to. That area doesn't concern me as much because it's on the plastic bumper. The area I'm talking about is in front of the rear wheel well and above the graphics stickers. To repair you'd have to paint the rear quarter panel.

Spyrex, do you have any film on your car? I'd bet you do. Just because you drive a car like it's supposed to be driven doesn't mean you don't want to try and maintain it's original luster or keep it in premium resale condition.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Snowboarder, that's not the area I'm referring to. That area doesn't concern me as much because it's on the plastic bumper. The area I'm talking about is in front of the rear wheel well and above the graphics stickers. To repair you'd have to paint the rear quarter panel.

Spyrex, do you have any film on your car? I'd bet you do. Just because you drive a car like it's supposed to be driven doesn't mean you don't want to try and maintain it's original luster or keep it in premium resale condition.
I've got there, on the hood, roof and mirrors:roll
Old 08-12-2015, 10:25 PM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Not just RS's my NB GT3's have the same issue and this was never tracked:

The roads in your neighborhood make track work look pretty tame when it comes to the rash.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
yep I have film as I stated above, i have a double layer of film in front of the rear doors but the film and paint in areas it doesn't cover, edges, places it doesn't really protect get beat up. Check along the black side sills, even with wrapped film that place gets beat to hell. Track or not it still gets beat up. Fat sticky tires kick up crap. I have a set of used GT2 sills that were off a 10k car NEVER driven on track and they are decently beat underneath. totally presentable but marked up

If you want to scare yourself put your car on a rack and look at the sills eye level.

Point being, the fat hips and wide sticky tires are going to cause the car to get marks no matter what you do if you drive it. Film helps a little. The stock film doesn't provide enough coverage up the hips.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

thats character
Old 08-13-2015, 01:27 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Depends on the track. COTA, probably not. Tracks where the edge past the track surface has grass, dirt, rocks yes.

Quick Reply: Do All Tracked RS's Have Peppered Rear Fenders