Keep reading or not, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:59 AM
ZMC-ZH
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Keep reading or not, that is the question

Hi Everyone

I was in the market a couple of months back for a manual fun car and ended up with a GT3. Let's face it, I am a F car fan but finding a recent manual is close to impossible, older ones I already have access to or will never be able to afford .

Now that I have been doing a bit of reading on the forum I HATE YOU ALL because:
1- My car in those +/- 2 months of ownership and +/- 1.5k miles hardly ever smokes or makesa rattle noise on startup. Still looking for a bit of oil on the floor so now I am wondering if I ended up with a fake GT3
2- I did not think of flash DME when checking for overrevs and hat myself for it. Car officially came with 0 overrews, this may or may not have changed since I did it the limiter a few times.
3- I did not stretch myself for a RS and can't decide whether it was a mistake or not. As someone said on the forum, only here will someone think a standard GT3 is not enough but man does the widebody looks good. RS 3.8 are for me the best looking of the serie.
4- I am always worried my car's water are going to brake loose like a 9.1 months pregnant girlfriend. I got the tools to fix it with the engine in after reading the post here, still did not come around to do it.
5- Engine sometimes runs a little rough at low RPM, 1.5k-2k going across town. That gets me worried about my actuator screws backing up. Are there any cases documented for non modified 3.8 standard cars?
6- The suspension is way good enough for my current use but still want the DSC box, just the DSC.
6b- What the hell, why not the tractive as well - budget maybe
7- I want some rss or other mounts to adress the change from 2nd to 3rd gear issue. Glad I am not the only one with it.
8- I am in Switzerland and thinking of shipping my car to a shark pound somewhere in CA because 3.8 does not sounds remotely as good as 4.1
9- Like every sane GT3 owner I went to inspect my rear fender and make sure no rivet or screws or whatever was messing it up
10- Yes I will take my car for a trip in a heart bit, missing the ability to put a bike rack as on my M Coupe. It will look good (gay?) with my BMC SLR01 on top of it (Yes I also have a carbon bike but no, I can't post any doggy picture when a thread annoys me. Btw I did buy the car because I believe it will holds its value, not as investment. Hoping P will not launch another manual GT3).

Car is a 2010 black GT3, clubsport with CGT buckets, sport chrono (useless but looks good to me) and some other goodies, no PCCB. I am having the option to add a cargraphic exhaust, manifold, side muffler delete, high flow cats, valves retained (stock silencer).
1st scary moment with the car was picking it up with the GF who did not see it previously. I did mention clubsport meant cage, bucket seats and fire-extinguisher. I failed to mention the fire extinguisher is bolted right in the middle of the footwell - silly me. She did not care that much.

Still getting used to the balance, relatively confusing for me for spirited driving but not full attack (full attack ok), got 1 track day (half rainy) with it after 2 weeks of ownership and had no problems there.

Looking forward to keeping reading your posts.
Seen a couple of Swiss guys around, always up for some nice passes one day.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2015, 08:19 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Congratulations on your GT3 ZMC! You have great mountain roads to enjoy your car too. Wouldn't worry about the GT3 vs GT3RS debate - you have a fantastic car. Don't see Porsche producing another GT car in the future that is that close to the motorsport car.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:14 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats. Does the GF also wonder where to stow her purse through the rollbar in back?

Oh, you forgot, "The sky is falling". Chicken Little.

Enjoy.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Hahahha

This place is great but honestly the less time you spend on here the better.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:18 AM
ZMC-ZH
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.
Looking forward to go and enjoy the car on some twisty roads here.
Question for the 3.8 Non-RS owners, is the engine slightly vibrating at idle? Not crazy but enough to feel it sitting in the car.
Cheers
Old 07-20-2015, 09:51 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post some pictures, something I am finally figuring out (sort of) how to do.

Welcome and all the best....
Old 07-20-2015, 05:11 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Modena 1
Hahahha

This place is great but honestly the less time you spend on here the better.
agreed - it will save you from spending more money than you already have.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:25 AM
ZMC-ZH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r6elmo
agreed - it will save you from spending more money than you already have.
That is the feeling I have.
Will go for the exhaust though as cargraphics claims 17hp gain and, if I recall correctly, somewhere around 40 pounds less.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:23 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the full-on no-muffler Sharkwerk's track exhaust on our '07 GT3. Loud, and absolutely fantastic. I have no idea of what it does to the engine's power, supposedly a bit less torque down low, and more power up high. But I have no idea of any numbers, but for sure, loosing 40 pounds from the rear of the car does make a significant difference in handling.

Welcome, and all the best.....
Old 07-22-2015, 06:19 AM
ZMC-ZH
Rennlist Member

Staying away from this site will definitely save me some money but I haven't been very successful so far.
I would love a full on exhaust but I'd rather not let everyone knows I am arriving from 10 miles away.

Here are some pics.

Pre-buy test and inspection

Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMC-ZH
Thanks guys.
Looking forward to go and enjoy the car on some twisty roads here.
Question for the 3.8 Non-RS owners, is the engine slightly vibrating at idle? Not crazy but enough to feel it sitting in the car.
Cheers
Yes, it's very mechanical in sound. Nothing artificial created via an exhaust system

Quick Reply: Keep reading or not, that is the question