Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is techron safe for Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:34 PM
agentf1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is techron safe for Porsche?

I have used techron fuel additive every so often for years and it has always worked great. In my C5 Vette it would actually fix my fuel gauge by cleaning the sensor. If I didn't use it the gauge would drop to empty every once in a while. Since then I have used it in all my cars every 6 month or so.

What are your thoughts on using this with the Porsche GT3 fuel system?
Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I use before every oil change.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:34 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here, run a bottle thru on a half tank in all my cars, then change the oil. Never noted any performance improvement, but an once of prevention......

All the best...
Old 07-13-2015, 08:37 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Just curious... why before an oil change? Just a routine thing? Or is there some technical reason?
Old 07-13-2015, 09:21 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

I also was told to add to a tank of gas, run through the tank, and then dump the oil. I am surmising deposits and ?? must end up in the oil after the solution has cleaned the injectors, etc. I do it every three thousand miles with the oil & filter change. So far, no problems whatsoever with the car, so I will keep repeating this routine.

Last edited by HarmonyJim; 07-13-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:36 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Not only is it safe, there was a TSB recommending it - Fill up tank w. fuel, add a bottle of Techron, run until fuel tank half full, then fill up again w. fuel. And yes, I generally try to run it before oil changes.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:15 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Not only is it safe, there was a TSB recommending it - Fill up tank w. fuel, add a bottle of Techron, run until fuel tank half full, then fill up again w. fuel. And yes, I generally try to run it before oil changes.
+1

I have been using it for nearly 20 years in my 911's. My 911SC ran much better when used regularly. The dealer recommended it be used at least annually to clean the injectors. I still use it before each oil change in my GT3.

PS. The TSB I have is number 8510 dated Dec. 6, 1985
Old 07-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,090 Posts

I use chevron gas in all my cars and use techron additive every now and again. Just put a bottle in the antique.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:42 PM
FJSeattle
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.porsche.com/china/en/acce.../fueladditive/

Fuel additive for unmistakable driving characteristics.

Besides following the recommended Porsche maintenance intervals it is important to use the Porsche approved fuel supplement - Keropur. Because poor fuel quality may result in deposits forming on the inner surfaces of the engine and the fuel system, which could lead to the following:

Reduced performance
Increase of fuel consumption
Engine failure and/or reduced engine life
Due to these factors and in order to protect the vehicle’s engine, the Porsche approved fuel additive Keropur has been introduced and can be used for all Porsche models.

The regular usage of Keropur helps to:

stop the build up of carbon on spark plug electrode, which can cause misfires.
prevent carbon build up in the chamber, which can increase compression temperature causing pre-ignition of air fuel mix.
prevent build up of deposits on top of valve optimising air fuel mixture.
prevent deposit build up at injector nozzle which helps fuel flow.
The effectiveness of Keropur depends on its continuous utilisation. Accordingly every time refuelling the vehicle one can of Keropur needs to be added. Preferably for reasons of blending the additive should be added before refuelling.

You can purchase Keropur from all authorised Porsche Centres. For more information about Keropur please contact your local Porsche Centre, they will be more than happy to assist you. You may also refer to your Guarantee & Maintenance booklet.

The video above shows you the working process of the combustion chamber and the relevant parts of your engine, such as spark plug, valve, piston and injector nozzle, which are protected by the use of fuel additive.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:24 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 315 Posts

I've been reading about how Chevron/Exon/Mobil (Standard Oil) developed gasoline additives in the '20s/30's, and even the synthetic gasoline made from coal, sold and shared the technology developments with the Germans under agreements, before and during WWII. Tetraethyl lead anti-knock technology for airplane and wartime gas engines, etc.

So I would imagine that modern day additives aren't snake oil either, and pump gas already has quite a bit of what's needed-

Liqui Moly also makes additives-

Quick Reply: Is techron safe for Porsche?