Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 Battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:38 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 116 Posts

I was having funky electrical problems - new battery fixed them - just get fresh battery
Old 07-10-2015, 11:57 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The H6 is what I had in my RS. It fits fine. Any H6 / group 48 battery will do, Interstate are quality and have good warranty. I have personally also had good luck with AutoZone Duralast Gold batteries. All these batteries are made by the same 2-3 companies. The 94R or H7 size will also fit, are a little bigger/more capacity. 48 / H6 will also fit too. The tray has holes to hold both sizes.

just put the battery in
once in, you'll probably need to reset your stored radio stations
you might need to set your clock
some warnings will come on when you start your car, just drive it a few mins, they should clear
if not, just go to dealer and have them reset the computer codes

on the 1-10 scale, where washing a car is a 1, putting a battery in is a 2. in fact, if you count cleaning e88 bbs after a track day, washing is like a 5... lol. If you can turn a wrench you can do this. The hardest part is the weight, they are heavy. Put a towel in the frunk and over the bumper, and stand in there and lift out, CAREFULLY.
Thanks so much, very informative. Autozone is good place to shop, will check that tmr.

Regards,
Old 07-12-2015, 10:31 PM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

When I leave my car for 2-3 weeks while traveling for work and can't trickle charge my battery, I plan on doing the following.
1) Lock the car door
2) Pop the hood
3) Unhook the negative side of the battery cable
4) place a towel in the hood latch
5) lower hood onto the towel/latch
6) Throw my car cover on

This should preserve the battery while I'm away and can't trickle charge it. Now if somebody takes the cover off and shuts my hood... I'm screwed but what a dick move
Old 07-12-2015, 11:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

You can also stick a screwdriver in the latch and trip the latch so it won't lock, you have to pull the switch to close the hood. my shop does this.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:19 AM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

i had a job where the projects i was working on had me home for 1 week and gone for 2 weeks. did that routine for 2 years before i got burned out on traveling so much. during that whole time though i never used a trickle charger and never had an issue with battery in my Evo 8 or my RS4.

do Porsches have some sort of battery draining feature that other cars don't???
Old 07-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Saru385
i had a job where the projects i was working on had me home for 1 week and gone for 2 weeks. did that routine for 2 years before i got burned out on traveling so much. during that whole time though i never used a trickle charger and never had an issue with battery in my Evo 8 or my RS4.

do Porsches have some sort of battery draining feature that other cars don't???
No. but some don't drive their cars enough when they do drive to keep,battery topped up. Plus a maintainer will keep it topped which lead acid batteries prefer.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:26 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 117 Posts

I bought my battery at Walmart. Easy to replace.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:28 PM
noodlehouser
2nd Gear

Default BIG spark connecting new battery

When connecting a new Interstate battery today in my 997 there was a STRONG spark at the neg terminal which I did not think was normal. We have been having discharge problems with the old battery which wouldn't hold a charge very well (only abt 3+ years old). At one point I was able to measure an 86 mA draw btwn the disconnected negative clamp and the battery post, but then the aligator clip slipped off the post and I lost the reading and my PCM settings before I could begin sequentially pulling fuses from the box to try and find the offending circuit. I was not able to recreate the mysterious drain. Any suggestions/advise greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!
Old 07-20-2015, 12:17 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

I bought the NONO Genius BG30, it just can not jump the car. When I connect it, the lights are on, windows work, AC works, just can not start the engine. some sound like "Ge---ge---ge---ge" happens and the window is down , and the emergency lights is on automatically.

I went to Autozone, tried to purchase a new battery. The seller there said it may not the battery problem, he mentioned it may due to the code lock of porsche. I have no idea.

Also, can I use the jump cable hook to my BMW to jump start gt3?

Maybe the best solution is to call a tow to shop. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Old 07-20-2015, 12:24 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 997GT3RS
I bought the NONO Genius BG30, it just can not jump the car. When I connect it, the lights are on, windows work, AC works, just can not start the engine. some sound like "Ge---ge---ge---ge" happens and the window is down , and the emergency lights is on automatically.

I went to Autozone, tried to purchase a new battery. The seller there said it may not the battery problem, he mentioned it may due to the code lock of porsche. I have no idea.

Regards,
Bud - no offense, but I think you should tow to dealer and have them fix for ya if you arent mechanically inclined.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:00 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 187 Posts

Regards,
your battery is dead, you will need a new one. wet batteries dont like to be completely discharged like that

you can't start your car because the battery is completely dead, leave the charger pack connected for a bit, then go back and try again. you're better off using jumper cables, and charging the battery up a bit, then starting. make sure all your electronics are off...or you risk frying them
Old 07-20-2015, 04:08 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Originally Posted by ngng
your battery is dead, you will need a new one. wet batteries dont like to be completely discharged like that

you can't start your car because the battery is completely dead, leave the charger pack connected for a bit, then go back and try again. you're better off using jumper cables, and charging the battery up a bit, then starting. make sure all your electronics are off...or you risk frying them
I tried to leave the charger pack connected for a while, and still can not start the engine.
I will go to Autozone for a new battery to see what will happen, Duralast Platinum/Battery Part Number: H7-AGM *** 850 Cold cranking amps (1000 cranking amps)***. 140 / 80 reserve minutes.

Thanks for your suggestion
Old 07-20-2015, 04:37 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 187 Posts

I tried to leave the charger pack connected for a while, and still can not start the engine.
I will go to Autozone for a new battery to see what will happen, Duralast Platinum/Battery Part Number: H7-AGM *** 850 Cold cranking amps (1000 cranking amps)***. 140 / 80 reserve minutes.

Thanks for your suggestion
after youve left the battery pack connected for a while you probably want to recharge it before trying to jump it
Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Originally Posted by ngng
after youve left the battery pack connected for a while you probably want to recharge it before trying to jump it
I purchased Duralast Platinum H7-AGM CCA 800, and replaced it myself. The engine starts now, but the ABS failure and TC failure warning are still there.

The vent hose of the car can fit the old battery, but can not fit the new one. How to deal with the vent tube in the car? Do I have to buy a kit to fit the new battery? or Just leave it without any taking care?

Please advise.

Best regards

Last edited by 997GT3RS; 07-24-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you can use some small adapter. It should be connected. I have an example I'll go look for that I once made for an Interstate .
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 997.1 Battery problem