Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

IMS Direct Oil Feed for 06'

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 11:01 AM
FLTPLAN
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Direct Oil Feed for 06'

Hi all, just picked up an 06' 997S Cab. Also found out that the 06' happens to be a year that has the unserviceable IMS Bearing. I'm certainly not losing sleep over this, but was cosidering preventative measures and some options should the catastrophic failure happen. Came across this Direct Oil Feed system.
http://tunersmotorsports.com/?page_id=103

This seems to keep the bearing oiled, although, I was under the impression that it was somewhat "sealed". I've also read about removing a seal to allow the bearing to be oiled correctly. If anyone has any info on this mod and it's ability to lubricate and cool this bearing, which would seem to solve the issue, I'd greatly appreciate it. I spoke with Tunersmotorsports yesterday, the kit is $800 I believe.

All of my research on these bearings has been done here and on Pelican, I have used the search function extensively. I choose to post a thread in hopes that there may be something new on the horizon that I haven't been able to feret out.

I haven't found too many options if the failure does occur. These engines are not readily for sale as far as I've found. I guess Porsche used to sell them very cheap, but that is not the case anymore. Sounds like a 20k repair/replacement.

Anyways, appreciate any insight...
Old 07-11-2015, 08:40 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

I did the bearing upgrade on my 2000 C2. When we removed the original OEM battery after 50K miles, it looked and spun perfectly. You never know with these, but the replacement has been done by many owners, and from what I have heard, has been exceedingly successful. Cost about $2K all told incl the kit and the install. Have someone qualified do the exchange, replace the main seal while in there, as well as maybe the clutch if needed. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:57 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

You will find more information about IMS on the 997 Forum.

GT2 and GT3 engines are different from your Carrera and do not have the subject IMS bearing problem.

You are fortunate in one respect, Porsche began using a larger IMS single row bearing in 2006.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being a prior 997S owner, I followed the IMS problem on the M96/M97 motors, esp since my son had the IMS go on his own 996 Cab, requiring a replacement motor. But the IMS in your car is much less likely to fail than the one in the prior cars. There is a long running thread on your concern in the 997 forum. Much less worry for you.

All the best...

Quick Reply: IMS Direct Oil Feed for 06'