Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Walther Rohrl crashes 918 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 03:39 PM
wogamax
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

What would have been the harm of steering into that skid? Flat spots?

A 918 probably doesn't want to come around as easy.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:39 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know there are some furthered track rats here but try is dissect or give advice to THE Walther Rohrl.... really? He could drive circles around 99% of those on here with one hand behind his back and still not break a smile.

I guess any less of a mortal would have gone backwards or forwards into the concrete and properly stuffed it.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:07 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
I know there are some furthered track rats here but try is dissect or give advice to THE Walther Rohrl.... really? He could drive circles around 99% of those on here with one hand behind his back and still not break a smile.

I guess any less of a mortal would have gone backwards or forwards into the concrete and properly stuffed it.
+1

Anyone that have pushed themself or your car to the limit knows that things can go wrong.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:31 AM
boyko23
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MadScience
The premise of the video is top lap time for a number of categories of cars. His job was to get the overall top time as well, and he was completely convinced that it wasn't going to happen. No grip, only two corners where he could go fast, and not enough power. No power despite how perfect the setup was at the Nurburgring. His only hope for less failure was a temperature swing in his favor.

His best time was 1:30.35 (good for second), and he would have had to beat a time of 1:28.44. The Tikt Corvette was supposedly producing 850hp, which shouldn't really put it out of reach of a 918. Perhaps something really wasn't working correctly.
Correct.
And the problem was with this exact media car. Keep in mind, that all these non customer cars are also development ones. After every media test, they have many glitches and damages, which was the case here too - this car was in Italy days before the test in the hands of Auto.it.

As we all know, customer cars are... better and faster...
Old 06-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
Now I'm no pro; but most upper level DE and def club racers would have put "both feet in when in a spin" and that car would have backed away from the wall to a safer run off area to the driver's left. Good ol' Walt tried to counter steer and correct it with more throttle... bad result...
+1 Or in this case one foot in. But then there's that pesky ABS.....

Quick Reply: Walther Rohrl crashes 918 Spyder