Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

TPS replacement for 08 GT2

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:33 PM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPS replacement for 08 GT2

Getting ready to replace original tires. As such, TPS's are original and now 7 years old. Thought it would be a good time to replace them but dealer quotes $800 (not happening. Can those with experience doing the same confirm these are the right ones for an 08 GT2? Thanks.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/-...FViUfgodzrkAfw
Old 05-23-2015, 03:05 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

The factory ones always seem to last longer than the knock offs. Recently replaced them from my 08. One was going bad. Think they were like 480 total from my local dealer? Stick to factory if you want them to last at least 6-7 years
Old 05-23-2015, 06:11 AM
mepps
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine at suncoast for my 08 543. shipped but that also included an emblem, just give them your vin, I believe I talked to Laurie
Old 05-23-2015, 07:51 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just before my former '07 997S went off its CPO, one or more of my sensors started giving error messages, so all four were replaced under warranty by a Porsche dealer. Their cost was right at a grand. A large part of the cost was dismounting and remounting the tires. Now, for our '07 GT3, one or more recently started giving me the error messages, so I went to my trusty Discount Tire place, where they are exceedingly careful with all of our cars, and they only replaced one, they have a way to check the battery life remaining with some sort of sensor tool. There are a number of companies which make sensors for cars, and I am about to replace all four on my daughter's 4 year old turbo Mini as one of them is dead. Given the service cost, I would agree that it would be advisable to spend the extra money for OEM from someone like Suncoast. I order quite a bit from them, really good folks there.

I have heard that the sensors can be turned off with a durametic or some other tool, but personally, I like the sensors, as with low profile tires it can be easy to drive on an underinflated tire with possible consequences.

all the best....
Old 05-23-2015, 08:43 AM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. These are supposed the same item made by the OE. I will give Suncoast a shout. Just was not sure if I needed 433MHz or 315MHz (I'm pretty sure 433). Mine are all working, just thought I'd be preventative. Have a Durametric, could play around with turning the things off I guess.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:09 AM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$160 for a set of knock offs on Ebay. Even if they last half as long it's still cheaper (incl. remounting at about $100 for 4 whees).

Don't really need to remount though. Just break the bead on the outside and you can access the sensors. Done it a couple of times. About an hour's work for all 4...
Old 05-23-2015, 06:46 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never dealt with them, but another source:

http://www.shoptpms.com/
Old 05-23-2015, 09:15 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingpenguin
$160 for a set of knock offs on Ebay. Even if they last half as long it's still cheaper (incl. remounting at about $100 for 4 whees).

Don't really need to remount though. Just break the bead on the outside and you can access the sensors. Done it a couple of times. About an hour's work for all 4...
Interesting approach... should save the need for re-balancing.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I just coded mine out, never have to deal with it again. I trust my Longacre liquid filled mechanical gauge more.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:59 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got back from picking up four sensors and stems for my daughter's '10 Turbo Mini, as she has an alert showing one of them is out. Her alert does not show which one, just that one is inoperable. So i just paid $468 for the set and will get them installed soon. I checked online, and called the Mini parts guy here in Charleston, SC, and apparently there are about 5 different stems, and I have to use the correct ones for her OEM wheels. Getting them on-line was not much cheaper than OEM. She runs Michelin SS tires, not run flats, and I want her to be safe and aware of a low tire before she is stranded somewhere. It is what fathers do for their daughters.

I have always tied to find a way to warn other drivers of low tire pressure when I am driving, with mixed results. So I got to thinking, as car's begin to age and drift down to a lower economic owner, how in the world are these less prosperous owners going to be able to periodically replace their sensors as years and even decades pass? They won't, is my guess. Correct tire pressure is vital for safe operation of any car, and it is just too expensive to keep pressure sensors working as car's age. No body is going to put $500 worth of sending units in $3000 used cars.

Just got to thinking about this when I drove home today, surrounded my old sometimes worn out looking cars.

All the best....
Old 05-26-2015, 08:35 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

^^ That's a very interesting and valid point. I'm surprised these sensors still cost as much as they do. These damn things cost more than I used to pay for tires! (non-Porsches)
Old 05-29-2015, 01:07 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NAM VET
I just got back from picking up four sensors and stems for my daughter's '10 Turbo Mini, as she has an alert showing one of them is out. Her alert does not show which one, just that one is inoperable. So i just paid $468 for the set and will get them installed soon. I checked online, and called the Mini parts guy here in Charleston, SC, and apparently there are about 5 different stems, and I have to use the correct ones for her OEM wheels. Getting them on-line was not much cheaper than OEM. She runs Michelin SS tires, not run flats, and I want her to be safe and aware of a low tire before she is stranded somewhere. It is what fathers do for their daughters.

I have always tied to find a way to warn other drivers of low tire pressure when I am driving, with mixed results. So I got to thinking, as car's begin to age and drift down to a lower economic owner, how in the world are these less prosperous owners going to be able to periodically replace their sensors as years and even decades pass? They won't, is my guess. Correct tire pressure is vital for safe operation of any car, and it is just too expensive to keep pressure sensors working as car's age. No body is going to put $500 worth of sending units in $3000 used cars.

Just got to thinking about this when I drove home today, surrounded my old sometimes worn out looking cars.

All the best....

Yep, all that standard sensor equipment is bad enough on an older Porsche now they are pushing this as std equipment on everything from a Ford Focus. It really is a bit much, but consumers "THEY A LUV THE BULL****." Gov't safety concerns are not worried about the little persons wallet- bc "we all drive new cars with a new car warranty?"...

anyway- cheers.

MY good info is the sensors last 70mo. I go hosed on my 997TT.. I'd go the tirerack option next time. & knowing is have the battle.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:57 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonwb
Interesting approach... should save the need for re-balancing.
I have replaced my factory sensors with non-OEM twice now. First time on an 07 C2S, second time on my 08 GT3 - both times purchased from OE Wheels.

The units I bought for the C2S weighed about the same as the OE sensors, so the "just break the bead, replace, reinflate, no balance required" worked fine.

The units I got for the GT3 were Oro-Teks, and weighed about a third less than the OE sensors. That resulted in a noticeable imbalance - so had to have the wheels/tires rebalanced.

Quick Reply: TPS replacement for 08 GT2